RBK Edge revamp

mantleisthebest7

Well, along with my 8-man football league, I've started a concept series for hockey that focuses on redoing the RBK edge uniforms. Some teams, I wont need to change (like the Bruins, Rangers, Red Wings, the usual no-need-to-change-teams), but there are some teams that I think dropped the ball on the new unis.

These are the teams i'm redoing:

Anahiem Ducks (they screwd it up when they dropped the duck-mask two years ago..)

St. Louis Blues

San Jose Sharks

Calgary Flames

Atlanta Thrashers (I hate "ATLANTA" down the arm and since when was baby blue the primary?)

I may find some more teams to do later, but those are the ones I had the biggest problem with.

I'm going to start with the St. Louis Blues. For a few years now, I've been itching for the Blues to slow down on the use of navy and use more blue as a definant primary. I think what they have is ok, but I'd like to see less navy. My idea was to revert the Blues back to thier glory days, when they were the Buffalo Bills of the NHL, appearing in three straight Stanley Cups in 1968,1969,and 1970, but losing to Montreal twice and Boston once (hey its still impressive though). They had an awesome, classic look that I've been wanting to see come back to St. Louis for a while (everytime i play my NHL 04 game and use St. Louis, I use the '69 duds) So, I took the Chargers route by turning back time while leaving some modern touches. You'll see here that I kept some navy but lessened it to put more focus on regular blue. I also changed the blue to more of a faded royal color to resemble the old days. I modernized it by using a more rounded block number font (it is actually the St. Louis Rams number font - thought i'd stay in town). Well, I don't have much else to say, but I hope you guys enjoy and C&C is much appreciated and encouraged. Without further due, the NEW St. Louis Blues!

http://a245.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/image...5801f0733c4.jpg

http://a652.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/image...b5e9d88655b.jpg

http://a895.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/image...fca77c243f6.jpg

Overall they're pretty nice. The few things I have a problem with are the shoulder yoke on the aways, I think you should change that somehow (maybe take away the gap between the yellow and blue). And use the modern wordmark because I think it fits nicely with the numbers you used whereas the old one doesn't. Also maybe try a shoulder logo of some kind like the trumpet or something else. (Atlanta jerseys are quite nice imo and baby blue has been the primary for 2 years now).

To penguin20: The reason I left a gap in between the yellow and blue was because the 1969 ones had a gap, and since i was trying to revitalize those uniforms, i put the gap there. As for the wordmark, i cdidnt use the old one - I just made a new one with the font Agency FB. But If you mean use the one they have now, I don't see why not. I thought about using a shoulder logo like the trumpet, but it just didnt look good to me. St. Louis hasnt had a shoulder logo since they dropped the red from thier color scheme, and the '69 ones, of course, didnt have one, so I figured I'd just leave the shoulders alone.

Thanks for all of your comments! I'm looking forward to hearing more!

P.S: (also for penquin20) As for Atlanta, it's just confusing cause thier logo has like a stripe of baby blue yet they use it for thier primary. It's like the Nats - is red your primary or is navy? Its just a big headache of a color scheme. And I hate "ATLANTA" down the arm cause it just looks untraditional or something. It's just a pet peeve of mine.

thank you for making them look like a respectable hockey team. the biggest pet peeve of mine going back to there change after the circus colors was the bleeding navy in to the royal. i always felt they either needed to add yellow piping around it or lighten up the royal. What they have now isn't bad if not for the bleeding blues and that god awful vertical piping. I don't mind the piping starting at the color and going around the yolk but what they did looks like someone started to outline the yolk, had a heart attack, died or fell asleep and the ink ran down the jersey. I swear thats what it looks like to me.

Anyone else? . . . . .Bueller?......Bueller?.....I hope you guys have seen that show. Bueller?

First off, it's not a show, it's a movie. <_<

Second, the jersey is just so bland. It kind of looks like a low-budget high school uniform. Also, they look sloppy and rushed. I say, back to the drawing board with this concept.

Well, koisim (sorry, the keyboard isnt working too well. Some of the letters dont work. I KNOW I mispelled your name. Sorry!) I DID mean movie. I just say show all the time. Sorry for the confusion. And I know that alot of you say that it is bland. But I'll try and defend it here. I have said a few times on here that my idea i was trying to emulate was the duds they wore to their only Stanley Cup appearances (all losses) - 1968, 1969, 1970. If your saying these are bland, then your saying that the 60's - 70's duds are, too. I tried to add some modernisation (again, a typo due to keyboard problems) by using a more modern block font (St. Louis Rams).

To see what I was trying to emulate, go to Sports-ecyclopedia (hope I spelled it right) and find the St. Louis Blues site, then go to the pictures. The very first player pics should be of players with those unis (including HOFers Glenn Hall and Al Arbour). I'm sorry that some of you dont like them and I'll see what I can do to change it up, but doing too much would stray away from the idea.

Thanks though for ALL of your comments! I'm a young designer (15 years old) and learning from you guys helps me get better and gives me more of and idea of how my work is. Thanks again and keep it up! I appreciate it!

Oh, Old School Fool, I've said my words about Disney LOL. I just hate it. The Ducks (and Coyotes - due to my loyalty for teams close to Utah) are my favorite team, and the duck-mask to me at least was one of those like special attachments for the identity they had, similar to the Yankees and thier pinstripes, or the Bulls and thier "diamond shorts". Then they go and change the only identity I knew for my favorite team to something that looks like a vat of radioactive waste spilled on a reebok jersey. Thats one of the reasons I started this concept (and to revitalie the sweet '69 duds of St. Louis), to correct what I think went wrong, even if it was two years ago (in the Ducks case). But yeah. I'll be shelling out some more concepts soon. I'm currently working on my beloved Ducks (my other fav team doesnt need a change - Phoenix 's look is incredible - at least one of my teams looks good).

I have also added a few more teams to my concept list (these are the ok teams, but im just putting my ideas on them)

Los Angeles Kings

New York Islanders (I actually do hate what they got now)

Florida Panthers

Well, I may add more tommorow but for now they are still works in progress (along with my 8-man football league). Thanks again for your comments! All of them help me!

Oh, Old School Fool, I've said my words about Disney LOL. I just hate it. The Ducks (and Coyotes - due to my loyalty for teams close to Utah) are my favorite team, and the duck-mask to me at least was one of those like special attachments for the identity they had, similar to the Yankees and thier pinstripes, or the Bulls and thier "diamond shorts". Then they go and change the only identity I knew for my favorite team to something that looks like a vat of radioactive waste spilled on a reebok jersey. Thats one of the reasons I started this concept (and to revitalie the sweet '69 duds of St. Louis), to correct what I think went wrong, even if it was two years ago (in the Ducks case). But yeah. I'll be shelling out some more concepts soon. I'm currently working on my beloved Ducks (my other fav team doesnt need a change - Phoenix 's look is incredible - at least one of my teams looks good).

I have also added a few more teams to my concept list (these are the ok teams, but im just putting my ideas on them)

Los Angeles Kings

New York Islanders (I actually do hate what they got now)

Florida Panthers

Well, I may add more tommorow but for now they are still works in progress (along with my 8-man football league). Thanks again for your comments! All of them help me!

bland and boring is what the leafs did to there jersey. Actually I like what you did in your blues concept. yeah it might not be as exciting as the spilled ink blues jersey, but at least the design reflects a time when they actually had a team that was on the cusp of winning cups.

If your saying these are bland, then your saying that the 60's - 70's duds are, too. I tried to add some modernisation (again, a typo due to keyboard problems) by using a more modern block font (St. Louis Rams).

Don't flatter yourself by comparing your jerseys to those worn during the Blues' championship run. Yours look like a sloppy knockoff of the original jerseys slapped onto an EDGE template. I know that that's pretty harsh, but I'm gonna tell it like it is.

I like the Rams font, though. Still, the jerseys are just so sloppily done and just don't fit well on the EDGE template. I would try modifying a Rangers jersey if you want to go with the retro look.

Archived