Seattle Officially in MLS

realmo

Thank God!

They need to start fresh and go with an new identity (As I've said previously in the super long thread about the possible Seattle team names)

Good call on their part. I just hope they stay with the colors of green and blue.

Sooo... ditch the name, because they need a fresh start with a new identity, but keep the colors? :P

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank God!

They need to start fresh and go with an new identity (As I've said previously in the super long thread about the possible Seattle team names)

Good call on their part. I just hope they stay with the colors of green and blue.

Sooo... ditch the name, because they need a fresh start with a new identity, but keep the colors? :P

Shhhhhhhhhhh!

I'm talking out of my a$$.... ^_^

More late-breaking developments:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/lifestyle/339398_socc13.html

One of my fave comedians will have stake in the team! Whoa, another Cleveland/Seattle connection! First, there's the Presidents of the United States of America (a Seattle band) recording Cleveland Rocks, then Seattle native Grady Sizemore playing for the Indians, and now this? Wow. Where does it end? :D

UBwef0L.png

More late-breaking developments:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/lifestyle/339398_socc13.html

One of my fave comedians will have stake in the team! Whoa, another Cleveland/Seattle connection! First, there's the Presidents of the United States of America (a Seattle band) recording Cleveland Rocks, then Seattle native Grady Sizemore playing for the Indians, and now this? Wow. Where does it end? :D

When the Sonics move to Gund Arena.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Just a guess, but I'd say the team might wind up as "Emerald City 09" or some such thing. Isn't there a Bundesliga club "Schalke 04"?

Hannover 96, too.

The New Jersey Wildcats and FC Dallas also have "96" in their crests:

home01_01.jpg

DAL_4693.gif

Theres also 1860 Munich

150px-TSV_1860_München_(Wappen).png

I'd be happy to see them go with Sounders. I also agree with the opinion some have expressed that "FC" is a phrase that should be avoided. Football, in the general North American consciousness is the game played by the the guys with helmets and the oval ball. I don't think using FC in the name does anything to appeal to non-soccer fans or help grow the game. And it just makes a non-mainstream sport seem even more foreign. The use of things like "FC" and the cringe-inducing "Real Salt Lake" are just bad marketing decisions IMO.

Drew Carey's involvement in this doesn't surprise me in the least. He's nuts about soccer and when I saw the pic posted a few pages back in this thread I just knew he'd be involved in the ownership group somehow.

As a rabid fan he appreciates soccer. As a Cleveland native, he understands the need for tradition to continue and what it's like to have it ripped away. Hopefully he's the one to convince the other owners to keep "Sounders" as the name.

nav-logo.png

According to www.mlsinseattle.com , deposits on 3,000 season ticket have been made and 2,000 fans have submitted team name suggestions.

Wonder how many of them have suggested "Seattle Sounders." Probably about half or more.

True story...back when the Peoria Chiefs got a new logo to celebrate the opening of their new ballpark, the Chiefs ownership tried to rename the team to head off outrage over Native American imagery. They offered 4 new names to vote on, and a write-in option. Peoria Chiefs won the vote (via write-in) in fairly convincing fashion.

Give the public what they want. :D

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Then there's the "New York Cosmos," which was named by the team's general manager - 'What's even bigger than metropolitan? Cosmopolitan!' he thought.

He then rigged a contest so that his name was selected. :D

I'd love to see any reincarnation of the Cosmos mop the floor with the NY/NJ MetroStars-MetroStars-Red Bull New York/New York Red Bulls or whatever they call themselves these days.

Drew Carey's involvement in this doesn't surprise me in the least. He's nuts about soccer and when I saw the pic posted a few pages back in this thread I just knew he'd be involved in the ownership group somehow.

As a rabid fan he appreciates soccer. As a Cleveland native, he understands the need for tradition to continue and what it's like to have it ripped away. Hopefully he's the one to convince the other owners to keep "Sounders" as the name.

My thoughts exactly. That's why I composed this letter for some of my Sounders-loving friends and relatives in Seattle.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.ph...amp;postcount=1

It couldn't hurt.

I find it odd that Carey is involved in this. Not that he's involved in soccer at all, of course, it's just... well, he can't really openly root for the Galaxy any more, can he? I would have expected him to be involved in a Cleveland group, but this seems really random.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Well, to be fair, if he were involved in a Cleveland team, the Crew fans would be telling him to shove it anyway.

POTD 2013-08-22

Then there's the "New York Cosmos," which was named by the team's general manager - 'What's even bigger than metropolitan? Cosmopolitan!' he thought.

He then rigged a contest so that his name was selected. :D

I'd love to see any reincarnation of the Cosmos mop the floor with the NY/NJ MetroStars-MetroStars-Red Bull New York/New York Red Bulls or whatever they call themselves these days.

Per its agreement with Red Bull, the league can add a second NYC team after 2010, so you might get your wish.

Of course, the idea of putting a second team in the New York area is completely moronic, considering how the current team has fared in every department.

POTD 2013-08-22

I find it odd that Carey is involved in this. Not that he's involved in soccer at all, of course, it's just... well, he can't really openly root for the Galaxy any more, can he? I would have expected him to be involved in a Cleveland group, but this seems really random.

* Drew Carey is a close friend of Joe Roth, the majority owner of Seattle's MLS expansion franchise. Hence, his involvement in the ownership group.

* Aside from Posh Spice's breasts, there's not much to "openly root for" for at a Galaxy match.

* Cleveland's shot at an MLS expansion franchise is a distant one, at best. Since the proposed ownership group's initial stadium plan was scuttled by state political maneuverings, a number of candidates (Philadelphia, St. Louis, etc) have leap-frogged Northeast Ohio in the race to join MLS.

Soccer is an old English school boys' nickname for Association Football which is the official term for the sport the world calls football. It comes from taking the 'soc] out of 'association.'

So why do we call it SOCK-ER instead of SOSH-ER?

Archived