Devils vs Leafs 11/2/07

NJTank

Wow what horrible attendance.

You ain't kiddin', Brendan. I was at the game on Halloween vs. Tampa Bay and the attendance sucked there too. I checked nhl.com after I came home from the game and it said somewhere in the 13,000's. That number was generous as hell. I do not know exactly how much people the Prudential Center holds, but when I was there, I'd say it was halfway full, maybe a little more. It seemed like more people would come when the games were at the Continental Airli....... errrrr now Izod Center. F-ing ridiculous. The team isn't marketed well and to this once die-hard Devils, and NHL fan, the league is pretty much dead to me, further exascerbated when Clarkson or whatever the hell that clown's name is got into a fight in the first period to which I replied "Who the hell is that?" Clarkson got into another fight in the game, there were three fights total, and Clarkson was in the box three different times. I don't follow the team as much as I used to and it is no surprise to me that the arena was half full when I was there. They can build a beautiful arena, but cannot get people to come to the game. What a joke. Oh yeah, and the arena is much more accessible than the previous one, you can get right off the train and get there. Joke. An f-ing joke. Oh, by the way, I found this out when I was at the game the other day. Tickets for Hannah Montana sold out in four minutes, but a Devils game cannot. Sad.

You ain't kiddin', Brendan. I was at the game on Halloween vs. Tampa Bay and the attendance sucked there too. I checked nhl.com after I came home from the game and it said somewhere in the 13,000's. That number was generous as hell. I do not know exactly how much people the Prudential Center holds, but when I was there, I'd say it was halfway full, maybe a little more. It seemed like more people would come when the games were at the Continental Airli....... errrrr now Izod Center. F-ing ridiculous. The team isn't marketed well and to this once die-hard Devils, and NHL fan, the league is pretty much dead to me, further exascerbated when Clarkson or whatever the hell that clown's name is got into a fight in the first period to which I replied "Who the hell is that?" Clarkson got into another fight in the game, there were three fights total, and Clarkson was in the box three different times. I don't follow the team as much as I used to and it is no surprise to me that the arena was half full when I was there. They can build a beautiful arena, but cannot get people to come to the game. What a joke. Oh yeah, and the arena is much more accessible than the previous one, you can get right off the train and get there. Joke. An f-ing joke. Oh, by the way, I found this out when I was at the game the other day. Tickets for Hannah Montana sold out in four minutes, but a Devils game cannot. Sad.

well in fairness the popularity of Hannah Montana is 2000X times the popularity of the new jersey devils. so that isn't much of a surprise. more people know who HM and the actress who plays her than martin brodeur or the devils are. in fact I saw more HM merch than i did hockey merch. i was at W* and I was hardpressed to find anything hockey related. had plenty of yankee/giants stuff but nothing hockey related. did find plenty of high school musical and hannah montana merch though in the electronics, toys, stationary departments.

The whole league is poorly marketed, which is why Bettman is the worst Comish in Sports History.

funny thing happened on the way to the office, i have this brodeur devils jersey. well anyway i wore to it work just to see if what the reaction would be. anyway in the break room, i had 4 people count them, 4 people come up to me and ask me what team I was wearing and who 'brodeur' was.

in other words, high school musical is far better marketed than the NHL. thank you gary bettman for ruining the NHL. :evil:

btw in some of those pics of the devils/leafs, my first reaction was why are the leafs wearing blank white jerseys. i had to squint to see the two little arm stripes.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

The whole league is poorly marketed, which is why Bettman is the worst Comish in Sports History.

When the Braves don't sellout a playoff game, they're called crappy fans.

When the Devils don't sellout games being played at a new arena, they blame it on the league's commissioner.

At least the Braves could sellout Turner Field when it first opened. The Devils have no excuses as to why they can't sellout their games.

When the Devils don't sellout games being played at a new arena, they blame it on the league's commissioner.

At least the Braves could sellout Turner Field when it first opened. The Devils have no excuses as to why they can't sellout their games.

Ummm this is an early regular season game, I criticize the Braves for not selling out playoff games (HUGE DIFFERENCE).

Any way the crowds are better now then they were at the Meadowlands

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

well in fairness the popularity of Hannah Montana is 2000X times the popularity of the new jersey devils. so that isn't much of a surprise. more people know who HM and the actress who plays her than martin brodeur or the devils are. in fact I saw more HM merch than i did hockey merch. i was at W* and I was hardpressed to find anything hockey related. had plenty of yankee/giants stuff but nothing hockey related. did find plenty of high school musical and hannah montana merch though in the electronics, toys, stationary departments.

in other words, high school musical is far better marketed than the NHL. thank you gary bettman for ruining the NHL. :evil:

Tell me about it. Man, this joint we call America sure is messed up. My little brothers like a 14 year old pop slut and a dude who ruined Baltimore's light in Hollywood, and his stripper girlfriend more than a sport that has all the violence and excitement they'd want. :mad:

Ummm this is an early regular season game, I criticize the Braves for not selling out playoff games (HUGE DIFFERENCE).

Any way the crowds are better now then they were at the Meadowlands

Pay attention to the bold type.

The Devils don't need better marketing than their play on the ice. Perennial Cup contender, making the playoffs every season, it's what every person wants from a sports team in the NYC area. So explain why the Devils fans shouldn't get the same crap that folks like to give the Braves in postseason play.

lol you saying Hanahan Montana is heading down the Britney Spears Lane and when she is 21 she will be passed out in a car like Lindsey Lohan?

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

lol you saying Hanahan Montana is heading down the Britney Spears Lane and when she is 21 she will be passed out in a car like Lindsey Lohan?

I dunno, but I hope she does, so when the lastest scandal comes out, I can look at the paper or TV, and say, "That's for stealing my siblings from me"(In the "Role Model" department, not literally).

The Devils have no excuses as to why they can't sellout their games.

Agreed... I could see the problem with the Meadowlands when I tried to get to a game there and just couldn't -- but there's no reason why people can't get to this new arena.

You can't blame marketing from the comissioner on this one, if people in Northern New Jersey don't care or know about the team after 25 seasons and three cups in the last decade (and a bit) then they never will.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Agreed... I could see the problem with the Meadowlands when I tried to get to a game there and just couldn't -- but there's no reason why people can't get to this new arena.

You can't blame marketing from the comissioner on this one, if people in Northern New Jersey don't care or know about the team after 25 seasons and three cups in the last decade (and a bit) then they never will.

... time to move them to Hamilton.... oh sorry, wrong thread ....

while you can blame the commissioner a bit on selling the game nationally (tv deals, league sponsors etc) , it's the individual team's responsibility to market their team in their respective markets.

I saw, I came, I left.

I dunno, but I hope she does, so when the lastest scandal comes out, I can look at the paper or TV, and say, "That's for stealing my siblings from me"(In the "Role Model" department, not literally).

funny you should mention that, because when i was in the break room i was reading one of those gossip mags US or OK don't remember but it had an snipit of her claiming to be pregnant. they denied the rumor but it funny none the less.

i will give her one credit though, her marketeers does a better job marketing a 14 y/o pop slut than all 30 nhl teams put together. like W*, if it makes sense, the nhl doesn't do it.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

... time to move them to Hamilton.... oh sorry, wrong thread ....

while you can blame the commissioner a bit on selling the game nationally (tv deals, league sponsors etc) , it's the individual team's responsibility to market their team in their respective markets.

our just put the NHL out if its misery and just create one ubber-canadian league and end this failed venture of hockey in the states.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

They know and LOVE the Devils. The Devils have a huge fanbase...

...but No ONE wants to go to Newark. No one is going to bring their family into Newark. No matter how safe they make it, Newark will always have the stigma of being "Newark". That is the biggest problem facing the team. If they put it in Jersey City or Hoboken, it would probrally be doing better than it is now. I just don't think they ever had a chance of succeeding in Newark.

THey need to clean that city up fast, and market the City first, and get people to come back into Newark, and then once you get people coming back into Newark, you'll get fans to go into the arena.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived