Brazil Lands 2014 FIFA World Cup

Brian in Boston

FIFA has formally announced the selection of Brazil as the host nation for the 2014 World Cup. The country was the sole bidder for the right to host the tournament.

The Brazilian football federation now faces the daunting task of building or refurbishing every single stadium needed to host the event. FIFA identified 18 potential host sites with capacity in excess of 40,000. Of the 18, four would have to be built from the ground up. The other 14 would require major renovations. Most of the existing stadia on the list aren't equipped to handle television commentary facilities. Ultimately, nine or ten facilities will host games.

FIFA has also announced that it is discontinuing the policy of strictly rotating the World Cup amongst continents. The competition to land World Cup hosting duties is now open to any country that wishes to bid for the event, regardless of which continent the tournament was last held on.

Australia, a joint Belgium/Netherlands effort, China, England, Japan, Mexico, Russia and the United States are all expected to bid to host the 2018 World Cup.

Well...I guess that harpoons their Olympics bid.

:censored:

You know they'd rather have the WC though. They'd sell wayyy more tickets.

I want to go though. Doubt I'll be able to afford it as a college junior.

It's not so much what they'd rather have as what I'd rather not have.

Australia, a joint Belgium/Netherlands effort, China, England, Japan, Mexico, Russia and the United States are all expected to bid to host the 2018 World Cup.

Any of these not located in Europe would be wise to pull out now. There's no way FIFA would keep the World Cup outside of Europe for a third consecutive time.

The US and others would be wise and bid on the 2022 World Cup.

Not necessarily....remember the US hosted the 94 World Cup and the 1996 Summer Games.

I'm sure the situations in both nations are completely different, but it's not like it hasn't happened before.

I don't think so. Mexico had hosted the 1968 Olympics and the 1970 World Cup.

About 2014 Brazil, wow, a World Cup near my Argentinean home. :D

Expectations in regards to infrastructure and new facilities have increased fairly dramatically since then. It is not an outrageous statement to say that, unless your country has the GDP of the United States, hosting both events in quick succession would destroy your nation's economy.

That...and the PanAm games this year were reportedly a minor disaster. Not exactly a strong endorsement of Brazil's ability to host ONE worldwide sporting event, let alone two in two years.

I hope we get 2018.

We've got the venues ready, including the MCG and Telstra Stadium.

And FIFA would surely want to get the event to this region of the world.

I see England as the major opponent here, but I think we might get them on weather conditions.

It might be winter but there's still more sun than the hottest summer day in London.

Predicting Future World Cups:

2018 England

2022 United States

2026 Australia

2030 Spain/Portugal (Joint Bid)

2034 China

2038 Italy

2042 Canada

2046 The Moon

2050 Iraq

2054 France

2058 France

2062 France

2066 French Republic of Germany

2070 The Ball-in-Glove Empire

Brazil......bad choice, even though there was no choice. Its just as bad as South Africa. For a Football nation its strange that they dont have the infrastructure nor the actual structures. Wheres this money coming from? Venezuela just hosted the Gold Cup (?) and it looked great.

Brazil unfortunately ends the rotation, its too bad the US couldnt get in on America as a whole because its going to be awhile before we can host it again with some of the interesting countries that want to bid for future cups. England should have had it instead of Germany. Australia will get it. Italy wont host anytime soon after all the gambling problems theyve had. Japan won't, at least not any time soon, same with China. I guess the US will be 3 or 4 after Brazil. Canada? Never say never, but no, never.

The World Cup should be in South America again

That is why FIFA gave Brazil the 2014 World Cup. ;)

Expectations in regards to infrastructure and new facilities have increased fairly dramatically since then. It is not an outrageous statement to say that, unless your country has the GDP of the United States, hosting both events in quick succession would destroy your nation's economy.

That...and the PanAm games this year were reportedly a minor disaster. Not exactly a strong endorsement of Brazil's ability to host ONE worldwide sporting event, let alone two in two years.

You are right. In Argentina I read about the PanAm Games and it was a real damage to the economy of Rio de Janeiro.

But I think the Olympics are different to the World Cup in the Brazil case. Why? Because Brazil loves too much soccer and its inhabitants surely fill the stadiums. The keystone will be the price of the tickets.

Ah, I forgot another example of hosting Olympics and WC: West Germany. 1972 München and 1974 World Cup.

2018 England

2022 United States

2026 Australia

2034 China

2038 Italy

2042 Canada

There is word that the 2030 WC will be hosted in Argentina/Uruguay because 2030 is the centenary of the first World Cup held in 1930. That year Uruguay defeated Argentina 4-2 in the first ever final.

logo2030.jpg

2018 England

2022 United States

2026 Australia

2034 China

2038 Italy

2042 Canada

2046 The Moon

2050 Iraq

2054 France

2058 France

2062 France

2066 French Republic of Germany

2070 The Ball-in-Glove Empire

2066 - I don't think even in a fantasy world the Germans would let that happen. You'd wake up and have to apologize to them. :P

and as for 2070, that is a glorious empire i one day hope to live in. :P

Not necessarily....remember the US hosted the 94 World Cup and the 1996 Summer Games.

I'm sure the situations in both nations are completely different, but it's not like it hasn't happened before.

Let's just say that the economic conditions in the two countries differ enormously. Further, the United States didn't have to build stadiums from scratch or extensively renovate facilities in order to host the 1994 World Cup.

Bottom line: rams80 is right. Barring a huge turn-around in Brazil's overall economic health, landing the 2014 World Cup has most likely delivered a death blow to Rio de Janeiro's 2016 Summer Olympics bid. The country's economic/business infrastructure will be unable to generate the revenue necessary to host both events.

Sorry, rams80... at this juncture, the 2016 Summer Olympic Games are Chicago's to lose.

Archived