A Minnesota Vikings Jersey Question

oz615

vikings900.jpg

vikings901.jpg

Don't forget that the Colts are moving into Lucas Oil Field next year, so watching Colts home games won't be so crappy of a feeling.

Sadly, the Vikings arent anywhere close to getting that done, or started, or anything. Additionaly, the longer they delay, the more $$$$ is costs, which is the whole issue itself, so.... yeah.

This seems to represent Minnesota thinking:

(1) Baseball games get called off due to rain, and for a team that needs a statewide audience, it's helpful to have certainty about having the game take place at the appointed date and time, therefore ... no roof for the Twins.

(2) Football is a sport meant to be played outdoors regardless of weather, therefore ... the Vikings want a roof.

Packers-2.png

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't forget that the Colts are moving into Lucas Oil Field next year, so watching Colts home games won't be so crappy of a feeling.

Sadly, the Vikings arent anywhere close to getting that done, or started, or anything. Additionaly, the longer they delay, the more $$$$ is costs, which is the whole issue itself, so.... yeah.

This seems to represent Minnesota thinking:

(1) Baseball games get called off due to rain, and for a team that needs a statewide audience, it's helpful to have certainty about having the game take place at the appointed date and time, therefore ... no roof for the Twins.

(2) Football is a sport meant to be played outdoors regardless of weather, therefore ... the Vikings want a roof.

As someone that lives 3.5-4 hours from the Twin Cities (depending on traffic), I understand the frustration of those that want a roof on the Twins ballpark. However, I've done three ballpark trips (a total of 18 games) where there was no guarantee what-so-ever that the games would be played (i.e. trips to New York, California, and Texas), and only missed one game due to rain. And, I still got to go into the ballpark and check out the stadium, and see the town (Camden and Baltimore).

Now, with that said, I don't mind at all that there is no roof on the new Twins park. I also don't see the beauty of spending the extra $250 million to put one on (HOK's estimate).

On the Vikes front, I do, however, see the beauty from the standpoint of events like the Final Four, etc. There would be no venue in the TC where that could be held if the Metrodome went away, and the new Vikes stadium had no roof. Personally, I'd rather see outdoor football, but there are other needs for large indoor space, and, unfortunatly, the Vikes suffer the consequences. Personally, I'd like to see the team committ to playing all games with the roof open, even if it was built with a roof (even though, as noted, it is a long way from reality)...

Moose

Would love to see the Superdome replaced with this:

newaerial.gif

The roof design is cool (Crescent City and all) and I presume the water there is the river, though if they want it to look real they need to color it mud brown. :D

It would be great to have a landing like AT&T Park so fans could arrive from the Westbank via special ferries.

Where would they put that? The only place I can think of is the Fly behind Audubon Zoo.

As much as I agree that football should be played outdoors...I think it would be a huge mistake economically for New Orleans to go with a major stadium WITHOUT a dome. The Superdome has brought so much economically to that area...I can't imagine a dome-less stadium would be able to successfully replace the Superdome.

newaerial.gif

The roof design is cool (Crescent City and all) and I presume the water there is the river, though if they want it to look real they need to color it mud brown. :D

It would be great to have a landing like AT&T Park so fans could arrive from the Westbank via special ferries.

Where would they put that? The only place I can think of is the Fly behind Audubon Zoo.

As much as I agree that football should be played outdoors...I think it would be a huge mistake economically for New Orleans to go with a major stadium WITHOUT a dome. The Superdome has brought so much economically to that area...I can't imagine a dome-less stadium would be able to successfully replace the Superdome.

Why not if the new facility is just a football stadium? The Superdome serves many purposes but none of them well...ever go to a concert there? Awful. Circus? You're so far away the elephants look small. Baseball? Not so great. Basketball? Sometimes most of the building is dark, it's like being on an empty soundstage with a spotlight on you. And the sightlines are not good even for football. My season tickets back in the day had a blind spot in one corner of the end zone.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

newaerial.gif

Why not if the new facility is just a football stadium? The Superdome serves many purposes but none of them well...ever go to a concert there? Awful. Circus? You're so far away the elephants look small. Baseball? Not so great. Basketball? Sometimes most of the building is dark, it's like being on an empty soundstage with a spotlight on you. And the sightlines are not good even for football. My season tickets back in the day had a blind spot in one corner of the end zone.

Isn't the Superdome a big convention host?

Archived