Least popular star of all-time?

Steel Certain

Ty Cobb comes to mind. He was despised by opponents and teammates alike. I honestly don't know how the fans of that era felt about him. I imagine it was pretty similar to Bonds, his hometown fans probably overlooked his personality while road fans hated his guts. But I can't really say for sure.

Wasn't Ty Cobb a terrible racist as well?

Yes, but back in that day, so were a lot of people (heck - the whole league was segragated), so did that really give (most) baseball fans a reason to hate him? Also, remember that back then, the media coverage wasn't anything like it is today, so players faults weren't exposed nearly in the same way they are today.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, but if you're on the east coast and you have less than a fervent interest in basketball, you couldn't give two :censored:s about Kobe Bryant.

I'm in the midwest and I have very little interest in the NBA. I think Kobe Bryant is an ass and he's bad for the game. I can't stand him. In fact, guys like him are why I don't follow the NBA anymore.

BB52Big.jpg

Ty Cobb comes to mind. He was despised by opponents and teammates alike. I honestly don't know how the fans of that era felt about him. I imagine it was pretty similar to Bonds, his hometown fans probably overlooked his personality while road fans hated his guts. But I can't really say for sure.

Yes, but back in that day, so were a lot of people (heck - the whole league was segragated), so did that really give (most) baseball fans a reason to hate him? Also, remember that back then, the media coverage wasn't anything like it is today, so players faults weren't exposed nearly in the same way they are today.

But there is a popular (at least I thought it was) story about Cobb going into the stands to beat a heckler.

Besides, it's not like racism didn't bother anyone back then. Just because it was socially acceptable to be one doesn't mean everyone in society accepted it.

Not a star, but hated is Henry for the Broncos (can't think of his full name... travis?). Father to nine kids of nine different women? plus the drugs.....

I don't see why either of those are hateable offenses.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Amazing that John Rocker hasn't been mentioned yet...granted his talent level in pretty low in comparison.

t1_rocker_all_01.jpg

For basketball I'm tempted to say Reggie Miller...people just seemed to love to boo him non-stop.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I know Rocker became disliked after his comments. Again... Was he always "Hated" by fans and team mates? I haven't heard a peep regarding him until "BOOM!!" he made all of those comments.

To me, Reggie Miller is more of a "Villain". That would be a whole different topic. Different cities might have a dislike for certain players. It doesn't mean he is hated "in general" across the board by fans and team mates.

Not a star, but hated is Henry for the Broncos (can't think of his full name... travis?). Father to nine kids of nine different women? plus the drugs.....

Sounds quite friendly if he's spreading his seed around like that.....

Sounds quite friendly if he's spreading his seed around like that.....

Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing...

nav-logo.png

No, he was a pretty good racist. Gotta give him credit for being consistent.......

:ninja:

I live in Philadelphia, and Terrell Owens is definitely worthy of mention here. Not Nationally, but definitely HERE...wow. TO occupied like 75% of sport radio's debate time last year after it didn't work out between him, Andy Reid and Donnovan McLetdown.

How about Pete Rose? Not really hated, but definitely a major disappointment, and definitely one of the major "tainters" of the game since Shoeless Joe.

John Rocker is a great mention...they loved him in Atlanta for sure...but I used to live in NYC and they HATED him there. It was Clinton-Lewinsky scandal news-level in the New York Post whenever Rocker was in town.

All-in-all, Bonds has to win the award for Best Player/Most Hated...I'd honestly LOVE to hear him give a solid 30-minute interview on Real Sports, 60 Minutes or any other credible interview show. I'd LOVE it if Jim Rome could get him in the chair!

SB40terribletowel.jpg6220steelers.jpglicense_thum.jpg

I know Rocker became disliked after his comments. Again... Was he always "Hated" by fans and team mates? I haven't heard a peep regarding him until "BOOM!!" he made all of those comments.

John Rocker, before he made those comments, was well on his way to becoming one of the more popular Braves with Smoltz, Glavine, Chipper, Andruw, David Justice, Steve Avery, etc. before he made those comments. Afterwards, only the ignorant supported him. It's really odd that both his career and his skills took a downward spiral after he decided to rip on the biggest media market in the U.S.

I live in Philadelphia, and Terrell Owens is definitely worthy of mention here. Not Nationally, but definitely HERE...wow. TO occupied like 75% of sport radio's debate time last year after it didn't work out between him, Andy Reid and Donnovan McLetdown.

All-in-all, Bonds has to win the award for Best Player/Most Hated...I'd honestly LOVE to hear him give a solid 30-minute interview on Real Sports, 60 Minutes or any other credible interview show. I'd LOVE it if Jim Rome could get him in the chair!

Okay, I think we have someone who finally at least comes within an "Honorable Mention" of Bonds in Terrell Owens. While he's somewhat resurrected his image since moving on to Dallas, the rep remains one of contention, selfishness, and arrogance.

As for Bonds, I'd like to see the California Department of Corrections get him in the chair rather than Jim Rome. Okay, that's too much, even for my visceral hatred of the man... I'd settle for them strapping him in, then just leaving him there instead. :)

nav-logo.png

The first ballplayer who came to my mind after Bonds is Albert Belle. He was such an ass. Certainly not as hated as Bonds, but until Bonds (and the wall to wall coverage you get today that makes you sick of people based on that as much as what they actually do, like Terrell Owens) Belle was the worst.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

How about Pete Rose? Not really hated, but definitely a major disappointment, and definitely one of the major "tainters" of the game since Shoeless Joe.

John Rocker is a great mention...they loved him in Atlanta for sure...but I used to live in NYC and they HATED him there. It was Clinton-Lewinsky scandal news-level in the New York Post whenever Rocker was in town.

I think that is changing somewhat, as people are starting to realize that maybe out of McNabb and Owens, they decided to appease the wrong one...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wasn't Bill Romanowski really hated in the NFL? If I remember right, he ended a few career because he was reckless, and spit in a guys face on national television.

But Bonds has to be the most hated guy in all sports. Not only is he involved in a huge steriod scandal, but he broke Hank Aaron's home run record while doing it. He's a horrible teammate, and other than a few of his close friends, he really hated throughout all of baseball. He aggrogant, and has been since he won that first MVP award for the Piartes long ago. I can tell you, whenever Bonds would come to Pittsburgh, he would get booed so loudly that you would've thought the stadium was going to crumble. It might be because I from Pittsburgh, but anyone within a 100 mile radius of the city hates that man with a passion for what he's done to the game.

nhlvquebec2mw0.pngnhlpittsburghmo1.pngmlsnewenglandei8.pngnflbaltimoreff1.pngncaaohiostatepx4.png

Interesting Baseball fact: In 1960: Baltimore, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh had 2 AAA affiliates, while Los Angeles had 3 teams...and the New York Yankees had the Kansas City Athletics.

Interesting Hockey fact: In 1974, the Buffalo Sabres draft Taro Tsujimoto of the Toyko Katanas with th 183 pick in the draft. It was later revealed that Taro didn't exist, but Taro is still listed as an offical draftee of the Buffalo Sabres in their Media Guide.

I love this post because it begs a question of the opposite: Who was the nicest of the nice guys in all of sports?

One could make good arguments for the following in baseball:

Yogi Berra

Lou Gehrig

Cal Ripken Jr.

Babe Ruth (yes, he had his sins, but people loved him)

Stan Musial

Ernie Banks

Tony Gwynn

Kirby Puckett (despite his marital problems)

Add Christy Mathewson.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Well, being from Philadelphia I'd want to say Chris Chelios...but alas too many people like him. Lindros comes to mind for any number of reasons, his personality is not one of them.

For hockey, if you really wanted to look into the past, you could probably put a good argument in for Eddie Shore. Granted the guy was an attraction in his own right, but as for likeable and the type of person you wanted to be around he certainly was not. Players had it in their contracts that they couldn't be sent to Springfield when he was the owner of the team there.

He once traded one of his defenseman for a net...

JerseyDatabase.com - I'm that guy...

Archived