The world's most ridiculous team names

AndrewPF

http://www.cracked.com/article_15646_world...team-names.html

that page has a lot of stupid/ funny/non-threatening/ironic team names.

no love for kewp's kewpies in the non-threatening inanimate objects section! :therock:

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

One of my friends goes to STLCOP.

They're gonna get so much :censored: from me when I see them next. :P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

is that a sabres logo i see?

bananaslugs.jpg

:D

This is simply asking for a beavis and butt-head joke.

buttepirates.jpg

as is this:

Deportivo Wanka (Peruvian soccer team)

and this:

Chattanooga Central Purple Pounders (High school)

and there is no excuse for this:

scrotie.jpg

Rhode Island School of Design Nads (College)

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Here is my LIST

Bearcats...WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? Does one even exist? How can it be a bear, and then a cat? Please explain.

Browns...Named after a man. What if his name was SMITH???

Cardinals, Blue Jays, Thrashers... Did I miss any angry little bird? At least a PIGEON is fat...

Cubs...Would you name your team the puppies or kittens or babies?

Supersonics...Again WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!!?? A space niedle? Lenny Wilkins? Shawn Kemp on coke?

Why isnt any team from Phoenix...just called Phoenix. NO NICKNAME NECESSARY!!!

Athletics...a little redundant isnt it?

The Red Sox and Reds (Red Leggs) always bothered me for some reason...

And the fact that my own league the SEC has 2 Bulldogs and Tigers in it. Name another league that uncreative...

Tulsa Hurricanes. Have I said enough?

How about Iowa St. using a Cardinal as a mascot... HOW ABOUT A FVCKING TORNADO!!!!???

Any team that uses a native american nickname...what is noble and heroic about getting your ass kicked by a bunch of honkies??? Ever heard of the wheel, or gun powder??? (sorry in advance)

Hokies...nothing strikes fear in an opponent like a castrated turkey.

Buckeyes...ok, if I am wrong would you cheer for the Wallnuts or Fighting Peacans or the Mighty Mighty Peanuts???

The BEAVERS and the DUCKS in one state...hell the "TrailBlazers" dont even make up for it. Not a decent name in the STATE!!!

What exactly is a Knickerbocker?

Sharks in San Jose....Oh REALLY!!!???

And while I am at it Cardinals in Phoenix, Hornets in New Orleans OR Oklahoma City, Oilers in Memphis, Rams in Cleveland, Los Angeles OR St. Louis, Colts in Indianapolis, and Jaguires, Royals, Kings, Lions, Bengals and Tigers in AMERICA!

What is or WAS an EXPO? A tri-colored M?

Good old Lake...Los Angeles???

Oregon...your off the list. TORONTO lets see, Raptors, Maple Leafs, Blue Jays (see above) and Argonots. COME ON PEOPLE!

A male sport BASEBALL with a female mascot...Phillies.

New Jersey is HELL...but is that the only connection with a devil?

that is all i got for now...

I think it would be shorter if you posted a list of names that you approved of.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Here is my LIST

Bearcats...WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? Does one even exist? How can it be a bear, and then a cat? Please explain.

Cardinals, Blue Jays, Thrashers... Did I miss any angry little bird? At least a PIGEON is fat...

Supersonics...Again WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!!?? A space niedle? Lenny Wilkins? Shawn Kemp on coke?

And the fact that my own league the SEC has 2 Bulldogs and Tigers in it. Name another league that uncreative...

How about Iowa St. using a Cardinal as a mascot... HOW ABOUT A FVCKING TORNADO!!!!???

Any team that uses a native american nickname...what is noble and heroic about getting your ass kicked by a bunch of honkies??? Ever heard of the wheel, or gun powder??? (sorry in advance)

Buckeyes...ok, if I am wrong would you cheer for the Wallnuts or Fighting Peacans or the Mighty Mighty Peanuts???

The BEAVERS and the DUCKS in one state...hell the "TrailBlazers" dont even make up for it. Not a decent name in the STATE!!!

And while I am at it Cardinals in Phoenix, Hornets in New Orleans OR Oklahoma City, Oilers in Memphis, Rams in Cleveland, Los Angeles OR St. Louis, Colts in Indianapolis, and Jaguires, Royals, Kings, Lions, Bengals and Tigers in AMERICA!

Oregon...your off the list. TORONTO lets see, Raptors, Maple Leafs, Blue Jays (see above) and Argonots. COME ON PEOPLE!

Let me see if I can help you out a lil' bit here (even though I believe--or at least sincerely HOPE--that this post has a healthy bit of sarcasm embedded in it):

If I can remember right, there is no actual animal named a "bearcat"...I think that name was a mash-up of a former UC player's surname and a wildcat. In some weird kinda way, I want to say it has something to do with the Kentucky Wildcats, although I can't remember right now and am too lazy to look up.

The Browns...eh--Imma stay up off that one. They were named for Paul Brown, yes--but hell, I think that nickname gained merit once JIM Brown started terrorizing defenses and the team really WAS the "Browns"--Paul and Jim, that is (along with another "Jim"...Otto).

Angry ornithological mascots...eh, okay. I'm no zoologist, but maybe there's a good many bluejays prevalent in the Toronto area (in much the same way the Baltimore oriole is native to, well, the Baltimore area). As far as the Thrashers go, the brown thrasher actually is the name of the Georgia state bird, so that ain't that much of a stretch. (By extension, that's also how the Hawks and Falcons came about, I believe--following that whole "bird of prey" theme.)

I know the Cubs were so named due to the football Bears--but I can't recall the details of it. (Coincidentally, whatever line of reasoning was used for that, at least in reverse, is also how UCLA's Bruins were named--tryna one-up U-Cal's Bears.)

Supersonics...I believe most of us know about that one, be it due to the Space Needle or the presence of one of the leading world manufacturers of aircraft, Boeing, having a major factory there. (Little-known fact about Boeing: though its most-known factory is in Seattle, the company's HQ is actually in Chicago, of all places.)

I'm actually with you on the whole Phoenix thing...I don't really see why a team from Phoenix couldn't just be, well...the Phoenix.

Athletics? Heh...most baseball nicknames were either super-generic or half-crazy. (That's how the "Dodgers" nickname came about...the shortened form of the Brooklyn TROLLEY Dodgers.)

The whole White Sox/Red Sox thing kinda agitates me, too--along with the Reds (or, as they were known back in the olden days, the Red Stockings.)

Yes...from a nickname standpoint, the SEC is about as unimaginative as they come...to have TWO repeat nicknames is just plain unacceptable in my book.

I'm not even discussing the whole Tulsa deal. (Plus, if only for the sake of alliteration, outside the fact that it'd actually make a helluva lot more sense, wouldn't Tulsa Tornadoes work so much better?)

As far as I-State and their beloved "Cy" goes...I believe that bird was created due to the shade of red the school used being called "cardinal". Someone took that idea and ran with it--and thus, the ornithological twister we all know as "Cy" now...

Not touching the Native American name/imagery topic.

As I understand it, a "hokie" is just a slang term for people from that area (VA, ans specifically the area of the state Blacksburg is in)...I'm not sure at what point the turkey became the symbolism for the Hokies, however. (That might be the corniest-sounding nickname in D-1--or whatever it's called these days.)

Buckeyes...mmm--another topic I ain't touching. Something about the whole thing about "nuts"...

What are Knickerbockers? Well...they're PANTS. And this, by the way, is one of two instances I'm aware of where a team's nickname is based off clothing, the other being the aptly named Carnegie-Mellon University Tartans, which is actually a PATTERN more so than a specific article of clothing. Don' ask...I ain't yet figured it out, either.

Sharks. Self-explanatory, although I think that nickname would work a lot better in the Gulf of Mexico or off the Atlantic Coast side of Florida, where sharks LOVE to go on their lil' feeding frenzies amongst the warm waters and knucks that choose to swim in these waters when there's AMPLE warnings of sharks in the area. But--I'll digress...

I may be wrong, but I believe The Montreal Expos were so named due the World Fair, also called Expo 67, being held in Montreal around the time the franchise was set up in Montreal.

Lakers? I KNOW I ain't goin' there.

I ain't never been to NJ, so I don't know how it is, other than being the U.S.'s most densely populated state, but most Jerseyans that I know talk about the place like it IS hell, as was pointed out. But isn't there some type of urban legend or folk tale floating around NJ about something called the Jersey devil that led the Devils to be so named?

Hope that helped clear up your cobwebs a lil' bit. :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Supersonics...I believe most of us know about that one, be it due to the Space Needle or the presence of one of the leading world manufacturers of aircraft, Boeing, having a major factory there. (Little-known fact about Boeing: though its most-known factory is in Seattle, the company's HQ is actually in Chicago, of all places.)

When the team was founded in the 1960's Boeing was working on a supersonic passenger jet in Seattle but they shelved their plans a few years later because it wasn't financially viable and Britain and France were building Concorde. Boeing built the 747 instead and revolutionized jet travel. Concorde never became more than a plaything for rich people.

I ain't never been to NJ, so I don't know how it is, other than being the U.S.'s most densely populated state, but most Jerseyans that I know talk about the place like it IS hell, as was pointed out. But isn't there some type of urban legend or folk tale floating around NJ about something called the Jersey devil that led the Devils to be so named?

The Jersey Devil is very well known legend. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_Devil

A bearcat is an actual animal, but it probably isn't tough enough to warrant a team being named after it. Think what a harmless bear cub could do to this animal.

BearCat.jpg

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The San Jose Sharks are named after the red triangle that's outside the San Francisco Bay Area by the Farallon Islands. It's a one the best feeding grounds for Great White Sharks on the planet next to South Africa & Australia. Hence the triangle in their logo. San Jose is in the Bay Area which is in California which is next to the Pacific Ocean where there happens to be SHARKS!

Wow. The lack of trivial knowledge here scares me...

BROWNS

Originally to be called the Cleveland Panthers, but when a similarly named local semi-pro team threatened to sue, Browns was temporarily substituted - but it stuck.

CUBS

Has nothing to do with the Bears - actually, the Bears were named for the Cubs.

ATHLETICS

The original team was, I believe, known as the Philadelphia Athletic Club.

RED SOX and REDS

Name originates in each case from the red stockings worn by their players.

TULSA HURRICANES

Okay, you got me there. Sounds ridiculous to me but if someone has a reason why that makes sense, I can buy it.

NATIVE AMERICAN NICKNAMES

I don't know about noble or heroic, but the NCAA's regulations on such names are total unadulterated bull$hit.

COLTS in INDIANAPOLIS

That region of the country is actually much more known for horse breeding and racing than Baltimore. While I'd like to have seen Baltimore keep the name, it's not entirely unappropriate.

nav-logo.png

From Tulsa's website for the nickname.

The origination of The University of Tulsa nickname -- Golden Hurricane -- in 1922, the team started working out in the fall with a new nickname "Yellow Jackets." In the past, Tulsa had been named "Kendallites," "Presbyterians," Tigers," "Orange and Black," "Tulsans," and, of course, "Yellow Jackets." Head coach Howard Acher after a remark in practice about "roaring through opponents," had seriously considered "Golden Tornadoes." But a check showed that Georgia Tech already had chosen that tag in 1917. From the tornado, he evolved meteorologically to the hurricane. A few days before the team left for a game against Texas A&M, Acher asked the squad to vote on the name "Golden Hurricane," the gold being added because of the color of their new jerseys.

Here is my LIST

Just a few clarifications from me:

- As for doubled-up nicknames in the SEC, the teams/universities came long before the SEC affiliations, so the conference cannot force institutions to change because "some other school has the nickname".

- Go the following link to learn what a Hokie is, straight from VA tech

http://www.vt.edu/about/hokie.php

- I doubt a horse it the meaning over the Phillies, you do realize it's a shortened form of Philadelphia, right?

- As for doubled-up nicknames in the SEC, the teams/universities came long before the SEC affiliations, so the conference cannot force institutions to change because "some other school has the nickname".

An interesting digression - there are two conferences in D-IA with doubled up nicknames, and in each conference, there are two sets of doubles.

SEC - Auburn and Louisiana State Tigers; Georgia and Mississippi State Bulldogs

WAC - Fresno State and Louisiana Tech Bulldogs; New Mexico State and Utah State Aggies

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Here is my LIST

From the University of Cincinnati website...

http://www.uc.edu/info-services/bearcat.htm

A very interesting story, to say the least.

Bucco's right. It's a combo of Kentucky, a cheerleader and a player named Leonard K. Baehr.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Well, one of the teams mentioned, the Centrailia Orphans, has a bit of "history" in accordance with my birth. My family was living in Ashley, Illinois when my mom was pregnant with me. She and my brother, who wasn't 2 yet, went to stay with here parents in Cape Girardeau, Mo for the last few weeks of the pregnancy. My dad and sister stayed back, and on the night my mom went into labor, my dad missed the call because he and my sister had gone to watch Centralia take on Collinsville, a match-up, at the time, of the two winningest high school basketball teams in history (of the country, not just Illionis).

Though, when they arrived home, they called my grandparents, I guess, and found out and made it to Cape in time. I wasn't born until 1:30am the next morning. But I still like to give my dad crap about going to a high school basketball game while my mom was in labor with me.

Archived