Cal vs USC

cupie

i keep think pitt mustard years when i see these, but i like em, just take the block "C" off the helmets, and put the "CAL" script in navy or the bear paw with the "C", keep the yellow helmet, and change the blue to royal for all sports or darken it to the navy used by the school now.

Some more shots:

cal.jpg

I like these a lot. I look forward to teams not being afraid of royal blue anymore. I'd prefer a grey or blue mask though. It seems like Cal has historically been navy blue besides this era, and I think this set would look fantastic with a darker shade and a navy mask. And on a semi-related note, I've always loved the way all schools in the UC system have a variation of blue and gold (intended to be Pacific Blue and California Gold).

These uniforms are copies of the uniforms worn by the Golden Bears through the 1977 season, I believe. Cal started to wear royal blue after the '70 or '71 season. I believe Russell Athletic made the originals. Cal pulled a huge upset of USC in '77 in the same jersies.

After Mike White left and Roger Theder took over, the stripes on the sleeves were removed. Home jersies simply had silk screened gold numerals. Away jersies had royal blue numerals. Boring. The facemasks were changed in '80 or '81 to royal blue. Theder also replaced the block C with the script Cal.

When Joe Kapp took over in 1982, the navy blue returned along with the now famous bear claw with the script Cal inside and the number 100 just below to signify the 100th anniversary of the program.

There has been some movement back towards the block C. The baseball team's caps are now the block C. You can purchase them at the ASUC bookstore.

As a follow up, the Bears' road set at that time included royal blue pants with gold-white-gold stripes. If you dig up the Big Game highlights from 1975 on Youtube you can see them. Theder got rid of these and stuck with the gold pants for home and away. The blue facemasks added some balance, especially for the away uniform set.

Some more shots:

cal.jpg

I like these a lot....I think this set would look fantastic with a darker shade and a navy mask.

My thoughts exactly. Go with the Navy and that would be a great look for Cal. I'd even say you could use the current helmet, replace the Royal with Navy and they'd be perfect. Either way, the look is an improvement over their current "looks like every other ugly uniform" Nike template.

BB52Big.jpg

*never mind. answered my own question*

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Here are the highlights of the 1972 Big Game played in the mud at Memorial. You'll see that the uniforms aren't much different from what Cal wore the other night. I noticed that the throwbacks had sewn on numbers. The originals were silk screened.

The helemt logo is a bit blah, but I like the rest. We need to see more yellow helmet/yellow facemask combos :D

I especially like the socks. The jersey top itself would look way complete if the bumbers were outlined in white, considering there are white stripes on the sleeves, pants and helmet stripe.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Archived