From the 'Where did this come from' department..

Seadragon76

I think it would make sense as to explain why they changed it. Let me give you a hint: Blame ESPN. :)

Meaning . . . ????

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I think it would make sense as to explain why they changed it. Let me give you a hint: Blame ESPN. :)

Meaning . . . ????

Somebody was gonna say that..

Here's what I mean: Rider is going to participate in the Old Spice Classic in Orlando, which is a ESPN ran event. The old logo kept causing issues for ESPN when it came to advertising the event. So, I think they asked the people at Rider to change the logo.

The old logo kept causing issues for ESPN when it came to advertising the event.

I'm not sure I follow. What does ESPN and their advertisers have against a cartoon horse standing next to a giant horseshoe?

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

The old logo kept causing issues for ESPN when it came to advertising the event.

I'm not sure I follow. What does ESPN and their advertisers have against a cartoon horse standing next to a giant horseshoe?

Yeah, I'm still not getting it.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Here is the story that proves what I said: Story about Rider's New Logo.

Okay, I did a little digging.

Turns out that ESPN was involved. Kinda.

http://comm.rider.edu/ridernews/html/secti..._newsstory.html

Relevant section:

ESPN, who runs and broadcasts the Old Spice Classic, originally refused the Bronc logo because it is an older file format, known as raster, which made it difficult for the station to enlarge the emblem on its promotional posters, brochures and mailings.

When an image is enlarged in a raster format, the photo becomes blurry, or pixilated. Another format for images is known as vector, which allows people to enlarge or shrink an image without affecting its visual quality.

?Next to the other ones, you can see the difference,? said Karin Torchia, associate athletic director of marketing.

You know, Seadragon, this would have been a lot more interesting had you led with this, instead of playing this coy game.

EDIT: Darn, you beat me to it. But I stand by my last sentence.

Okay, I did a little digging.

Turns out that ESPN was involved. Kinda.

http://comm.rider.edu/ridernews/html/secti..._newsstory.html

Relevant section:

ESPN, who runs and broadcasts the Old Spice Classic, originally refused the Bronc logo because it is an older file format, known as raster, which made it difficult for the station to enlarge the emblem on its promotional posters, brochures and mailings.

When an image is enlarged in a raster format, the photo becomes blurry, or pixilated. Another format for images is known as vector, which allows people to enlarge or shrink an image without affecting its visual quality.

"Next to the other ones, you can see the difference," said Karin Torchia, associate athletic director of marketing.

You know, Seadragon, this would have been a lot more interesting had you led with this, instead of playing this coy game.

EDIT: Darn, you beat me to it. But I stand by my last sentence.

They're changing the logo because they don't have a vector version?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Apparently so. Stunned that such a thing would still be possible.

But that's not the entire reason. The article goes on:

And measuring up to the competition is another reason for the University?s decision to conduct serious progress in changing the Athletics logo.

?We are behind most of the teams in our league who have updated and modernized their logos at some point within the last six or seven years,? said Harnum. ?If you look at them all next to each other, you will see the need for ours.?

But that's not as interesting as "ESPN made small school change its logo".

I guess I follow that article, but I'm still amazed that they found it easier to re-brand the athletic department rather than just put together a vector version of the current logo. How does a university NOT have a vector version of their logo in 2007?

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

I guess I follow that article, but I'm still amazed that they found it easier to re-brand the athletic department rather than just put together a vector version of the current logo. How does a university NOT have a vector version of their logo in 2007?

Dang. That was going to be my point. Wander down to the art dept and have any Beginning Design student do it. Jeez. How hard is that? Moreover, how is that not ESPNs Art Dept's FIRST suggestion to them? When any of us deal with clients...or not even clients but like...local printers. One of the first hurdles you encounter as you're learning is...."I need this in vector".

Also, did someone here do the new logo? I ask because it looks....well. You know. Homemade a little bit. Way too many strokes and bevels and roughly a 75% understanding of tonal drawing and animal anatomy.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

That thing did need updating... but, yeah, it's tough to believe a D-I school doesn't have a vector version of its athletic logo.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

That thing did need updating... but, yeah, it's tough to believe a D-I school doesn't have a vector version of its athletic logo.

Ask Davidson. I've never seen a good version of its athletic logo.

rightnav_wildcat.gif

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived