The world's most ridiculous team names

AndrewPF

The Red Sox and Reds (Red Leggs) always bothered me for some reason...

Then so should the White Sox, Tigers, and Cardinals, for all were named for the color of their socks.

The thing is, I find that I actually prefer the oddball and non-threatening names. The problem with overly aggressive names and mascots is that they only work if the team wins pretty much all the time and in a dominant fashion. Anything less and a team named the Maulers or whatever is a pathetic joke. A team named the Raiders that wins all the time and blows its opponents away is kind of cool. A team named the Raiders that loses a lot, or that barely ekes out its wins, is kind of sad.

I just like the idea of teams named Hokies or Hilltoppers or baseball teams named after harmless songbirds. Give me a Forty-Niners or a Nuts or a Twins over a Marauders any day of the week. I guess in part it's because sports are games, and so any team name that takes itself too seriously is self-defeating.

20082614447.png

When I was in junior high, our mascot was the Ponies (a derivative of the local high school mascot, the Mustangs). One of the schools we regularly played (Echo, OR) was officially called the Kittens (another derivative of their local high school, the Cougars).

Nobody I knew could say with a straight face, "Let's go watch the Ponies crush the Kittens."

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

NATIVE AMERICAN NICKNAMES

I don't know about noble or heroic, but the NCAA's regulations on such names are total unadulterated bull$hit.

I beg to differ. I have no problems with Tribe sanctioned nicknames (ie-Utah Utes, Florida State Seminoles, etc.) I do have problems with the non-sanctioned nicknames like North Dakota State Fighting Sioux or nicknames like Redmen, Redskins, Indians, or Savages where the nickname degrades Native Americans.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

I don't know about noble or heroic, but the NCAA's regulations on such names are total unadulterated bull$hit.

I beg to differ. I have no problems with Tribe sanctioned nicknames (ie-Utah Utes, Florida State Seminoles, etc.) I do have problems with the non-sanctioned nicknames like North Dakota State Fighting Sioux or nicknames like Redmen, Redskins, Indians, or Savages where the nickname degrades Native Americans.

So what do you do if you're Illinois? They're in a no win situation under your idea....unless somebody invents a time machine.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Thank you bucco B for understanding the tone of my post. And Mingjai- good call on the MAC! And HOW did I forget the Orioles!! And good call on ANY knickname over the Merauders.

For the record, I know the history/facts/reasoning behind every major team nickname in the US. It is what I do for fun. Those are just the ones I dont paticularly like or just like to make fun of.

But for the record...

The entire CITY of San Jose is landlocked. So sharks are not and cannot be indigenous to the CITY of San Jose.

I went to high school in Cleveland and am sad to say...a Browns fan. I know the deal there, ITS AN ELF! :rolleyes:

Maryland is a TOP horse racing state. They beat Indiana buy a few lengths...http://www.horsecouncil.org/statistics.htm and I believe they still have a little race there every spring if I am not mistaken. (bow)

LOVE this tread keepem commin...

The entire CITY of San Jose is landlocked. So sharks are not and cannot be indigenous to the CITY of San Jose.

Yes...but they are in San Francisco Bay, right? And the Sharks are the team of the entire San Francisco Bay region, right?

Sharks is acceptable.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

When you're dealing with an existing group such as the Seminoles or Sioux, it only seems right to get their permission.

Well, we've had this debate before, but it's still a matter of free speech. If you want to get "permission" to name your team after a tribe, fine, but you shouldn't have to. Nor should you be forced to change the name for PC reasons.

FsQiF2W.png

So what do you do if you're Illinois? They're in a no win situation under your idea....unless somebody invents a time machine.

Illinois has kinda sidestepped the issue, arguing successfully that the name "Illini" has come to mean a native (note: not Native) of Illinois.

Archived