New numbers for Auburn.

batman1211

I haven't seen this mentioned yet. All year I have enjoyed seeing Auburn University finally have cloth / tackle twill numbers and names. The old iron on plastic numbers have always bothered me because it looks so cheap. Also it seems that there are a lot of other teams that have changed to tackle twill cloth numbers. Does anyone know other teams that have changed this year or are going to change, or teams that you think should. Florida State is the first team that I think needs a jersey overhaul, not a design change but a more professional look.

I haven't seen this mentioned yet. All year I have enjoyed seeing Auburn University finally have cloth / tackle twill numbers and names. The old iron on plastic numbers have always bothered me because it looks so cheap. Also it seems that there are a lot of other teams that have changed to tackle twill cloth numbers. Does anyone know other teams that have changed this year or are going to change, or teams that you think should. Florida State is the first team that I think needs a jersey overhaul, not a design change but a more professional look.

Auburn has used Russell uniforms for years. The numbers were NOT "ironed on." They were screen-printed with plastisol ink. Russell calls it "Russcote" lettering. There's a big difference between "iron-on," plastic (vinyl or film) and screen-printing. A lot of novices assume that all of the above are naturally "iron-on."

Auburn has used Russell uniforms for years. The numbers were NOT "ironed on." They were screen-printed with plastisol ink. Russell calls it "Russcote" lettering. There's a big difference between "iron-on," plastic (vinyl or film) and screen-printing. A lot of novices assume that all of the above are naturally "iron-on."

Well that's kinda something nobody would know if you're not in the business. I know what he's tryin to say. And I agree, it's a good shift to see most teams that used to have screen printing go to the twill. I know Nike's done it with most of their schools (Florida, Georgia, Michigan come to mind in recent years). It does look much more professional. But for whatever reason, FSU's look doesn't bother me, I've gotten too used to those screened numbers with the big holes in em.

However, Auburn is now an Under Armour team...

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Texas' uniforms became my favorite when they added tackle-twill. In fact, when all of the 'Traditional' Nike schools switched to tackletwill, that was just a huge upgrade to me. It just seems better than the "iron-on" or screenprinted style.

The difference came in recent years when the apparell companies agreed to pay for the re-application of loose or missing numbers. In years past, the manufacturer would provide the lettered uniforms to the school at no cost, but the school was on the ticket for any repairs. For example, adidas switched UT to sewn on numbers in 1997, the first year of a partnership, only to switch back to screened numbers in '98 because the numbers would come loose and UT would have to pay a local seamstress to sew them back together. In the latest contract with adidas, they wanted to switch UT back to the tackle-twill, and UT agreed, provided adidas would foot the bill for repairs. They agreed and now UT has the classic look of tackle-twill.

Auburn used Under Armour the last two years but went with the cloth numbers this year. It didn't change immediately. BTW, when did the "traditional" nike teams change to tackle twill? I have noticed more teams, eg. Texas, since Auburn changed.

Michigan, USC, LSU, UGA, Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Arizona State, Florida, Penn State, all did it with their last upgrade, which was probably within the last 2-3 years. I think that FSU and Alabama are the last "holdouts" of the old-style printing. Alabama is in dire need of an upgrade, those crimson jerseys normally look like they got ransacked by the 2nd Quarter.

Archived