The Skating Penguin

risio

Well apparently, the Penguins were about to switch to the WBS Penguins logo back in the early 90's instead of the Robo Pidgeon. Does anyone have any info on that? I find it interesting that the Pens would have seemingly added red to the pallet. Any reason as to why they chose the pidgeon over the steriod induced skating penguin??

WBS_2166.gif

The PenStation (Apparel store whithin the Mellon Arena) uses it in their logo.

photo_teamstore.gif

Also, local station KDKA used it in their Pens coverage in the early 90's

Watch at the end of the video.

Why were so many people down on the Robo Pigeon? I actually liked that logo, since I thought the skating penguin was a little too cartoonish. I like it better now with BOTH logos, but wish they'd dump the gold and go back to yellow.

Boy, I would have HATED that Barry Bonds Penguin logo! :wacko:

This is from the "what I've heard" Dept. I don't have the inside with the Pens I used to so I apologize...

The Pigeon was from that nice ownership of Marino/Baldwin. That was their pride and joy. They wanted it to be there for the second cup but didn't get it in time or whatever. They toyed with the notion of the WB Pen, but it eventually got shot down due to fans wanted the skating pen back and taking ideas from the minors. I never heard about the red being added (although we now have to watch the Pirates in red so who knows). They like to "try" unis down in WB/S...hence the Vegas gold jersey, the dark blue, etc. As for Vegas gold, I agree, it needs to go, but from what I heard that's Mario and his owners choice so don't think it'll disappear anytime soon. I just wish they'd dump it and go back to yellow before they win a cup again because if they do, they will never dump it. The yellow pops so much more...

Take that paragraph for what it's worth. It's not 100% fact and there's a ton of logoheads that'll give the story to you 100% soon.

EDIT: I'm watching the 91 Conference Finals on the NHL Network and fans in Pitts have free giveaway signs with the steroid Penguin on it so I guess they were testing the waters as early as that year.

And as far as the Triangle Penguin (in LV gold)...it was "edge"d out this season.

the modern penguin (unfairly called "robo pigeon" or "hummingbird") was a great logo that was unfairly chastised in favor of an inferior cartoon character logo.

the penguins should really find a way to reintroduce some image of an emperor penguin for a future logo. So much potential wasted.

The pigeon logo was bad as a primary, however i liked it as a secondary. Its good enough to keep, but not feature, imo...i.e. secondary logo.

And the skating penguin should never be replaced again, especially not with the roids rage penguin.

The PenStation (Apparel store whithin the Mellon Arena) uses it in their logo.

photo_teamstore.gif

ah, yes, pen station... tis an awesome little place when its not packed to the rafters before/after game time

The robo-penguin wasn't a bad logo in and of itself, it just wasn't right for the team. I can see it on the top of a letterhead for "Penguin Air Conditioning And Freezing Solutions®" or something like that, but it's too corporate and sterile to have displaced the skating penguin that had long been associated with the team and its two championships. However, I do feel that the addition of grey to the sweaters that came with the new logo was a nice touch for the Steel City, adding a color that could be construed as local without deviating or distracting from Pittsburgh's black and gold, as the Vegas gold does now, as well as the Pirates' red.

It's one of my fav. logos of all time and that's why I have the 1994 Penguins home jersey! I think they should've stuck with it!

Here is some interesting info.

Hanging up the Skates

Gary Adams, an artist with Vance, Wright & Adams Design Group, came up with the "corporate-style" logo that is still used on the shoulder patches of the current uniform.

Adam's said new Penguins' owner Howard Baldwin wanted something more "marketable" and even considered changing the name back to the Hornets."

"Baldwin said: 'They're gonna kill me for changing the logo, why not the name?' " recalled Adams. "We even looked at replacing gold with the Vegas Gold color scheme."

The design was met with skepticism and superstition. Loyal fans thought the logo change was a Baldwin gimimick simply to generate money in jersey sales. Others, including Gessner, thought the logo change would ruin the Pens' mojo.

"They just won the Stanley Cup two years in a row and they wanted to change the logo?" recalled Gessner. "I was stunned and saddened. They were really on a roll and they decided to change horses."

In the first year of the "corporate-style" logo, the Penguins enjoyed their finest regular season, but were upset by the New York Islanders in the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs ? ending a bid for a third consecutive championship.

So apparently the vegas gold almost came in the early 90's. It would have been awful if the Hornets came back. Ugh. Neat stuff though. It from PittsburghHockey.net

Here is some interesting info.

Hanging up the Skates

Gary Adams, an artist with Vance, Wright & Adams Design Group, came up with the "corporate-style" logo that is still used on the shoulder patches of the current uniform.

Adam's said new Penguins' owner Howard Baldwin wanted something more "marketable" and even considered changing the name back to the Hornets."

"Baldwin said: 'They're gonna kill me for changing the logo, why not the name?' " recalled Adams. "We even looked at replacing gold with the Vegas Gold color scheme."

The design was met with skepticism and superstition. Loyal fans thought the logo change was a Baldwin gimimick simply to generate money in jersey sales. Others, including Gessner, thought the logo change would ruin the Pens' mojo.

"They just won the Stanley Cup two years in a row and they wanted to change the logo?" recalled Gessner. "I was stunned and saddened. They were really on a roll and they decided to change horses."

In the first year of the "corporate-style" logo, the Penguins enjoyed their finest regular season, but were upset by the New York Islanders in the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs ? ending a bid for a third consecutive championship.

So apparently the vegas gold almost came in the early 90's. It would have been awful if the Hornets came back. Ugh. Neat stuff though. It from PittsburghHockey.net

For all of the Gary Bettman hate out there remember it was on John Ziegler's watch when Howard Baldwin was allowed to but the Pens.

Archived