Need help to "sell" an idea

Swiss

I have an idea about a new cap.

I may start to design and show it here or send it to a caps manufacturer like New Era Cap. But I'm afraid of someone there in New Era Cap stealing me the idea and the design...

How should I prevent it?

If it's for a line of caps called "Road Greys" with each team's city name on the cap looking just like it does on the front of their respective road jerseys, don't bother. I've sent the idea to myself in the mail. Plus, they probably already make something like that.

No, my idea is radically different to the current cap format. Do you recommend me that I must show here my idea?

Since having you sent your idea, didn't you afraid of an idea stealing?

Don't go to New Era or anyone like that. First make a prototype. Secondly, to even get a sniff with a big-time company, you have to meet with them face to face. Everybody has an idea and can call up or email a company and say, "I've got such and such great idea." You need to produce it first, look for patents etc. Do your homework. Once you have all that done, then figure out a company who might buy them. Not New Era, but someplace like Dick's Sporting Goods or your local successful sporting goods store and see if they sell there, because if they don't sell there why would a big-time company like New Era pick up a line that's going to fail? Give them something tangible. We all have great ideas, but they are just that, ideas. You need something that someone can hold and you need to sell face to face to actually sell your product. No one will listen to a pitch on the phone or read a pitch in an email.

Don't go to New Era or anyone like that. First make a prototype. Secondly, to even get a sniff with a big-time company, you have to meet with them face to face. Everybody has an idea and can call up or email a company and say, "I've got such and such great idea." You need to produce it first, look for patents etc. Do your homework. Once you have all that done, then figure out a company who might buy them. Not New Era, but someplace like Dick's Sporting Goods or your local successful sporting goods store and see if they sell there, because if they don't sell there why would a big-time company like New Era pick up a line that's going to fail? Give them something tangible. We all have great ideas, but they are just that, ideas. You need something that someone can hold and you need to sell face to face to actually sell your product. No one will listen to a pitch on the phone or read a pitch in an email.

Gee, thank you alots for your words. You made me more awake.

Yes, you are right about making prototypes and looking for patents. The only obstacle is that I'm not in the States... but a good friend of mine who lives in Boston could make some presentations for me.

Thank you again!

I don't understand you.

What about Pro Logo?

Just a joke. There was a guy here a few years ago, went by the name, Pro Logo. He was forever trying to sell his own brilliance about cap design, specifically for the, then new, Washington baseball team. Some of the older members would remember him. :D

It's not a hat with two brims or a hat with a pocket in it, is it? Might be the two worst ideas ever thought up.

No, no, nothing similar. I would like to show the idea here but someone could steal it to me.

Some people will release product sheets only if include a watermark and some copyright information. I'd really like to see your idea posted here first. If they steal it, then you can sue them and show your original posts here. But with all of the concepts people post, there seems to be some risk of the big companies raping you of your ideas. I think most people find a way around it with watermarks and dating their work.

Yes, but first I must to record a copyright for me in an US patent office. It's not an easy thing to do because I'm outside of the States.

I can give a little insight. Depending on the design of your hat, you will need either a copyright, a patent, or both. If you are radically changing the physical design of the hat and creating a new "invention," then you would want a patent to protect it. That is done by registering with the US Patent and Trademark Office. It has to be new and useful, and it goes through a review process to make sure it has never been done before you get your patent.

You will also want to register with the USPTO if you create a brand name and/or logo. Again, they will search to make sure no one else is using a similar name or logo.

If you are just creating a new design with new logo placement, color use, or something like that but not changing the actual structure of the hat, then you cannot get a patent. However, any type of artwork you create will automatically be copyrighted the second you finish it and publish it. Posting it on a website will probably be enough to consider it "published," but this has never officially been decided in court, and potential thift is a concern. This is true whether it is truly a masterpiece, or your kid's school art project. You don't need to register it with anything, but if you ever plan on suing anyone, then you should register. Just remember to always put a © copyright sign on any work, as well as your name and the year created.

If you are truly serious and have the time and money to devote to it, I would suggest finding an intellectual property lawyer in your area. There are different rules depending on the country you are in. The EU has even more protection for artists, but no matter where you are, you can and should get US protection if that is where you plan on marketing.

Good luck!

Archived