TV numbers

winghaz

It struck me, while watching the Ohio State-Michigan game, about how Michigan's numbers on the arms (or sides of shoulders) were easier to see than Ohio State's TV numbers.

So what gives? I thought TV numbers are supposed to be easier to see on TV?

Yes, TV numbers are suppose to be readable - but since the age of the black and white TV, the numbers have change.

The change has been more drastic over the past 8-10 years, to the point you can't read them unless you're up close.

A few years ago, UCLA had those 'curly' numbers. Other school use them but you can't read them while watching TV.

I guess HD TV might made them better. Seems uniform designers don't take that in to consideration when doing a make over

of the team's unis. But as with anything, it's in, then it's out of style again.

Good point winghaz! :)

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

I guess HD TV might made them better.

Except that with HD, you don't really need the TV numbers to identify the players.

It is a very valid criticism, though, that TV numbers were instituted to make players easier to identify on television, but many teams wear TV numbers that are absolutely unreadable on lo-def TV screens. If a uniform element doesn't fulfill its functional purpose, then it's badly designed, no matter how pretty it might look up close and in person.

20082614447.png

HD makes the image clearer, but the cameraman is usually focusing on the wonder of HD. That is, most cameras emphasize the picture ratio and shoot too far away from the player. Unless the player is lying flat on the ground, the TV numbers are pretty useless anyway.

As far as not making out the numbers on lo-def, that problem will go away in no time. I don't think you can even buy a lo-def TV anymore. Even if you could, why would you?

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

As far as not making out the numbers on lo-def, that problem will go away in no time. I don't think you can even buy a lo-def TV anymore. Even if you could, why would you?

because i don't have 2 to 300 dollars to spend on a hd tv especially when i don't have any problem with the numbers on my regular 23 inch orion tv

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

because i don't have 2 to 300 dollars to spend on a hd tv especially when i don't have any problem with the numbers on my regular 23 inch orion tv

The point being is that standard definition has a very finite lifespan. Everything is being geared towards hi-def and your viewing experience will be degraded. Bottom line is with the changes coming, you're pissing away your money, considering the lifespan of a typical TV set.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

What exactly is a "lo-def" TV? I thought that the term was technically "Standard Definition". Correct me if I'm wrong.

Lo-def or low definition is the same as standard definition. Standard definition just doesn't sound as bad. In this case, it's not a matter of right or wrong.

shysters_sm.jpg

I don't think this has anything to do with high definition or low definition. I think it has to do with the camera angles, and the camera angles, to me, just don't show the TV numbers very well.

And that has to do with where the main cameras are placed in a stadium. There are some places where the main camera angle is so high that it makes sense to put them on the shoulders, and there are some where it's lower and it makes more sense to put them on the biceps ... that is, except for the fact that the numbers are now distorted because the jerseys are so tight over the pads.

Packers-2.png

What exactly is a "lo-def" TV? I thought that the term was technically "Standard Definition". Correct me if I'm wrong.

Let's not get too technical, we all know what low-def means.

I think some sports should get rid of TV or shoulder numbers, particularly NFL.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

The point being is that standard definition has a very finite lifespan. Everything is being geared towards hi-def and your viewing experience will be degraded. Bottom line is with the changes coming, you're pissing away your money, considering the lifespan of a typical TV set.

considering i have to budget each month. increasing my viewing experience isn't top priority. espeically when i spend more time on my computer than on the tv which i only watch for dvds anymore. we even got rid of satellite because we simply weren't watching enough tv to justify having cable/satellite. the only real time i watch tv is sunday night football to see what the cowboys are doing. other than that, i rather use it to play dvds and play my ps2. though i think she plays it more than i do, but she is more of a movie person. with the way we work, increasing our viewing experience with HD tvs, blue ray, HD dvds etc, well its really not top priority when our set up is fine as is.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Except that with HD, you don't really need the TV numbers to identify the players.

It is a very valid criticism, though, that TV numbers were instituted to make players easier to identify on television, but many teams wear TV numbers that are absolutely unreadable on lo-def TV screens. If a uniform element doesn't fulfill its functional purpose, then it's badly designed, no matter how pretty it might look up close and in person.

Bingo.

That's the crticism I have about many contemporary designs - too many have been designed for the gift shop, not the field.

Bingo.

That's the crticism I have about many contemporary designs - too many have been designed for the gift shop, not the field.

This right here is why I'm in the process of developing a new round of action templates to use for my concept designs. A uniform might look good on a style guide template, or hanging in the window of a gift (or sports) shop, but when those uniforms make it onto human bodies and onto the gridiron, what looked like a great design can turn pretty poo-poo pretty darn fast--some of them, anyway. My thing is that if I can make something look good in action (or at least, illustrated in action), since, 90% of the time, when we see players in uniforms, they're moving in them (unless it's baseball...then you can invert the percentages :P ), then I think I done did something good.

(This might also answer more than a few questions I've had PM'd to me as to why I haven't put up anything in the Concepts board for a while...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

from what i understand they are called tv numbers and they have tv numbers not to be seen on tv, but to help cameramen more easily identify a player...so if they are looking to zoom in on someone and they just know his number, they have more options to look at, not just the back of the player or the front of the player. good example of this was the sabres last year when they introduced the slug, the little numbers on the front of the jerseys were a HUGE hit with the tv networks and i heard that the nhl even considered (or at least played with the idea of) making such numbers mandatory for all teams...

everton.png

I can see where the addition helped hockey broadcasts, by adding numbers to the front. Football already has numbers on the front and back.

From my understanding, the "TV Numbers" were to help the spotter during broadcasts. I know at the old Browns Stadium, the Football Press box was on the roof at one time (maybe the whole time). So, the view from that down-ward angle made the "TV Numbers" more detectable for those doing broadcasts.

Get rid of TV numbers, names on the back of uniforms, and everyone should have gray facemasks!!!

A traditionalist can dream, can't he?

:P

Yes, yes, we know. Take the numbers off, take off all the striping, have one team playing in plain white, the other in plain blue or red......

:sleeping:

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived