Who is the greatest post-merger nfl qb?

habsfannova

I went with Elway. I never saw Montana play in his prime (I vaguely remember watching him play a game when he was with the Chiefs, but I was too young to be impressed by much). I based my decision on an Elway-Marino head-to-head, and Elway came out on top. Why?

Because in the end, Elway won. You can argue about supporting casts, strengths of opponents, yada yada yada until the cows come home, but Elway has two rings on his fingers that say he's the better QB. Marino stats are nothing to sneeze at... he's easily number 2 on my list of "Greatest QBs to my knowledge". Elway also had the legs, the arm, the grey stuff between his ears, and the heart required to be #1 on my list. Perhaps the single biggest reason why I'm a Broncos fan (much like Kurt Warner is the single biggest reason that I'm a Rams fan... I know I know... how can cheer for two different teams? With a loud voice and a quick remote-clicking right thumb).

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some of the Running Backs that Marino played with

Troy Straford, Terry Kirby, Sammy Smith, Bobby Humprhey. Tony Paige, Karim Abdul Jabbar, and LaMar Smith

Thats a pretty mediocre group.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Not to say Lamar Smith was any good, but in his first year as a Dolphin, he DID run for over 1,000 yards. AND he almost single handedly got them out of the first round against the Colts one year with 209 yards.

However, I don't think Lamar Smith did play with Dan Marino.

IUe6Hvh.png

Oooh you are right LaMar was not there until 2000, but you get my point he had no Running Game.

Heres another immortla Dolhins RB

Bernie Parmalee he was liek a UPS driver before making the team.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

What, no love for Steve Pisarciewicz? This poll is flawed!

I'm just glad Joe Pisarcik didn't come up....

I remember Joe from his CFL games--didn't miss him though, and haven't thought about him in years.

As to the poll--Marino, Montana, Bradshaw have to be the top 3 in my mind--if you could combine various elements of those three-you'd have a practically unstoppable QB.

But I went with Montana by a nose over Bradshaw--both won more than one Super Bowl--and while people complain about Montana in regards to the receivers he had making him look good, you could make a better case for Bradshaw in terms of numbers of receivers.  But Bradshaw was one of the smartest QB's I ever saw--and he had a nose for where his receivers would be unlike any other QB I've ever seen.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Yes, im not that old, but seeing Joe Montana against the Bengals made the case nearly by itself.

Marino has no business anywhere, and Kurt Warner is behind Randall Cunningham in any of my books, just for a point of reference.

Its gotta be Montana, and I forget about Bradshaw because I didnt see him, but he was amazing when it counted too. Ahead of Farve id imagine.

Seriously guys.. this has gotten way out of hand. I can only write off this unbelieveable streak of not knowing (defined in one word: ignorance) about Joe Montana. Seriously. WOuld Marino throw a ball through a hula hoop at 80 yards away? yes. Would Elway lead his team from behind the last two seasons of his career in front of a million tv cameras? yes.

But in a pick for an all-time team. Montanta. Every time. Without fail. A team of 3rd graders (which some of you guys were in his prime) with Montana at QB still holds a chance.

I'm sorry you havent seen Montana with the 49ers. His with the Cheifs was like Emmit with the Cards is now. Sad.

Montana will QB the team God puts together, and will likely never be challeneged.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

What, no love for Steve Pisarciewicz? This poll is flawed!

I'm just glad Joe Pisarcik didn't come up....

You know, but for one play, he was a pretty decent QB.  I always found it ironic that he ended his playing career with the Eagles.

I'm sorry you havent seen Montana with the 49ers. His with the Cheifs was like Emmit with the Cards is now. Sad.

last time i checked, Montana almost got the Chiefs to the super bowl in his two years there, and the Cards with Emmitt were basically the same as the Desert Bums w/o #22.  

my vote, however, goes to #4.  i'll take Favre and the southern miss basketball team going both ways :D put it this way: Favre was a major part of the Packers' return to relevance and then glory, and this is with an inconsistent running game til Ahman came here.  For that, when i'm old and broken down i'm gonna tell the grandkids about the toughest QB i ever seen, the man from Mississippi.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I wouldn't say it was too terribly inconsistent.  Dorsey Levens and Edgar Bennett play solid  during Favre's MVP years.  And they still had their FB then, or did they not?  I'm not sure.

But I got Favre as #3 of all-time -- Although I was watching NFL Film's greatest games of all-time was Brett Favre's first ever game as a Packer against the Falcons.  Getting beat around for a little while before leading the game winning drive in a comeback victory.

You had to know he was something special, even then.

IUe6Hvh.png

Where does Warren Moon rank?

If I'm not mistaken, he threw for more yards in pro football than any other QB.

Although many of those yards came in the pass-happy CFL, I think that is balanced by the fact that he was able to be very successful in two very different styles of football.

(Yes, I know the subject is NFL QBs, so this is a little off topic, but what do you think?)

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Warren Moon is a great QB and an HOFer but his years in teh CFL have no impact on his NFL career.

Perhaps if he went to a Super Bowl and played his entire career in the NFL he would  be on this list.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

my vote, however, goes to #4. i'll take Favre and the southern miss basketball team going both ways :D put it this way: Favre was a major part of the Packers' return to relevance and then glory, and this is with an inconsistent running game til Ahman came here. For that, when i'm old and broken down i'm gonna tell the grandkids about the toughest QB i ever seen, the man from Mississippi.

Not to bash Montana, im not doubting his talent, but the thing I have about it is...

In St. Louis, there was this guy, names Trent Green, he was great, but he got hurt, so in stepped Kurt Warner, he was great, but he got hurt, In stepped, Marc Bulger.

I guess what Im gettin at is, Montana seemed like superman, but then when Steve Young came in, he was pretty good too. Its not as likely that two QBs would have back to back careers, on the same team, and both be considered HOF worthy. I would think that they would both have to be somewhat overrated.

Also, you have to realize that SF was not hampered by SC/Free Agency, and when it did kick in for them, they were average like everybody else, even with young. Dan Marino was stellar as well, and I dont think that its all about championships, because if your winning more tons of them, its your team, not your QB alone. But you should at least get to more then one SB in your career.

John Elway and Favre are alot alike, in my book. I think when its said and done, they will probably tie for championships, and much the same way as Elway did in his later years, even against the Packers, he will rely on the running game.

I know nobody is going to put stock in my vote, cause Im a packer fan, but honestly, There never was as durable a qb. Brett Favre has not missed a start since 1992! And he gets hit by 300 pound guys for a living. He has never had a losing season, but he has had those caliber of teams. I hate to use that every time, because I also think that a high-caliber WR wouldnt jive well with Brett. He likes to spread the ball around, so I can say few do, or have been able to ever the field like him. He may not have the 4th quarter comebacks of Elway, but you dont wait until the 4th to put a team away. He has one more championship then Marino, and is chasing down all his records. He has done all of it in the free agency era. In his prime, had 3 consecutive league MVP awards.(On the other hand, whats an MVP anymore? They took half of mannings to give to McNair to be PC.)

You could make a strong case for Elway, Favre, Mario, or Montana. One, in one way or another has the goods over the others. I take Favre because in this new era of rapid chaos and change, he has stayed consistanty better then 96% of the rest of the Qbs in the league.

My personal opinion is that some of the media types are getting so sick of Favres success, that they are trying to push him out the door in order to move on to bigger and better things. Stories about the success of Brett Favre is not News, simply because there is nothing "new" about it.

In the end, Like Im just glad I got to see the entirey of his career.

I think in the end, you have to take in all that they accomplished, and then the era they played in, the teams that they played with. How many HOFers played with Favre? 1-reggie white

Play RBI Baseball 2K9 @ http://league.rbicentral.com

My personal opinion is that some of the media types are getting so sick of Favres success, that they are trying to push him out the door in order to move on to bigger and better things. Stories about the success of Brett Favre is not News, simply because there is nothing "new" about it.

i know what you're getting at, some of the morons at the Journal Sentinel are going on about he's showing his age.  so danging what?  the man still has more talent in his thumb than a lot of QBs out there...okay i'm stretching but you hear me.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Yeah, I love the CFL, and Moon is great Professionally.

His CFL years should count, as should Flutie. Maybe a great discussion for another day....

No, that's like counting someones AAA stats as part as thier MLB career stats. I know alot people here love the CFL, but the fact is it is basically a minor league to the NFL.

I am not trying to bash the CFL. I think it a great league, especially for a QB to improve on is passing skills. Warren Moon is a great example of this.

The CFL & NFL are different games--overall I prefer the CFL because of the rules and style of play--both American & Canadian football grew out of Rugby--and so some similarities emerged--but the games did develop independantly...

I agree it is silly to combine stast from the two leagues--

However I do disagree with the comment that it would be like combining AAA with MLB.  The CFL is closer to the NFL than AAA is to MLB.  I know I've seen CFL & AAA in person--and followed both--although I payed very little attention to AAA this past year.

Until the 70's it wasn't uncommon for Americans to come to Canada to play in the CFL when they could have played in the NFL--sometimes they even made better money.  Many of those returned to the US & played in the NFL.  Then along came the WFL and salaries started going up--as that & other factors changed the salary structure of the leagues, more and more of the talent stayed in the US.  So if you base a preference for the NFL based on the "best players" I ask this--

What if the NFL used CFL rules?  I think it would be better.

However--it is possible to appreciate both leagues--I don't understand how some NFL fans refuse to even consider the possibilty that another league of anything resembling football could be entertaining.

But I don't think CFL & NFL stats should be combined--nor NHL & WHA either.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived