2007-2008 MLB Offseason Thread

Audiodrama

Cool for Glavine and the Braves! It pains me to give kudos to that team, seeing as they left my city eons ago. But, I like the fact that great players still give a damn about where they got there start in today's day of high dollar contracts! Plus I've always liked Tommy. Good move on all parts!

P.S. As long as the Cubs don't land these guys I'll be happy. Unless of course the Brewers sign on or two of them....

Cordero 1st and then Hunter 2nd, if they really don't re-sign Jenkins.

packchampionslfroh.png

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just announced:

To White Sox:

Orlando Cabrera

Cash

To Angels:

Jon Garland

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3118872

What a stupid, stupid trade by the Angels. For their sake, I hope it's a precursor to another move.

In other news, the Red Sox are on the verge of re-signing Mike Lowell to a 3-year deal worth approx $38 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3118926

Tom Glavine agrees to a contract with Atlanta. 1 year $8 million.

Just as it was rumored. More than likely, he's going to retire and go off into the sunset as a Brave. The only thing that irks me is the fact that all those kooks who booed Glavine when he came to Turner Field are now gonna be cheering him like it never happened. Flakes. :P

Just announced:

To White Sox:

Orlando Cabrera

Cash

To Angels:

Jon Garland

What a stupid, stupid trade by the Angels. For their sake, I hope it's a precursor to another move.

In other news, the Red Sox are on the verge of re-signing Mike Lowell to a 3-year deal worth approx $38 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3118926

The article now says that it is official. Lowell has signed.

Just announced:

To White Sox:

Orlando Cabrera

Cash

To Angels:

Jon Garland

I don't know about you, LMU, but as one of the Halos fans on this board, I'm not sure I like this deal. Brandon Wood's not an MLB shortstop just yet, and Erick Aybar just hasn't impressed me yet. Izzy could potentially be a decent shortstop, but by no means does he give us the offensive production of Orlando Cabrera. If I were a religious person, I think I'd be praying or Miguel Cabrera right now.

Just announced:

To White Sox:

Orlando Cabrera

Cash

To Angels:

Jon Garland

I don't know about you, LMU, but as one of the Halos fans on this board, I'm not sure I like this deal. Brandon Wood's not an MLB shortstop just yet, and Erick Aybar just hasn't impressed me yet. Izzy could potentially be a decent shortstop, but by no means does he give us the offensive production of Orlando Cabrera. If I were a religious person, I think I'd be praying or Miguel Cabrera right now.

I think that the Miggy Cabrera deal has to be pretty dang close for this to happen. Here's what I see happening...

-Brandon Wood playing shortstop

-Adenhart, Kendrick, and another player to Florida for Cabrera (Budde? Willits? Morales?)

-Cabrera playing 3rd base, Figgins moving to 2nd.

So, if the Cabrera trade goes down, you add one, and potentially two big bats to the lineup, and maybe three if Kotchman stays healthy.

Also, Garland adds a proven power pitcher to replace Colon, which will in turn take some heat off the bullpen.

And, if Miggy isn't out there, Crede is...

VmWIn6B.png

Just announced:

To White Sox:

Orlando Cabrera

Cash

To Angels:

Jon Garland

I think that the Miggy Cabrera deal has to be pretty dang close for this to happen. Here's what I see happening...

-Brandon Wood playing shortstop

-Adenhart, Kendrick, and another player to Florida for Cabrera (Budde? Willits? Morales?)

-Cabrera playing 3rd base, Figgins moving to 2nd.

So, if the Cabrera trade goes down, you add one, and potentially two big bats to the lineup, and maybe three if Kotchman stays healthy.

Also, Garland adds a proven power pitcher to replace Colon, which will in turn take some heat off the bullpen.

And, if Miggy isn't out there, Crede is...

I think the other guy rumored for Cabrera is OF Nathan Haynes, if I'm not mistaken. I'd love to keep Howie, but it seems as though Flo'da wants him specifically in return for Miguel. Heck, let's get Tejada to play short while we're at it.

Tom Glavine agrees to a contract with Atlanta. 1 year $8 million.

Just as it was rumored. More than likely, he's going to retire and go off into the sunset as a Brave. The only thing that irks me is the fact that all those kooks who booed Glavine when he came to Turner Field are now gonna be cheering him like it never happened. Flakes. :P

.... I think the fact that he went to the Mets had something to do with that...

....Good riddance to Glavine, he was worthless, especially in the last game of the season :cursing: ...

* wakes up....*

sorry, for a minute there, I was sounding like Tank....

so .... now Glavine can haunt the Mets again.... and lead the Braves to the NL East title again :D

I saw, I came, I left.

Rollins wins NL MVP.

And rightly deserved, even from this homer. Holiday had shiner numbers, but Rollins had 20 triples, and he had a better defensive season than Holiday.

Really? Since that's the exact reason that Tulo didn't win ROY? Tulo was the better fielder but lost out because Bruan had better offensive numbers... It's clearly the east coast bias, and even a Philly fan agrees with me on this, and he's a member of this board.

Rollins wins NL MVP.

And rightly deserved, even from this homer. Holiday had shiner numbers, but Rollins had 20 triples, and he had a better defensive season than Holiday.

Really? Since that's the exact reason that Tulo didn't win ROY? Tulo was the better fielder but lost out because Bruan had better offensive numbers... It's clearly the east coast bias, and even a Philly fan agrees with me on this, and he's a member of this board.

Unless I'm mistaken, the ROY award has always favored offense. Defensive stats are nice and all, but when a rookie hits over 30 HR's in his first season, that's rarely going to be passed up. The award isn't "Most Valuable Rookie".....

Rollins wins NL MVP.

Unless I'm mistaken, the ROY award has always favored offense. Defensive stats are nice and all, but when a rookie hits over 30 HR's in his first season, that's rarely going to be passed up. The award isn't "Most Valuable Rookie".....

It's not just that, it's the Rockies as a whole...

They made it to the World Series and yet no awards were given to Rockies players... Tulo should've won ROY & a Gold Glove, didn't get either... Todd Helton with his .999 fielding percentage didn't get a Gold Glove and Matt Holliday should have been NL MVP.

Now, it's not right to expect everything there to happen, but you'd think that at least ONE would have, but no, not the Rockies, not for a team that doesn't play out east.

Archived