Two-sport players

mjrbaseball

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate the suggestions.

Just to note -- for this project I am working on, I am not including amateur (e.g., Olympics) or minor league appearances. That would amount to hundreds of athletes, and I had to -- arbitrarily, I admit -- draw a line somewhere. Only major league or equivalent actually played ... That would include AFL, Premiership football in England, NASCAR, PGA Tour, etc.

Thanks to all, folks.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

College, as in an amateur sport.

He's only played football pro.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

I'm not so sure Dave Winfield played any pro basketball, even though he was a University of Minnesota star basketball player.

I do know this: He was drafted in both baseball and basketball, and was drafted in football, too, despite not playing any college football.

Darin Erstad didn't play pro football, but he did play on two national championship teams in two different sports -- as a World Series champ with the Angels and as a punter with the Nebraska football team. He was also a star hockey player at Jamestown (N.D.) High School. He never played high school basketball, but the basketball coach at Jamestown said he probably would have been the star player had he gone out for that sport.

• 5 years later...

Israel Folau - National Rugby League, Australian Football League and Super 12 Rugby - that's 3 football codes. He only needs to play in the A-League to complete the set!

Ellyse Perry plays for the Australian football team and the Australian cricket team. She is the only current player who is simultaneously playing two sports.

Raich Carter is chiefly remembered as an Association Football player, captaining Sunderland to a League title, winning a couple of FA Cups and representing England on a nmber of occasions. He also played first class cricket a handful of times just after the Second World War, representing Derbyshire.

On the other side of the coin, Ian Botham is best known as a cricketer for England and a number of county sides but he also played football for Yeovil and professionally for Scunthorpe – Scunny were a Fourth Division side at the time though and Yeovil non-League so that might not quite meet the criteria.

Kirk McCaskill did suit up for a couple of Winnipeg preseason games, but after experiencing Winnipeg in late October said ":censored: it" and focused on baseball.

true story.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I watched three quarters of the ESPN 30 for 30 Bo Jackson story. This is the narrative: Bo Jackson was really good at sports. Also Nike and Tecmo Bowl.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Raich Carter is chiefly remembered as an Association Football player, captaining Sunderland to a League title, winning a couple of FA Cups and representing England on a nmber of occasions. He also played first class cricket a handful of times just after the Second World War, representing Derbyshire.

On the other side of the coin, Ian Botham is best known as a cricketer for England and a number of county sides but he also played football for Yeovil and professionally for Scunthorpe – Scunny were a Fourth Division side at the time though and Yeovil non-League so that might not quite meet the criteria.

A better cricketing example would be Dennis Compton, who played cricket for Middlesex and England and soccer for Arsenal. Ian Botham's son, Liam, played cricket for Hampshire and Rugby Union for Newcastle and Leeds, and some rugby league for Leeds and Wigan.

There are quite a few who've played pro soccer and cricket over the years. Jeff Wilson played cricket and Rugby Union for New Zealand.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Herschel Walker has competed in MMA, has had two fights for UFC owned Strikeforce.

While thinking of MMA fighters

Matt Mitrione - Played DT for the Giants and Vikings ..... competes for UFC.

Bob Sapp - OL for Bears, Vikings, Raiders and Ravens ... has competed in all the Japanese mma orgs, Pride ... Dream .. etc.

fP8H4Wf.jpg

Whatever, if this thread is back, I'll contribute.

Jesse Lumsden- Canadian Football and Olympic Bobsled

Jeff Demps- Football and Olympic Track

Lionel Conacher... everything. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionel_Conacher

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

I watched three quarters of the ESPN 30 for 30 Bo Jackson story. This is the narrative: Bo Jackson was really good at sports. Also Nike and Tecmo Bowl.

....which made it all the more strange that Jackson's sports career got cut short on a relatively harmless-looking tackle.

Archived