Kobe Bryant blocks trade to Detroit

GFB

ESPN reported that at 6:45 Tuesday night, the Lakers accepted a trade from the Pistons. The offer was....

Pistons get:

- Kobe Bryant

Lakers get:

- Richard Hamilton

- Tayshaun Prince

- Amir Johnson

- #1 Draft Pick

However, the move to Detroit was shot down by Kobe.

If the trade had gone through, the Pistons would have jumped to #1 in the East over Boston. But I guess being on a legitimate title-contending team isn't enough for Kobe....

Props to Joe Dumars for being aggressive.

The only place I can see Kobe landing is Chicago. But after they give up Gordon and Deng, they will be LA Lakers 2.0... You really have to wonder where is heart is after this; winning championships or putting up points?

1. The Pistons are already No.1 in the East over Boston, regardless of current record.

2. It's probably for the best that he shot it down... I like Detroit's team as-is over a lineup consisting of Sheed, McDyess, Ronald Dupree, Kobe Bryant and Chauncey Billups. Detroit has been in the Eastern Conference finals every year since 2003. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

3. Kobe isn't going anywhere unless he voids the no-trade clause, which he won't. Any deal the Lakers agree to with Team X will be shot down by Kobe because all the pieces involved that are necessary to strike said deal depletes the team receiving Kobe of their talent, therefore becoming the Lakers all over again. It's not like the Lakers are going to accept something like Joakim Noah, Joe Smith, Chris Duhon and Thabo Sefalosha. They want guys like Ty Thomas, Ben Gordon and Luol Deng. And rightfully so.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

1. The Pistons are already No.1 in the East over Boston, regardless of current record.

2. It's probably for the best that he shot it down... I like Detroit's team as-is over a lineup consisting of Sheed, McDyess, Ronald Dupree, Kobe Bryant and Chauncey Billups. Detroit has been in the Eastern Conference finals every year since 2003. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

3. Kobe isn't going anywhere unless he voids the no-trade clause, which he won't. Any deal the Lakers agree to with Team X will be shot down by Kobe because all the pieces involved that are necessary to strike said deal depletes the team receiving Kobe of their talent, therefore becoming the Lakers all over again. It's not like the Lakers are going to accept something like Joakim Noah, Joe Smith, Chris Duhon and Thabo Sefalosha. They want guys like Ty Thomas, Ben Gordon and Luol Deng. And rightfully so.

1. That's ridiculous. I hate the Celtics with an absolute passion, but saying that the Pistons are a better team than them? That's just plain lunacy.

2. Yeah, the Pistons have been to the Conference Finals every year since 2003, but last year they lost to a vastly inferior, albeit speedy, Cavaliers team because they simply couldn't keep up. Adding Kobe Bryant to a team that already has a great point guard in Chauncey Billups and a rejuvenated Rasheed Wallace (he's in the best shape he's been in since his early days in Portland) could do nothing but help push the Pistons over the Celtics (i.e. Kobe>KG) and possibly bring the Larry O'Brien Trophy back to Motown.

3. Most likely, if he were to be traded to the Windy City, which I doubt, Ben Gordon, Kirk Hinrich, Joakim Noah, and a first round draft pick (or Tyrus Thomas instead of Noah and the pick) would be the package. Chicago has made it very clear from the beginning of this that they are not willing to trade both Gordon and Luol Deng.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

I honestly think that if the trade went through, most here would be mad. We just don't tolerate divas well in Detroit. I think people agree that some tinkering needs to happen to get back to the Finals, but this isn't it. I really believe most of us would rather watch our gritty collection of castoffs and shrewd draft picks compete win or lose, rather than have a perpetual malcontent and alleged rapist on the team. He just doesn't fit the Detroit mold, in terms of both the team on the floor and its fanbase. Joe Dumars should know that, and I'll be a little disappointed with him if this rumor is true. On the slim possibility Kobe does land here, I won't watch another Pistons game until he's gone.

You really have to wonder where is heart is after this; winning championships or putting up points?

That's easy. He already has three rings. Do the math.

Kobe is the A-Rod of the NBA. Great player but too expensive to acquire. Any team that trades for him is killing itself for, at the very least, two or three years. You lose too much in a trade to make him worth it. The Lakers will want too much and any contender that trades for him suddenly becomes less of a contender because they had to break up a good team to get him. STL Fanatic called it right. It's a catch-22.

BB52Big.jpg

I honestly think that if the trade went through, most here would be mad. We just don't tolerate divas well in Detroit. I think people agree that some tinkering needs to happen to get back to the Finals, but this isn't it. I really believe most of us would rather watch our gritty collection of castoffs and shrewd draft picks compete win or lose, rather than have a perpetual malcontent and alleged rapist on the team. He just doesn't fit the Detroit mold, in terms of both the team on the floor and its fanbase. Joe Dumars should know that, and I'll be a little disappointed with him if this rumor is true. On the slim possibility Kobe does land here, I won't watch another Pistons game until he's gone.

You ain't never lied.

Outside of Barry Sanders (and maybe Steve Yzerman), I can't recall one singular player on any of Detroit's major pro sports teams being a "shining star" above the rest. I've always thought of the D as a "lunchpail" type city...blue-collar, hard-working to the bone. And I think the Pistons squads (before Big Ben left) best personified that. No one clamored for singular glory (and if they did, they didn't do it in public). Look at the Lions. You know the QB, you know the WRs, since the media done made so much headway with them--and after the game against the Broncos, plenty of people should know Shaun Rogers by now--but, outside of D's residents and Shumway, most NFL fans couldn't name anyone else on that team. But yet, as a collective, they're working, and finally turning the corner, or so it seems. Look at the Tigers. They were so good for that lil' stretch, and yes, they had some high-profile players, but it was the whole team working together that won them those games and got them into the World Series last year.

The point I'm trying to make is this: Kobe has NO place in a city like Detroit. Those people would rip his royal head off, dribble it a couple times, and then kick it right back at him. I've been there. I know how and what the 313 will do to "primadonnas". And it ain't pretty. (I say that as a good thing--kinda wish more places were like the D that way.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

After hearing him block this trade on ESPN Radio, i have truly been convenced that he only want to go to Chicago so he can be the 2nd Coming of Michael Jordan. What wrong with gettin traded to Detroit, you would still have Chauncey and Rasheed. Im not understanding Kobe.

You really have to wonder where is heart is after this; winning championships or putting up points?

That's easy. He already has three rings. Do the math.

Kobe is the A-Rod of the NBA. Great player but too expensive to acquire. Any team that trades for him is killing itself for, at the very least, two or three years. You lose too much in a trade to make him worth it. The Lakers will want too much and any contender that trades for him suddenly becomes less of a contender because they had to break up a good team to get him. STL Fanatic called it right. It's a catch-22.

But the point is that the Postons are one of the few teams who have the depth to give away that much and still have a solid core to bring Kobe into.... he had a chance to get one or two more rings, and he turned it down....

Milo, can you honestly say that you would have the Pistons lose with "good guys", rather than win championships with "not so good guys".

And if the Bulls continue to faulter, I think they will panic, pull the trigger, and give up too much for Kobe (Gordon AND Deng)...

I pretty much agree with Milo on this one, I just can't imagine Kobe in a Pistons jersey, and I am not sure I would want to see him in one. I have never been a fan of these kinds of players in any sport, and would usually prefer a hard-working team who just wants to regardless of their personal stats.

And Koizim, it is ridiculous to put Boston over Detroit 7-8 games into the season in the first place, when Detroit has been consistently good for at least 5 years.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Never heard of Motown Records, eh? *ducks to avoid tomatoes* :P

Anywho, on topic...Kobe may very well be the best basketball player in the world(since Thunder Dan's retired at least), but giving up two great, underrated players such as Rip(whose billboard I pass just about every week) and Tayshaun just seems to be a bit much, especially with a #1 pick thrown in as well.

Milo, can you honestly say that you would have the Pistons lose with "good guys", rather than win championships with "not so good guys".

I can't speak for Milo but I know I'd rather try to win with "good guys" than sell out and sign anyone just to get a ring. It's not an either or question. The Pistons can fill their holes without Kobe Bryant. Besides, what has Kobe won since Shaq got traded?

BB52Big.jpg

I can't speak for Milo but I know I'd rather try to win with "good guys" than sell out and sign anyone just to get a ring. It's not an either or question. The Pistons can fill their holes without Kobe Bryant. Besides, what has Kobe won since Shaq got traded?

Well, who has Kobe had around him since Shaq got traded?

Sorry man, but if I owned a franchise, it's all about winning championships, "good guys" or not.

GFB, my answer is yes. I know not every current Piston is a saint, but Kobe is far beyond "not so good guy" territory. He's clearly one of the worst character guys in the NBA. To further address the question--why do you think people embrace a "noble" champion like the Spurs, while despising superstar-studded but soulless teams like the Lakers and Yankees?

And Infrared--you're absolutely correct. Joe Dumars has already won a title and contended for a few more without the likes of a Kobe, and he can build another winner without him. Besides, Kobe's proven he can only bring a title if he's alongside another bona fide superstar--but how will that ever happen when he insists on being the big dog above all else?

Outside of Barry Sanders (and maybe Steve Yzerman), I can't recall one singular player on any of Detroit's major pro sports teams being a "shining star" above the rest. I've always thought of the D as a "lunchpail" type city...blue-collar, hard-working to the bone.

We do love those types above all, for the most part. For example, Ben Wallace will never be as appreciated as he was in Detroit. But it's not like we don't want superstars too, we just demand that they have character. The two guys you mentioned were all class, besides being at the top of their game. Barry is arguably the greatest RB ever, yet never felt the need to do a silly dance when he scored. He just flipped the ball to the referee and headed for the sideline. He held out a time or two more than I liked, and left the Lions in a bind when he quit right before training camp, but overall he played the game with dignity. And we all know what a quiet leader and model citizen Yzerman was while winning Cups and becoming the third greatest center of his era, behind only Gretzky and Lemieux. Barry and Stevie were the complete package, it's not just their stats that made them Detroit sports immortals.

he'll play for the bulls....pax will get this together...the Lakers are asking for the world. Gordon is assured to be in it...Heinrich will not- and if Kob voids if Deng's involved...work from there:

Send 'em Gordon, Wallace and a pick....if they don't want old n slow- give 'em tyrus thomas and someone else

jongarlanduj6.jpg

he'll play for the bulls....pax will get this together...the Lakers are asking for the world. Gordon is assured to be in it...Heinrich will not- and if Kob voids if Deng's involved...work from there:

Send 'em Gordon, Wallace and a pick....if they don't want old n slow- give 'em tyrus thomas and someone else

One slight problem: BEN WALLACE IS UNTRADEABLE!!! His contract is so obscene that, when compared to his diminishing skills, he's just not worth it. Plus, unless I'm mistaken, Wallace was never even considered part of the deal.

He just hates the jersey template the Pistons use.

Wouldn't the Lakers' and Pistons' jersey templates be considered the same?

I believe that he was using a little thing we here on earth like to call 'sarcasm.'

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

Archived