Cal vs USC

cupie

They're wearing throwbacks. The helmet looks like the 1976-1977 one at The Helmet Project. The blue jerseys and gold pants probably are from those years too.

The announcers have called them 1975 throwbacks. Besides last year, 1975 was Cal's only Pac-10 championship (both co-championships). Either they got the facemasks wrong (they're yellow/gold) or the years are off by one at The Helmet Project.

They look like the Cal-Berkeley Packers. They have royal-ish blue jerseys, yellow pants, and a yellow helmet with a white "C" in a blue oval.

It's not a good look.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

They look like the Cal-Berkeley Packers. They have royal-ish blue jerseys, yellow pants, and a yellow helmet with a white "C" in a blue oval.

It's not a good look.

They do look like the Packers. A perfect description. Don't dig them at all. I guess after the game everything will be auctioned off.

They're wearing throwbacks. The helmet looks like the 1976-1977 one at The Helmet Project. The blue jerseys and gold pants probably are from those years too.

The announcers have called them 1975 throwbacks. Besides last year, 1975 was Cal's only Pac-10 championship (both co-championships). Either they got the facemasks wrong (they're yellow/gold) or the years are off by one at The Helmet Project.

Slight correction to your post, it was still the Pac 8 when they last won an outright championship. For all of you who are not seeing this game, picture the Pitt Panthers uniform from the Dorsett years through Dan Marino. No nameplates on the back for Cal though. Royal blue and yellow tonight.

Plus, Nate Longshore is as mobile as the current Dan Marino, so very appropriate.

I don't know if they're gorgeous, but they are better uniform wise, than the current ones. The current helmet is better. Here's the story about why they're doing it.

Golden Bears Honor Memory of Joe Roth With Throwback Uniforms

Helmets and Uniforms Available to Fans Via Auction at CalBears.com

Nov. 10, 2007

Berkeley - The University of California football team will wear special "throwback" uniforms today to honor one if its all-time greats. The uniforms, which reflect the gear worn by All-American quarterback Joe Roth in 1975, were designed specially by Nike. The team chose to wear the commemorative jerseys, pants and helmets against USC for the annual Joe Roth Memorial Game.

Click here to take part in the Joe Roth Throwback Auction.

Roth came to Cal as a junior-college transfer in 1975 and after winning the starting quarterback job for the third game, he led the Golden Bears to eight wins in their final nine games and a share of the Pac-8 Championship. Entering the 1976 season, Roth was considered a favorite for the Heisman Trophy. Described by some as the "best quarterback prospect since Joe Namath," Roth discovered he had cancer during that 1976 season and passed away in February 1977, shortly after playing in two college all-star games. Roth's No. 12 is the only retired jersey in the history of Cal football and he is remembered with a special display in the Cal locker room. Cal has designated each year's home game against its Southern California foe (USC or UCLA) as the Joe Roth Memorial Game.

Read San Francisco Chronicle feature on Joe Roth from February.

In addition to the throwback uniforms for this year's game, the first 15,000 fans will receive commemorative throwback caps with the old-style "block C" which appeared on Cal's helmets in 1975.

The official, game-worn commemorative uniforms are available to fans via online auction beginning at kickoff today. The jersey and pants for each dressed player are being auctioned, as well as each helmet. In addition, seven complete Joe Roth uniforms (jersey, pants and helmet) are available. The auction ends on Nov 19. Items will be staggered over three times that day, not all at once

Here's a pic of Joe Roth.

JoeRoth.jpg

Here's a pic of Marino at Pitt. The striping is similar on the jerseys and pants, yet there are noticeable differences. I'd say the uniforms are closer to the current Packers look with yellow number though and a solid color. The Marino era pants had a thick blue stripe outlined by two thinner blue stripes. The Cal uni's they're wearing are an even blue-white-blue stripes on the pants.

dan-marino.jpg

"Oddball" You are everything your name implies. And God Bless you for it!

Thanks. I'm not sure what that's in reference too, but thanks. If you think I'm odd here, you should see me in my racing league or just get to know me! :D If you can't have fun in life, then you going to die a quick death and I want to live long!

I'm a USC fan, and a Broncos fan, but still...I freaking love those Cal throwbacks. Maybe put the number in white (maybe), but that's about all I'd change from what I've seen on tv and on here. Every time I see them, I personally think "beautiful."

Blue Packers? Eh, so what? It's better than what they have now--overused template, generic navy, and an excuse to wear eyesore gold tops. Gag.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Archived