MLB Popularity Awards are out again!

pcgd

I may be biased, but you're going to have a tough time convincing me that Torii Hunter isn't worthy of this Gold Glove award.

I'll back up the Hunter-deserved-his-GG argument. Putting numbers aside for a second (note: not dismissing them altogether), nobody changes the way the outfield plays like Hunter. He's so fun to watch out there, and that's why I put him down in that "player-you-can't-hate-on-the-team-you-hate" thread or whatever it was called. I very much hope the White Sox sign him, because not only does it fill a hole for us, it eliminates one of the biggest Sox-killers in recent memory. I'd break his salary down like this: (how much I'd pay to have Hunter play for us) + (how much I'd pay to not have Hunter in our division). To me, that total has to be equal to or less than Hunter's asking price.

john mcdonald is the best defensive SS i've ever seen...he makes plays on a daily basis that most SS wouldn't even try to make.

he got absolutely robbed because he can't hit worth a lick, so nobody notices him.

I may be biased, but you're going to have a tough time convincing me that Torii Hunter isn't worthy of this Gold Glove award.

Coco Crisp deserved the award over him -- then again, he deserved it over all three AL Outfielders that won it. Crisp was actually probably the best defensive player in the league. His defensive win shares is 8.5! That number is insane. Ichiro was a 3.3, Hunter was a 5.0, Sizemore was a 5.5...

kinda sound homerish to me. Sizemore played more innings then any other player in the AL at the CF postion and only had 2 errors all year long.

per the MLB website

Sizemore finished with a .995 fielding percentage, 399 putouts and his 1,409 2/3 innings were the most logged by any AL center fielder.

dont know about you, but i think that being .005 away from being perfect deserves some type of award.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

Coco Crisp deserved the award over him -- then again, he deserved it over all three AL Outfielders that won it. Crisp was actually probably the best defensive player in the league. His defensive win shares is 8.5! That number is insane. Ichiro was a 3.3, Hunter was a 5.0, Sizemore was a 5.5...

kinda sound homerish to me. Sizemore played more innings then any other player in the AL at the CF postion and only had 2 errors all year long.

per the MLB website

Sizemore finished with a .995 fielding percentage, 399 putouts and his 1,409 2/3 innings were the most logged by any AL center fielder.

dont know about you, but i think that being .005 away from being perfect deserves some type of award.

I meant more or less over Ichiro. I'd have gone Crisp, Hunter, and Sizemore... but I'd say, without hesitation, that Crisp was the best defensive player in the league. His defensive win share, and numbers in general, this year compare favorably to the best defensive fielders of this generations best seasons. Now, if you can say that .005 away from being perfect deserves an award, then I think you'd agree that .002 away deserves an award too, as Crisp's fielding percentage was a .998, with a pretty sizable advantage in his range factor over Sizemore.

IUe6Hvh.png

per the MLB website

I meant more or less over Ichiro. I'd have gone Crisp, Hunter, and Sizemore... but I'd say, without hesitation, that Crisp was the best defensive player in the league. His defensive win share, and numbers in general, this year compare favorably to the best defensive fielders of this generations best seasons. Now, if you can say that .005 away from being perfect deserves an award, then I think you'd agree that .002 away deserves an award too, as Crisp's fielding percentage was a .998, with a pretty sizable advantage in his range factor over Sizemore.

very vaild points.

i was just being a homer anyways.(waiting on his Sizemore replica to come in)

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

How does Troy Tulowitzki NOT win the award at SS? He lead MLB short stops in every defensive category, and based on numbers, some scouts have said that the difference between Tulowitzki and the SECOND best shortstop is larger than the difference between the second and ninth best short stops.

Youk deserved it at 1B... zero errors at first all year.

Are you also a Rockies fan? How'd the World Series turn out for you, did you watch it? Being in Colorado and pro-Tulo and all...

Maybe you have signatures (and avatars?) turned off...but ITE's a big 'ol Red Sox fan. So I'm pretty sure he was pretty damn happy with the outcome.

Probably follows the Rockies living in Colorado and is therefore familar with them. Might even like them as a second team.

He's right about Tulo even though Rollins is a good shortstop.

Hence the "also a Rockies fan," I figured as much that he was a Red Sox fan based on his sig and avatar. It's not very often that someone's two favorite teams, the hometown pick and the pick of choice, face each other in the finals. I've never seen any Packers-Dolphins Super Bowls or Bucks-Spurs NBA Finals, so I was just thinking that would be cool for a hometown team and a team of choice to both win the conference/league.

I saw SportsCenter's graphic that was surprisingly unbiased (for once) whereby they said that the Rockies had the highest fielding percentage in the history of ever, and they didn't have any golden glovers. I agree about Tulowitzki.

The problem with Crisp though, is his noodle arm. Amazing athlete, fantastic getting to the ball, but his throwing arm is his Achilles heal. I think Alex Rios should have won it. His problem is that he's not flashy. He's so fast and smooth getting to the ball, you don't even realize how good the guy is.

The problem with Crisp though, is his noodle arm. Amazing athlete, fantastic getting to the ball, but his throwing arm is his Achilles heal. I think Alex Rios should have won it. His problem is that he's not flashy. He's so fast and smooth getting to the ball, you don't even realize how good the guy is.

Gold glove, not arm. :P

It is true, though... his arm certainly isn't a strength but his range factor, fielding percentage, and defensive win share are entirely too good to be ignored, in my opinion.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived