Who is the greatest post-merger nfl qb?

habsfannova

I think I covered most of the choices, if I didn't, I apologize.  :D

Anyway, I think Elway, Marino, Montana, and Bradshaw are in a rung on top of the others, with Favre really close.

To me, it would matter what you consider of a QB.  If it's the ability to lead a team and be able to make a play out of nothing, Elway would get the cake.  If it would be to pull wins out of a hat and nail the perfect pass, Marino is my man.  If its the Clutch moment, Montana and Bradshaw are without par.

I devalue "lifetime" records, because stats are very misleading.  So, I'm a bit indecisive.  I can pretty much put it down to Marino in the Regular Season, Elway in the playoffs, and Montana in the SB.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dan Marino is the best QB ever. He holds all thre records and was dominant through out his career. While with Miami the Dolphins had no good Running Backs, and there Defense was quite mediocreto even bad in those years.

The Dolphins lost several games where they scored 35 or more points especially in the late 80s and early 90s.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Dan Marino. The is no question, and anyone who chooses other than Dan Marino is obviously not a fan of sports. He owns every QB statistical record there ever could be, he is quite simply the best of not only the post-merger NFL, but in the history of the NFL, there is none better than Dan Marino.

...and this is coming from a Jets fan...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

After looking over the list and thinking about what makes a QB great, leadership, smarts, ability to throw all types of passes (touch, outs, deep ball), athleticism, toughness and just plain winning I have to give it to Elway. I don't base my opinions about "greatness" on mathmetical accumulations, I think records are nice but not all the best players hold the records. Same as many great players don't win the Super Bowl. For all the yards Marino passed for he still doesn't have the one thing that I'm sure he really wanted, a Super Bowl victory. And you can blame Ray Finkle for that.

To me, the question "who is the greatest quarterback of all time" means "which quarterback would you want if you had to win 1 game".  And that, without question, has to be Bubby Brister.  Wait no, Joe Montana.

Yeah do that.  Do exactly THAT

Let me start by saying that I hate, I mean really really hate the following teams.  

The best QB of all time when on top of their game is Brett Favre.  There is no one that can scare the s#!t out of you quite like Mr. Favre.  He can singlehandedly change the outcome of the game.  He is great in the clutch.  He can make throws and plays out of his a$$.  The only thing really holding him back is consistency.

As far as doing it the best and doing it for a long time, look no further than John Elway.  He did it so well for so long.  Took his team to the Super Bowl twice with a piss-poor supporting cast.  He combines accuracy, scrambling ability, arm strength and clutch ability so well and he's done it for so long.  It's hard to not at least argue this one.

Definitely John Elway. He took his team to the Super Bowl when his best receiver was Ricky Nattiel (who?!?). Marino may have the records but Elway has the jewelry. If you were tied or down by a touchdown in the final two minutes, there's no quarterback anyone wanted more than John Elway.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Marino had every opportunity to win, he came into the league with a team that had just gotten to the superbowl, with a fine defense, and one of the most winning coaches of all time.

Marino couldent get it done the playoffs, time in and time out.

Is Emmitt Smith the best RB ever, because he has or had a couple of the big records?

I think under 10% of non-cowboys fans would say he was the best.

Stats are more indicitive of the scheme and longevity than greatness.

Montana got it done, hands down, with Elway second, and Farve a close third.

Marino is in a cluster with the rest.

And a TERRIBLE sportscaster to boot.

Amen, Taj.  Couldn't have said it better myself.

The best QB is Joe Montana. Joe Montana without the arm that some others had. 4 Super Bowls speak for themselves and the man knows how to win. I don't care what Marino had... Marino NEVER got the job done.

In fact, I would put Brett Favre ahead of Dan Marino. Brett Favre hasn't really had all that great of WR's. None of them have done too great outside of GB and away from Brett Favre with the exception of possibly Robert Brooks, and I don't believe he played elsewhere to prove his worth. And none of his running backs have done especially well outside of GB without the compliments of a Brett Favre passing attack. Not to mention, you can't argue with 3 MVP's.

However, In the last 2 minutes of a game, give me Joe Montana or John Elway.

So if I had to build a team around one legendary QB... For my money, Joe Montana is the best.

IUe6Hvh.png

I admittedly don't know the facts about all these QBs. They were all retired or on the verge of retiring when I got into football.

With that said. I gotta go with Dan Marino. I feel that had Kurt Warner ever had a full career like some of these guys, he could have a case, but even if he returns, he'll never get enough years. All the records he has or almost has for single seasons, there is one QB who either tops him or who he just barely passed. Dan Marino. I look at the All Time stats. Dan Marino. It sucks for him he never won a SB, but that's hard to hold against one player. He did have successful teams.

It would be difficult for me to, in this discussion, mention Kurt Warner in the same sentence as anybody on the list above -- even for his short-term accomplishments.  None of these players ever had the offensive weapons -- in fact, no team has EVER had the offensive weapons -- that Kurt Warner had.  He NEVER, and I completely mean NEVER had a play in which a WR wasn't open.  He had the fastest guy on his team being defended by LB's and Ricky Proehl, a main target for this years Super Bowl team very far down the depth chart as a WR -- and it wasn't ever anything against Proehl's ability.

When I think of the best QB -- I try not to think of just stats, because stats are dependent on those around you just as much as they depend on yourself.  I also try to think of who the best leader is, because football is the the position in sports that requires the most leadership.

There's only one other QB (John Elway) that could take Joe Montana's spot and put the 49ers in position for "The Catch", or there's only one player who puts them in that position in which they beat the Bengals in the Super Bowl.  And there's only one other QB that could take Elways spot on "The Drive" and lead the Broncos to victory.

For that, Montana and Elway win my spots as best QB's ever -- and Montana wins it by a nudge.  With Favre in a very close 3rd and Marino in 4th.

IUe6Hvh.png

Elway didn't have the talent around him until later. Montana had talent, Marino had the stats.

Elway got my vote, one of the gutsiest QB's ever. Skills that most QB's would die for. He had the longevity that other didn't. Hell i bet he could still play and be a Pro Bowler.

and why the hell aren't Steve DeBerg and Linn Dickey on the list? Oh forgot about Todd Blackledge too.  :D

Don't care. Elway played on two amazingly good Super Bowl teams in which he wasn't the reason they won it. Terrell Davis helped Elway out a TON in terms of how he will be seen in the future as a QB. He was still great. But Joe Cool had more poise than anyone ever.

"Hey look, it's John Candy" (or something like that). Amazing.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived