San Antonio Spurs logo concept

Dave Ship

The Alamo is an American landmark and an important part of San Antonio's history. You effortless and and handsomely incorporated it into the Spurs logo, making me wonder why is hadn't been there all along. I think that's really the hallmark of good design: when the elements simply make sense. Very nice.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

That ain't half bad. It's not bold enough to be extremely noticeable upon first glance, which I like. I wouldn't hate it if they did something like that, and I wouldn't complain if they left it alone. I'm on board with either.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

The Alamo is an American landmark and an important part of San Antonio's history. You effortless and and handsomely incorporated it into the Spurs logo, making me wonder why is hadn't been there all along. I think that's really the hallmark of good design: when the elements simply make sense. Very nice.

Excellent and well put. I totally agree. Very nice work.

That looks extremely forced and separated from the rest of the logo. Maybe you should remove the black part where it says San Antonio?

I don't know what everyone else sees in this logo, or if the comments are just the general support of the board. I agree with patsox. It looks bulbous and out of place, from the fifth ridge (which is different from the original ridges) to the rounded off portion, it just looks improper. It wouldn't work as a primary logo because I agree it does look forced... I can't think of a remedy, as the whole logo seems to be sleek and sharp-edged.

I think you're very talented, but this isn't showing it.

My biggest problem is it doesn't really look like the Alamo. I don't know if it's the seemingly unnecessary black shading, the curve being slightly off, or the fact that it's usually depicted with more of the roof shown, but if you asked me what it was right away I could not tell you Alamo.

Incorporating the Alamo is brilliant, but it doesn't match the curvature of the original logo. The SPURS script needs to be flat, I feel. Right now, it just looks like it's been grafted on the old logo.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Thanks for the comments. Any input of how to fill the alamo's semi-circle?

Update

I don't think you should add anything to the semi-circle. Instead, I would change the bottom portion to better complement the inclusion of the Alamo silhouette. Maybe dump the arch design for a shield that emulates the entire Alamo facade?

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I'd say get rid of "San Antonio," make the Spurs part shorter and wider, and then change every sharp, rectangular element in the original logo to make way for the bulbous Alamo section... Not a feasible way to do it, but otherwise it looks like a growth. I agree that a secondary logo would be the way to go on this one.

I like the idea behind this but the execution isn't quite there yet. I would rework the Spurs part so that it is rectangular and then integrate the Alamo into it. Right now it just looks like it was added on at the last minute.

I am including my San Antonio Cavalry logos in this post to show you what I mean as far as integration is concerned, and as well as your own desire for options to help finish the logo off. While I am not saying my logo is the end all for Alamo logos, it does have a sophisticated and finished quality that yours can easily obtain with a little more tweaking. I have a more through explanation of the logos in a thread somewhere on the boards. Just search for San Antonio Cavalry and you should find it.

cavalry_logos.png

Archived