Least popular star of all-time?

Steel Certain

I know Rocker became disliked after his comments. Again... Was he always "Hated" by fans and team mates? I haven't heard a peep regarding him until "BOOM!!" he made all of those comments.

John Rocker, before he made those comments, was well on his way to becoming one of the more popular Braves with Smoltz, Glavine, Chipper, Andruw, David Justice, Steve Avery, etc. before he made those comments. Afterwards, only the ignorant supported him. It's really odd that both his career and his skills took a downward spiral after he decided to rip on the biggest media market in the U.S.

Wasn't John Rocker one of the best postseason closers in history? In making him a villain over some idiotic opinions, people forgot that the guy was pretty good.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know Rocker became disliked after his comments. Again... Was he always "Hated" by fans and team mates? I haven't heard a peep regarding him until "BOOM!!" he made all of those comments.

John Rocker, before he made those comments, was well on his way to becoming one of the more popular Braves with Smoltz, Glavine, Chipper, Andruw, David Justice, Steve Avery, etc. before he made those comments. Afterwards, only the ignorant supported him. It's really odd that both his career and his skills took a downward spiral after he decided to rip on the biggest media market in the U.S.

Wasn't John Rocker one of the best postseason closers in history? In making him a villain over some idiotic opinions, people forgot that the guy was pretty good.

Yeah, if the Braves got a lead in the postseason going into the 8th, that game was already over because Rocker was going to come in and shut it down. I know as a kid I figured that Rocker was going to be our answer to Mariano.

It also helped that even before he opened his mouth, Rocker was the most hated by Mets fans, and when you can eclipse Chipper Jones in hatred by Mets fans, you've GOTTA be good.

John Rocker is a great mention for sure...his 2nd season in the majors was amazing...total flamethrower (and solid for much of his 6 year career). Hated...not by peers, certainly not in Atlanta or Texas. Heck, if you multiplied his first four years over a 16-year career, you'd have a guy with 440 lifetime saves and a sub-3.00 ERA. However, Rocker is in no way a candidate for the HOF...I think you'd all agree there (http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/rockejo01.shtml).

For "Most Hated/Most Talented"...I have to go to golf. Arnold Palmer was LOVED...blue color and kicked butt. His rival was Nicklaus and for good reason. Back then, Jack Nicklaus was known as "Fat Jack", a pompous insurance salesman who was not until much later popular (for the record books, not his demeanor). I'm a Palmer guy...can't stand the pompous, self-loving Nicklaus.

Thus...I have to say...in terms of the All Time Most Talented/Most Hated list...

1) Barry Bonds (hated by teamates, fans, press, rivals)

2) Jack Nicklaus (hated by fans/later loved for records)

3) Terrell Owens (hated in Philadelphia...more than death and taxes combined)

4) John Rocker (hated in NYC BIG TIME)

5) Ty Cobb (hated by rivals)

6) Kobe Bryant (hated by women not named "Mrs Bryant")

Honorable mention:

1) Alex Rodriguez (because of his salary, lack of team loyalty and infidelity)

2) Roger Maris (now loved, then hated because he took the spotlight from Micky Mantle in taking Babe Ruth's HR record)

SB40terribletowel.jpg6220steelers.jpglicense_thum.jpg

Archived