39Thirty Variation

no97

Okay, I live in northern Minnesota (-30 with -60 or -70 wind chills isn't uncommon), so can see the beauty of a cap like this. I also don't particularly like wearing winter (stocking) caps unless I have to. So, what's everyone's take on these:

pMLB2-3702747dt.jpg

Yes, they are a bit dorky, but what winter product (especially caps) isn't? I think they may be better if the fold-up flap wasn't a contrasing color, but I still might think about getting one, especially since I wear a hat everywhere. Even when I wear a winter cap (I wear it over the regular baseball cap)... Thoughts?

Moose

I suppose I hid the link a bit... the description says:

Chicago Cubs Downflap 39THIRTY Cap

Item No: 2722116

$27.99

by New Era

A great cap in cool weather!

Fleece flaps fold down to cover ears, with team name and logo embroidered

Flaps fold up when not in use, with batter logo at back

39THIRTY stretch fit

Wool blend

Sizing:

S/M: 21 5/8 - 22 3/4 inches, or hat sizes 6 7/8 - 7 1/4

M/L: 22 3/4 - 23 7/8 inches, or hat sizes 7 1/4 - 7 5/8

From the MLB.com Shop:

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?prod...1452692.1454549

Moose

I really like the idea. I'd buy a Brewers cap if it came in the Friday alt.

Would work well for football teams.

Is that really a 39thirty? Doesn't look like their fancy material.

The profile looks right for the 39thirty cut, and the bill is definitely 39thirty rather than 59fifty.

And where is the Brewers version? Nats, too. We may not have winter here by Wisconsin or Minnesota standards, but if Philly gets a winter cap, so should Washington. (And, you know, Colorado. And Cleveland.) I'm thinking about a Twins one, but I would definitely buy a Nats version.

20082614447.png

I really like the idea. I'd buy a Brewers cap if it came in the Friday alt.

Would work well for football teams.

Is that really a 39thirty? Doesn't look like their fancy material.

The profile looks right for the 39thirty cut, and the bill is definitely 39thirty rather than 59fifty.

And where is the Brewers version? Nats, too. We may not have winter here by Wisconsin or Minnesota standards, but if Philly gets a winter cap, so should Washington. (And, you know, Colorado. And Cleveland.) I'm thinking about a Twins one, but I would definitely buy a Nats version.

I don't think it's a climate thing... I actually saw these when I was out in Oakland this past July (an A's version @ McAfee), but hadn't seen them online anywhere 'til now.

Moose

I don't think it's a climate thing... I actually saw these when I was out in Oakland this past July (an A's version @ McAfee), but hadn't seen them online anywhere 'til now.

I'm not saying it is a climate thing. I'm saying it should be. Some of us prefer not to get frostbite during winter, yet we also want to wear our favorite team baseball caps. This demographic cohort of people who want to wear ballcaps but don't want to have their frozen ears amputated from exposure should constitute the core market for this cap. And while, granted, nobody is going to lose any ears for lack of cap-mounted flip-down fleece flaps in Washington, neither is anybody gong to get frostbite for lack of this cap in Philly, either. So if the Phillies get one of these caps, I demand one for Washington, too.

Raises a question for me, though: Does anyone know where the various MLB teams actually rank in terms of merchandise sales? Are Phillies caps really that much more popular nationwide than Nats caps? Driving around the country this summer, I saw plenty of stores that stocked curly-W Nats caps alongside the required Yankees, Dodgers, and Red Sox caps with no Phillies caps in sight.

20082614447.png

I like 'em!

I wear my Tigers caps year round and am often outside with a cap on my head and ear muffs!

I also proudly wear my "Stormy Kromer" lid in the winter. Made in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, its a wool baseball cap with flaps invented by a former baseball player many, many, many years ago.

http://www.stormykromer.com/product/caps.a...mp;section=caps

They need one for Cleveland, we had flurries yesterday.

Don't even start with me - we've had a two inch snowfall already - and that was over a month ago!

So lucky

I like 'em!

I wear my Tigers caps year round and am often outside with a cap on my head and ear muffs!

I also proudly wear my "Stormy Kromer" lid in the winter. Made in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, its a wool baseball cap with flaps invented by a former baseball player many, many, many years ago.

http://www.stormykromer.com/product/caps.a...mp;section=caps

I'm the (soon to be) proud owner of Stormy Kromer's Lambeau Field version:

0305396010_18_13_5.jpg

Great find, fellow northern Minnesotan! I must get one too and even though it does look a bit nerdy, dorky, etc., you know as well as I do that keeping warm is the main goal. Now we can support our favorite ball clubs at the same time! Watch out for that next Alberta Clipper!!

L'etoile du nord

Archived