2007-2008 MLB Offseason Thread

Audiodrama

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:notworthy::shocked::notworthy:

I'm still shocked by this trade. I thought the Tigers might make a run at Willis, but not both Willis and Cabrera.

The best part of this deal is, while the Tigers gave up two top-notch prospects in Maybin and Miller, both Willis and Cabrera are still pretty young. So this shouldn't be a repeat of the infamous Doyle Alexander-for-John Smoltz trade in '87 (trading a promising young player for a veteran).

GO GET 'EM TIGERS!

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

I'm so happy the Tigers got MCab. I thought for sure it would be one of the LA teams. As of right now, both Tejada and Bedard look like the best fits there too. This could get a good bidding war between the two for the O's.

I'm disappointed that the Dodgers didn't try to trade for him. He would've been a nice bat. Of course I wouldn't want to give up Kemp or Billingsley, so there's no way Florida would've taken that deal. Too bad they wouldn't be willing to have Juan Pierre back :P

espnsig.gif

im upset about this Elijah Dukes signing w/ the Nats. its obvious he has character flaws, to say the least. Kasten said he did his research and whatnot, but the first sign of trouble with this guy he needs to be out the door. Dmitri Young is saying he could be his mentor, and help him along. im gonna give the guy a little bit of credit, he resurrected his career last year, hopefully he can help Dukes do the same, but im not all entirely convinced. btw THANK YOU OMAR! Lastings will do very well here.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

The Tigers want to win now I guess. Otherwise they are going to have a whole lot of money locked up in those 2 guys when they are either arbitration eligible or free agents.

Even so, I think its a good trade for the tigers. They get a mid line starter (top of the line in the NL, most likely a 3 or 4 in the AL) and one of the best hitters in the league. Its hard to argue giving up stuff that looks good on paper for real life production.

I don't think they sold the farm, but I'm not sure that many teams could have offered a similar package of prospects. This is how the Marlins are successful at such a low payroll. They are excellent talent evaluators. I'm not sure what they are waiting for, but they know what they are doing when it comes to young talent.

The Tigers want to win now I guess. Otherwise they are going to have a whole lot of money locked up in those 2 guys when they are either arbitration eligible or free agents.

Even so, I think its a good trade for the tigers. They get a mid line starter (top of the line in the NL, most likely a 3 or 4 in the AL) and one of the best hitters in the league. Its hard to argue giving up stuff that looks good on paper for real life production.

I don't think they sold the farm, but I'm not sure that many teams could have offered a similar package of prospects. This is how the Marlins are successful at such a low payroll. They are excellent talent evaluators. I'm not sure what they are waiting for, but they know what they are doing when it comes to young talent.

That Maybin kid's supposed to be one of the best prospects in the League.

I do like the trade for Detroit, but I'd be a little worried about Dontrelle Willis. He's proven great in the past but he looked terrible last season... and a 5.17 ERA in the NL doesn't translate too well to the American League. The Tigers aren't getting the pitcher that a lot of people think they're getting, I think. I'd expect him to perform at a level you'd expect from, as Pat mentioned, a #3 or 4.

I think I read somewhere that the Sox and Twins have the framework for a deal, and negotiations on a new contract for Santana could start with the next day or so but I'm too lazy to find the article, so take this update with a grain of salt.

IUe6Hvh.png

1. Can somebody tell me why NL fans should even pay attention to baseball this year?

Phillies. Braves. Mets. That's why.

2. Get your Charlotte Marlins/Las Vegas Aces/Portland Beavers concepts ready.

Charlotte Hornets! ^_^

3. What's the major league record for lowest attendance in a season?

1899 Cleveland Spiders. 37 people and three cats.

philly.png

Jeffrey Loria is doing as great of a job with the Marlins as he did with the Expos. This is a guy who should not own a professional sports team under any circumstances.

MLB likes to stick him in markets they want to move from... he's good at killing franchises so the league can blame the fans and the city.

The Tigers look unstoppable.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

1. Can somebody tell me why NL fans should even pay attention to baseball this year?

Phillies. Braves. Mets. That's why.

2. Get your Charlotte Marlins/Las Vegas Aces/Portland Beavers concepts ready.

Charlotte Hornets! ^_^

3. What's the major league record for lowest attendance in a season?

1899 Cleveland Spiders. 37 people and three cats.

Ok...besides the NL East, is there a reason?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Jason Bay may be going to Cleveland according to TSN.ca, but deal is apparently far from being done.

http://tsn.ca/mlb/news_story/?ID=224410&hubname=

Good, now we can't win the division or the wild-card! :wacko:

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Good, now we can't win the division or the wild-card! :wacko:

Like you were going to finish ahead of Boston and New York anyway....

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived