Oregon Ducks football unis

Delux247

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Green/white/white on 10/4. It's the 4th time for that combo. Still at 16 of the 48 possible combinations worn.

Here's a quick breakdown:

Helmets - yellow (4), green (15), white (3)

Jersey tops - yellow (4), green (4), white (9), black (5)

Pants - yellow (2), green (9), white (3), black (8)

ujsignature.png

Is anyone as confused as me as far as what Oregon's uniforms are? Are they uniform at all? Are they doing this to confuse the opponent? "Oh no! That's not Oregon, that's some other team. Oregon on film was wearing green helmets, green jerseys, and black pants."

I'm generally a traditionalist when it comes to uniform design, but for some reason, I like that Oregon uses a concept that is so "out there". I like the different helmet/uniform combos, modern "O" logo, and the "OREGON" down the legs. I just wish they would lose the diamond plate and helmet flames.

A lot of other teams try to modernize by adding piping or swishes to their jerseys, or attaching a wordmark to the logo on the helmet. Oregon tried (and in my opinion succeeded) in creating an original, unique look. I just think they took it a bit too far with a few of the elements.

I know it's been discussed before ad nauseum, I just thought I would throw it out there.

/hijack

Untitled-1-1.gif

Sig by TalktoChuck

Is anyone as confused as me as far as what Oregon's uniforms are? Are they uniform at all? Are they doing this to confuse the opponent? "Oh no! That's not Oregon, that's some other team. Oregon on film was wearing green helmets, green jerseys, and black pants."

They're uniform in that everyone on the field is wearing the same thing. I don't think "wearing the same thing week to week" when I think uniform, but rather "everyone on the same team is wearing the same thing."

And the theory behind Oregon's football aesthetic was "well, we're not Penn State or Notre Dame or Michigan and we don't have an incredibly traditional uniform style, so our 'tradition' might as well be as wild as possible." Not saying I agree with it (as an alum, fan, etc.), just that they've said that in interviews before.

I hate the yellow helmets and the black uniforms and in our uniforms. HATE. The yellow helmets because they look like ass (if you're going to do yellow, do it right), the black because that's the main color from one of our rivals. Seriously, our in-state rival, Oregon State, is orange and black. I don't like it for us in basketball OR football.

Honestly, the uniforms have grown on me enough. I just hate the yellow helmets, the black, and the diamond plating on the shoulders and pants. Get rid of that, and we just have garish colors, which I can live with - I don't mind the Lightning Yellow and Thunder Green, and it looked good in the previous uniforms we had. But...man. I dunno.

Rumor has it we're doing something new for next week's homecoming game against UCLA. I've heard unitards, or black head to toe...I don't know if I like either.

harperdc.gif

I just wanna clear something up with people who hate our uni's. Diamond plate is Oregon, its been used in stuff before the new uniforms came out. Its only fitting that they got it put onto the uniforms. I don't get what is so bad about it anyway, I think it looks pretty badass and makes us look tougher than we really are. But I guess that's just me.

I just wanna clear something up with people who hate our uni's. Diamond plate is Oregon, its been used in stuff before the new uniforms came out. Its only fitting that they got it put onto the uniforms. I don't get what is so bad about it anyway, I think it looks pretty badass and makes us look tougher than we really are. But I guess that's just me.

And right there in that last statement you find out why the rest of the nation thinks... er knows Oregon is a joke. These are wimpy players who need diamond plating on their uniforms to look tougher?! Wow! No wonder they can never get the job done. They are more worried or maybe their fans about looking tougher on the field. Tough is beating your opponent 59-0. Now that is what I think tough is, not some stupid diamond plating. But I guess Oregon and it's fans have self esteem problems, so whatever they can do to feel better about themselves, we should encourage them because it's a scary world out there. :P Anyone have a pacifier for the Northwest Babies (Oregon)?

^^^^ Perhaps you're a Husky or Wazzu fan, hrm? I'm hardly building us up to be a huge, important program (especially not at 4-2 right now) but jeez, when did an Oregon alum run your mom over? That's some classic sour grapes right there.

Are you :censored:ing high? Show me where it's been used in athletics (and not just on some stupid ass bumper sticker from the bookstore) before 2005 when we rolled the diamond plating out for the Civil War. It has zero ties to the University and looks absolutely retarded on football uniforms. I can stand everything else (and even, MAYBE, the yellow helmets) and wouldn't mind our current uniforms if it didn't have the plating look on it.

Also, sadly, this is what the vast majority of the UO fanbase looks and sounds like right now. These types of guys and then the older alums...sigh. I feel like the only rational one out there. This is also why I avoid Rivals and Scout boards, too...

harperdc.gif

^^^^ Perhaps you're a Husky or Wazzu fan, hrm? I'm hardly building us up to be a huge, important program (especially not at 4-2 right now) but jeez, when did an Oregon alum run your mom over? That's some classic sour grapes right there.

Are you :censored:ing high? Show me where it's been used in athletics (and not just on some stupid ass bumper sticker from the bookstore) before 2005 when we rolled the diamond plating out for the Civil War. It has zero ties to the University and looks absolutely retarded on football uniforms. I can stand everything else (and even, MAYBE, the yellow helmets) and wouldn't mind our current uniforms if it didn't have the plating look on it.

Also, sadly, this is what the vast majority of the UO fanbase looks and sounds like right now. These types of guys and then the older alums...sigh. I feel like the only rational one out there. This is also why I avoid Rivals and Scout boards, too...

Amen. where was diamond plating before the uniforms? On a trucks bumper during on campus construction? I call bull:censored:. I call it on BigDmo, and I call it on Oregon for trotting this mess out there week after week. If they broke out throwbacks, the fans would flip. As a Eugenean as an SC fan, im not crazy about Duck fans, but they are exceptional football fans. They love their team despite their uniforms. Its always a groan, or roll of the eyes when the uni discussion comes up, but rarely are they defended.

Someone said they kept a current uni set through the 01 season then in 04 this one?

That isn't the case. The new sets they have came out in 2006, and the previous set before that was the beginning of sorts of the crazy color combos just without the diamond plate shoulders.

http://photos.signonsandiego.com/gallery1....250116x0075.jpg

That is a pictures of the jerseys before the diamond plates but after the 01-04 change. They had those for 2 years.

I liked them better without the diamond plate, but still am a big fan of the Ducks jerseys and all the combos. The colors are great.

2ly2w09.jpg

They're uniform in that everyone on the field is wearing the same thing. I don't think "wearing the same thing week to week" when I think uniform, but rather "everyone on the same team is wearing the same thing."

I think it's more than simply that - it's also about creating a consistent visual identity, something that anybody can recognize at any time.

Oregon's mess is just that - too many combinations with not enough visual links to each other. The same basic four colors, but not used consistently.

Archived