What's up with Alex Smith's jersey?

wman

Ok, someone keep me honest here. I'm watching Seahawks-Niners and they keep going to close ups on Alex Smith and I swear he doesn't have a mesh jersey on. It almost looks like one of those durene ones from the 70s.

Please confirm this for me or tell me I need to get my hi-def signal checked out.

Sorry, no pics...

Could it be a different thicker material because it was cold up in Seattle? I know in the NHL at least in the late 80's some teams would switch to the mesh jerseys at the end of the season and in the Stanley Cup Playoffs because they were cooler. I don't know, I'm just throwing out a possibility.

Many quarterbacks have "cold-weather" jerseys, made of thicker material and with the hand-warmer built in.

Brett Favre wore his Nike cold weather jersey even through the first couple years of the Reebok contract, before somebody noticed and had Reebok make him a new one....

I'm not sure if it's a fabric issue or a lighting issue. I also have noticed that Peyton Manning wears a very shiny white jersey also. It's particularly appearent in night games or dome games; Manning's looked pretty shiny at the beginning of the game Sunday night; and less shiny as it got wetter during the game. I also wonder if this effect is more pronounced on quarterbacks and kickers since they don't cut their jerseys as tight as the other players and the mesh fabric doesn't stretch out as much.

I didn't watch much of the game last night, but I thought Smith's jersey was more that "shiny under the lights" effect; it didn't appear to be a cold-weather jersey with built-in hand warmers.

Archived