Reading Phillies' new logos

Blackjack76

Just... ew...

I don't quite know how to comment. R-Phils? Yikes.

Well, we have "D-Backs" in the major leagues, so this isn't really that much of a surprise. It's still lame as hell, though. WTF color is "Bubble Gum", anyway? :blink:

And the powder blue roadie needs to be sent back to the 1970s where it belongs.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

It's funny. Overall, it's a downgrade. But there are parts of this that I either love or hate... no middle ground.

I love the incorporation of the light blue, and I love the fact that they kept the train-R look. I also love the powder blue alt.

I strongly dislike the use of "R-Phils". They've always been called that, but... well... not by anyone I know. I'd also like to know why they'd go through the trouble of coming up with a new font when they're going to use the current one on their two main jerseys anyway?

Meh.

philly.png

Just... ew...

I don't quite know how to comment. R-Phils? Yikes.

Well, we have "D-Backs" in the major leagues, so this isn't really that much of a surprise. It's still lame as hell, though. WTF color is "Bubble Gum", anyway? :blink:

And the powder blue roadie needs to be sent back to the 1970s where it belongs.

To me, I guess "Bubble Gum" is a manly way of saying "Pink"!

Atlanta Braves, please bring back the Indian Head logo.

WTF color is "Bubble Gum", anyway? :blink:

It's exactly the formerly-used San Antonio Spurs "Fiesta" Fuchsia.

ReadingPhilliesBubblegum.jpg

mmm.... Fiesta Bubble Gum....

wow ... the R-Phils? I supposed it could be worse. The U-Phils? the B-Phils? or... the P-Phils? :blink:

I saw, I came, I left.

heh, I tried to do my best impression of Brian in Boston, but I don't think I did that great a job, lol.

Anyway, what I like about the home jersey is it attempts to separate Reading from Philadelphia while still recognizably remaining a Phillies uniform. The pagoda patch is a nice touch, and though I preferred the previous Reading script, its being on the home uniform stands out, as the only other baseball team I can think of that does this was (is?) the Memphis Redbirds. Notice I said attempts...Phellas, the right sleeve P seems tacked-on and unnecessary. I could understand if they were the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers or Trenton Thunder, but this just clutters an otherwise nice jersey. I also would've liked to see them adopt a Reading wordmark bearing more resemblance to that R-Phils logo. The home cap is alright, nothing more, because the R-star just blends into the rest of the cap too much.

The emphasis on the navy jersey as the main alt, and the red as mainly a BP, this strikes me as an odd decision considering which color dominates the homes. As is the use of R-Phils instead of Phillies on these jerseys. Speaking of the red jersey, I see somebody's been taking cues from the LA Angels. I'd hope the number outline thickens considerably before these see game action. On the alt cap, the R-star logo stands out more than it does on the home cap...gee, I wonder why :rolleyes:

And now we hit the road powder blues. As noted, they modeled it after the 1980 Phillies roads, and used this uniform to keep the train from the previous identity around. While I like the number font on the home and alts, it doesn't seem to mesh as well with the road's retro theme. The cap going with it has the same problem as the home hat: the R blends in too much with the cap.

My favorite piece of the Phillies' new set is the BP cap. The problem with it is it wouldn't make a great main cap, because the concept of a lone star on the hat would make sense for the Rangers, but not many other teams. You don't really think "star" when the Phillies come to mind.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

The Dynamic Star? I hope that's a joke. It's a clipart nautical star that's been italicised a few degrees. I hate the word dynamic, too. It's so vague, and people use it to sound intelligent even if they don't know what it means. Dynamic describes a process or system in a state of constant change or something that stimulates progress. I don't even see how that can relate to a sports logo, unless it just totally knocks your socks off, which this doesn't. Per the definition, I think calling something 'dynamic' is to give it very high praise in the scope of visual design.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The R-Phils had a great identity linking to the parent club, the local area's railroad tradition and old school baseball. I did not like the black jersey itself, but liked the design they used for it. I get what they tried to do, modernize, yet stay in tune with the parent club's identity and history, and respect the local area with the Pagoda, but it ends up a mismatched set of positive, individual pieces ending up in a mess of an identity. I hate the fonts they chose as well, they do not fit at all with the team and Bubble Gum? Really? I really like certain aspects of it alot, but for the most part it is too many logos, too many fonts, just too much going on.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

R-Phils????????

Is this some kind of an attempt to mimic the whole D-Backs identity that Arizona now puts on their uniforms?

No, they've been "nicknamed" (though I see it used more in print than in speech) the R-Phils forever, it just wasn't ever on the uniform before.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived