Bruins logo symbolism?

Footix

I've got a small argument brewing (brewin'?) here. Can someone tell me why the Bruins logo has 8 spokes in it? I think it's because it used to take 8 games to win the Stanley Cup (a la the octopi in Detroit), but my mom thinks it's got something to do with New England (never mind that there are only 6 New England states). Does anyone know what the real reason is?

i always thought it was just so there would be one coming out of each side/corner of the B

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

I thought it was a hubcap and has something to do with Boston being the "Hub City" or the "Hub of Hockey"

Actually, you are very close. The spokes that intersect the B relates to Boston being the Hub of the new world as it was in the 1700's. It was a clever at the time way to incorporate a little history to the B. Or little known history as it turns out.

L'etoile du nord

I thought it was a hubcap and has something to do with Boston being the "Hub City" or the "Hub of Hockey"

Actually, you are very close. The spokes that intersect the B relates to Boston being the Hub of the new world as it was in the 1700's. It was a clever at the time way to incorporate a little history to the B. Or little known history as it turns out.

Doesn't it also have some thing to do with, that back then all roads led to Boston.

girardi-1.png

lyip4wfi.pngzc9hmqq6.png

Thanks KaTo

Doesn't it also have some thing to do with, that back then all roads led to Boston.

Oliver Wendell Holmes referred to Boston (Specifically the Boston State House) as the "Hub of the Universe" in the 1850s, that's where the name came from. And I never thought my "History of Boston" class I took in college would be useful for anything other than driving a tour trolley.

Here's a reference point..

http://www.celebrateboston.com/gallery/hub...solarsystem.htm

Oliver Wendell Holmes referred to Boston (Specifically the Boston State House) as the "Hub of the Universe" in the 1850s, that's where the name came from. And I never thought my "History of Boston" class I took in college would be useful for anything other than driving a tour trolley.

MOD EDIT - Let's keep the thread focused on the meaning behind the design of the Boston Bruins' "Spoked-B" logo. Thank you.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

MOD EDIT - Let's keep the thread focused on the meaning behind design of the Boston Bruins' "Spoked-B" logo. Thank you.

MOD EDIT

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

So you're saying people from Boston were conceited :censored: holes long before the current generation? Interesting to learn. <_<

Buddy, take a break. It's not healthy and it's kind of getting old....

MOD EDIT

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

MOD EDIT

Today, we are all otaku.

MOD EDIT

If the Bruins logo does indeed symbolize a "hub" then it would explain a lot. For years I just thought it was somekind of Irish Catholic symbol or something of that nature due to Boston's large Irish population. But what the heck do I know?

all roads lead to Boston , that's the reason nothing to do with the 1700's .

MOD EDIT

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived