http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/met...0,1176471.story

NATIONALS GET:

OF Lastings Milledge

METS GET:

OF Ryan Church

C Brian Schneider

METS FANS GET:

Very, very angry.

What on Earth is Omar Minaya thinking/smoking!? Lastings Milledge was either the future of the Mets or the chip that would land them the missing piece. And they trade him for...Ryan Church and Brian Schneider!?

That is an odd trade. Milledge will probably be just as good as Church, but has a higher upside. Then they also get a back up catcher. Not a very good trade IMO. I was hoping the O's would go after Milledge. The Mets must have valued him much lower than I thought.

I don't think it is the Mets valuing Milledge too low, but the fact that they tried to trade him to other teams and nobody wanted him. If the Mets were unable to trade Milledge now, what they should have done was play him in '08 and hope he has a good season then if they were still willing to trade him more teams would want him.

They could've traded him two seasons ago to the A's for Zito and probably would've had that pitcher there in the playoffs that would've pushed them past the Cards and on to the rusty ass Tigers. Brilliant, New York management just won some brownie points with me :)

And if the Mets front office didn't :censored: up three or four years ago and overestimate their ability to get into the playoffs, they could've had him and Scott Kazmir.

IUe6Hvh.png

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess the Yankees are now willing to give up Hughes. This is great. A lot of people expect Hughes to be as good as, if not better than, Santana eventually.

If the Yankees offer Hughes, Melky Cabrera, and another prospect for Santana -- they are the losers of that particular deal. Here's to hoping they do it and the Red Sox turn around and pickup Haren.

IUe6Hvh.png

I'm glad Church is gone, but I'm a little concered about who the Nats catcher will be now.

You guys just *stole* one of the best young prospects in the game...I don't think replacing Brian Schneider's production will be a problem lol.

I'm not worried about the hitting, trust me. But I feel a little shaky about Jesus Flores. If he does alright, I can see the Nats in third next year.

It's being reported that Erik Bedard is not interesting in signing an extension with the O's. Apparently he does not want to be in Baltimore. If the O's get a solid deal for him, he'll probably be with another team sometime next week.

:censored:!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Red Sox seem willing to deal Ellsbury. But aren't willing to deal Ellsbury AND Lester.

Meanwhile the Yankees have offered Phillip Hughes, which would make their offer Phillip Hughes, Melky Cabrera, and another player.

Hard to say which offer is better... personally, I'd take the Yankees deal. Melky Cabrera is going to be very, very good one day and I expect Hughes to eventually be as good as Santana. That said, Ellsbury may just be better than Melky one day and Lowrie and Masterson are very good prospects thrown in.

It's weird that that got out because the Red Sox are usually very secretive. I have to think this information is getting out because they want it to... having the Yankees know what they're offering actually benefits them in this instance because they either land the deal or drive up the price for New York.

IUe6Hvh.png

Word has it that, late last night, the Red Sox and Twins were swapping medical records of Johan Santana and Jon Lester. From all of the blogs, radio broadcasts and newspapers I've read, they may have a deal in place that would send Santana to Boston for Jon Lester, Coco Crisp, Jed Lowrie and Justin Masterson. We'll see where this thing goes...

Word has it that, late last night, the Red Sox and Twins were swapping medical records of Johan Santana and Jon Lester. From all of the blogs, radio broadcasts and newspapers I've read, they may have a deal in place that would send Santana to Boston for Jon Lester, Coco Crisp, Jed Lowrie and Justin Masterson. We'll see where this thing goes...

I think I read that the Twins like Jon Lester more than Phillip Hughes... not that I understand why, but I won't complain. Maybe because Lester's a lefty? I like Lester and all, but I like Hughes' ceiling much more. Lowrie's blocked by Pedroia and Lugo... Coco Crisp is expendable with Jacoby Ellsbury ready for next season, and will have probably been dealt this offseason anyway, and while I don't know much about Masterson, I don't know where he plays into the future of the club. He'll probably end up a reliever, I'd think.

This sounds like it's getting pretty close. Special thanks to the clowns that are running things in New York for setting that deadline. Red Sox really had a win/win situation here... either they land Santana without losing anyone they can't afford to replace fairly easily or New York lands him and gives up guys they really can't afford to lose. And now if New York gets back involved, they lose any credibility they still had after the A-Rod fiasco.

IUe6Hvh.png

Not sure how reliable...

http://wintermeetings.mlblogs.com/nashvill...s_set_to_a.html

Looks like the Tigers are set to acquire both Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis from the Tigers.

The Tigers as of right now have the most feared lineup in baseball, and their pitching just got an upgrade to boot. They've got some serious young arms on that squad, now. Detroit's going to be deadly serious next year.

And in the meantime, apparently the Marlins are going for another youth movement, because IIRC this is Firesale #3.

1. Can somebody tell me why NL fans should even pay attention to baseball this year?

2. Get your Charlotte Marlins/Las Vegas Aces/Portland Beavers concepts ready.

3. What's the major league record for lowest attendance in a season?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That doesn't sound THAT bad...as long as they don't send away Jacoby Ellsbury.

1. Can somebody tell me why NL Marlins fans should even pay attention to baseball this year?

Not all NL fans. The Braves still want the division, and apparently that's all that matters at this point. ^_^

Archived