Urban Baseball League

leopard88

Afros and stacks? Just because this is an "urban' league, doen't mean they should resort to "steriotypical" names like that. I mean the original Negro League had more traditional names, Monarchs, Grays, Giants, Crawfords. THis just seems too gimmicky.

The UBL will feature talent from all racial, social, and economic back-grounds.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of dubbing this the rebirth of the "Negro" Leagues?

No, legally you pretty much have to be open to anyone without discrimination as to race. However, if you call your enterprise a "reborn Negro League" or a "traditionally black institution," or maybe name half your teams the "black" somethings, then you can be pretty sure that you'll mainly attract the participants you're intending to attract.

It would be a good thing if more urban kids in general, and black kids in particular, whether urban or suburban, could be interested in baseball at a young age. If this league does anything to achieve those goals in Jackson, then it's a good thing, no matter how silly this attempt seems to me.

On the logos, if they took the comb out of the afro, or scaled it down somewhat, I'd like totally dig on that logo. The Blackbirds script is reasonably well done for the quick-and-dirty logo design that it is. You don't often see the top of baseball scripts arched down like that. So it's at least interesting. Everything else, bleh.

Makes me wish they'd just gone ahead and ripped off my Washington Potomacs modern Negro Leagues concept. If you're gonna do funk-era blaxploitation, go all in and really do funk-era blaxploitation. Don't half-arse it with clip-art top hats or blackbirds.

Great, more injecting race where it doesn't belong. It's just baseball, and that's the kind of divisiveness that quite bluntly breeds resentment in a lot of white America. There's no need for a "rebirth" of the Negro Leagues, because the original was necessitated in the first place for all the wrong reasons. Oh well, it won't last long anyway.

There's no need for a "rebirth" of the Negro Leagues, because the original was necessitated in the first place for all the wrong reasons.

^ Win.

They didn't start up the Negro Leagues just for the hell of it, they started because they couldn't play anywhere else. This league might be noble in its cause (since the African-American representation in MLB is down to 3% IIRC, and "urban" interest in baseball is dwindling), but it's a dumb way to go about doing it. The Afros?! Blackbirds?! -sigh- And it's kinda sad that white folks would get crucified for starting teams with this name, but we continue to let black people just do stupid things like that. If you're gonna name teams, at least honor the history of those teams, instead of making a mockery of it. Satchel Paige is probably rolling over in his grave right now.

Great, more injecting race where it doesn't belong. It's just baseball, and that's the kind of divisiveness that quite bluntly breeds resentment in a lot of white America. There's no need for a "rebirth" of the Negro Leagues, because the original was necessitated in the first place for all the wrong reasons. Oh well, it won't last long anyway.

Not wanting to breed resentment in white america is not a good reason to not do something. This country would never have made much progress without breeding resentment in white america.

Not wanting to breed resentment in white america is not a good reason to not do something. This country would never have made much progress without breeding resentment in white america.

Likewise, breeding resentment in white America is not a good reason to do something, either. Hell, breeding resentment in anybody is probably not a good way to endear yourself. I'm not saying that's what DeShields and Boyd are doing here, but too many people seem too eager to piss off their neighbor to score some imaginary win. Leave the Negro Leagues where they belong: in the past.

Well the league only needs a team called The Black Faces or The Burnt Corks and we'll be able to hear martin luther roll over.

Martin_Luther.jpg

Martin Luther has no idea what you are talking about. fooligan, indeed.

Well the league only needs a team called The Black Faces or The Burnt Corks and we'll be able to hear martin luther roll over.

Martin_Luther.jpg

Martin Luther has no idea what you are talking about. fooligan, indeed.

My vote for "Best Martin Luther Reference of the Month"

Archived