Packers in all white socks

harva4

Well if we're gonna take it to extremes, then every player should be wearing the exact same helmets, facemasks, gloves, elbow pads, tape and any other piece of equipment that's visible.

As a fan, my only concern is "can I tell at first glance that these guys are teammates?" and "can I tell at first glance that these guys are on opposite teams?" Socks aren't going to make either one of those questions difficult for me to answer. No one ever had that problem when I played in high school and college where there were no regulations regarding socks (or even shoes).

Here's some pics

fullj.getty-75557939dp031_green_bay_pac.jpg

capt.459721572fd84d1f8542a6798993b1fc.packers_broncos_football_codz106.jpg

Harris with black shoes against Minnesota 9/30

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/get...een_bay_pac.jpg

Aside from the obvious rule issue, I think the all-white socks are very clean look. Goes well with the yellow pants and white jersey, IMO.

Well if we're gonna take it to extremes, then every player should be wearing the exact same helmets, facemasks, gloves, elbow pads, tape and any other piece of equipment that's visible.

I don't think it's exactly "taking it to extremes" to suggest that all members of a team should wear the same color helmets and facemasks. :rolleyes:

I didn't suggest that all equipment had to be identical - obviously different positions have different requirements as far as pads, facemask style and protective gear goes. Will some players need to tape? Sure. But that's different from a player putting tape stripes across his helmet to set himself apart (if you would like an extreme in the other direction).

But the basic components of the uniform - yes. They should be the same. That is, I continue to believe, the point of a uniform.

Aside from the obvious rule issue, I think the all-white socks are very clean look. Goes well with the yellow pants and white jersey, IMO.

I don't disagree. I liked it when they wore white socks in 2001:

touch1122.jpg

pack13112201.jpg

Personally, I've never liked the half-color, half-white look. Give me full-color socks every time, like the ones Detroit wore as part of its throwback uniform.

I don't think it's exactly "taking it to extremes" to suggest that all members of a team should wear the same color helmets and facemasks. :rolleyes:

I was referring to the style of helmets and facemasks. Peyton Manning's revolution helmet technically isn't "uniform" with the majority of the Colts still using the classic shells.

But add me to the pro-soild-color-socks camp. If the Packers don't go back to the Lombardi-era unis, I'd love to see solid green socks at home and solid white on the road........

......assuming we're going to be needlessly anal about these things :D

Ah, but that's apples and oranges.

Different positions, as I said before, have varying equipment requirements. I wouldn't require receivers to wear a lineman's neck brace. So long as the equipment they're wearing is still the same color, obviously there have to be some variations.

I have no problem with players wearing compression socks instead of regular ones. So long as they're in the team color and style.

But that's really a red herring. This isn't a safety issue, or an equipment issue. This is an issue of players who can't make a statement with their play choosing instead to make a statement with their uniforms.

......assuming we're going to be needlessly anal about these things :D

Once again, are you sure you're on the right boards? :P

I guess my problem is the automatic assumption that their reason for doing it is to stand out aesthetically in lieu of athletics.

When I was on the club team at UWM, I wore a pair of bright yellow-gold knee highs. Yea, they were loud, but I didn't do it to stand out. I did it because I honestly thought that was the best look for our unis. We wore black shells, black jerseys and black pants and I thought we needed some yellow to break up the monotony. I even encouraged a few guys to take up the look with me.

Given that, is it so hard to believe that a guy like Woodson, a former Wolverine, might think solid white socks are a good look seeing as how the Packers wear a similar shade of yellow and share a similar history?

I guess my problem is the automatic assumption that their reason for doing it is to stand out aesthetically in lieu of athletics.

When I was on the club team at UWM, I wore a pair of bright yellow-gold knee highs. Yea, they were loud, but I didn't do it to stand out. I did it because I honestly thought that was the best look for our unis. We wore black shells, black jerseys and black pants and I thought we needed some yellow to break up the monotony. I even encouraged a few guys to take up the look with me.

Given that, is it so hard to believe that a guy like Woodson, a former Wolverine, might think solid white socks are a good look seeing as how the Packers wear a similar shade of yellow and share a similar history?

Um, the example you offer is precisely "to stand out aesthetically in lieu of athletics".

If Harris or Woodson think the team should change, then they should get the team to change. That's what the Seahawks did with their all-scuba suits (which, as much as I dislike, I admit meet the uniform requirements). The players liked the mono look, so the team made it the home uniform. That's the proper response.

Archived