Melbourne Demons AFL

rmered

Melbourne Football Club, known also as the Demons are backing away from the Demons nickname due to their marketing push into China.

(Demons are apparently bad to Chinese)

The new club logo looks like this:

MELBOURNEfc-Logo.jpg

And, to celebrate the 150th year of the club, a special logo has been made which will feature on merchandise and on the club's official jumpers.

150-logo.jpg

The jumpers will now look like this:

Melb2008.gif

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

I'm sure the fans are square behind the "ditching our team name so we can sell merch in China" movement.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The lower case 'e' was really unnecessary. The anniversary logo does look odd on the jumper. A smiple '150' would have looked better. The angle of the "V" on the jumper appears different than the one on the logo.

David-Neitz-150-Logo.jpg

I thought Melbourne should have had the "Demon" from their previous logo on it's own without the flaming 'M' above it.

MelbourneFC.jpg

I saw, I came, I left.

The lower case 'e' was really unnecessary. The anniversary logo does look odd on the jumper. A smiple '150' would have looked better. The angle of the "V" on the jumper appears different than the one on the logo.

David-Neitz-150-Logo.jpg

I thought Melbourne should have had the "Demon" from their previous logo on it's own without the flaming 'M' above it.

MelbourneFC.jpg

Apparently the Demon was what the Chinese didn't like.

But yes, it looks like Primary & Secondary logos banged together.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

While I didn't feel that the demon featured in the old logo was particularly well-designed, I think that dumping your team's nickname to appease potential fans in a foreign market is idiotic.

Downgrade.

Imagine Man United dropping the Red Devils just to sell shirts in China!

Honorable Red Dragons of Manchester United.

ManUDragons.gif

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

China schmina, they're still the Dees to me.

Their supporters are generally stereotyped as the Private school toffs who only watch them until snow season (about Round 8 of a 22 week season), which happily corresponds with how long into the season the team looks like they'll acheive anything.

And they call them "the Dees."

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

As a melbourne supporter I like the new image. As Paul Gardner (club president) has already said it has nothing to do with China and pleasing the people, it is more of the image that "We Are Melbourne", and the basis of that I feel is very positive. The demon logo will still be used in juniors merchandise, so it has not been dropped altogether, yet.

artest.jpg

As a melbourne supporter I like the new image. As Paul Gardner (club president) has already said it has nothing to do with China and pleasing the people, it is more of the image that "We Are Melbourne", and the basis of that I feel is very positive. The demon logo will still be used in juniors merchandise, so it has not been dropped altogether, yet.

The he was either telling porkys to the journo who reported it when they were in China recently, or when they announced it.

Because he was quoted as saying they were changing it because of the negative feedbak they got to the logo in China.

I looked for the article and can't find it, but I know he said it.

Also, I know people at the club and they think the logo was changed to suit the marketing push as well.

I just wish these people would have the courage of their convictions to make a decision and if it seems unpopular, fight for the reasons they made the decision in the first place, not back away from it and make like they never had anything to do with it.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

The he was either telling porkys to the journo who reported it when they were in China recently, or when they announced it.

Because he was quoted as saying they were changing it because of the negative feedbak they got to the logo in China.

I'm afraid that you'll need to substantiate that claim. Love to see it (smacks of the same crassness that the Devil Rays had when they claimed the word "Devil" was keeping area fans away from the stadium in droves).

Not a huge fan of the logo (although I do like the wordmark). Having the same "point" twice in succession, especially when they're not exact, seems wrong design-wise.

Why not raise the patch an inch or so, overlaying the red to make it "complete" the point?

I'm afraid that you'll need to substantiate that claim. Love to see it (smacks of the same crassness that the Devil Rays had when they claimed the word "Devil" was keeping area fans away from the stadium in droves).

Not a huge fan of the logo (although I do like the wordmark). Having the same "point" twice in succession, especially when they're not exact, seems wrong design-wise.

Why not raise the patch an inch or so, overlaying the red to make it "complete" the point?

They wouldn't work overlayed, because the triangle yoke in the logo is a different shape to the yoke in the jumper.

The yoke on the jumper is flatter, like a triangle that's been squashed from the top down.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Not really.

The Melbourne Tigers basketball team made some money from sponsorships with Chinese companys.

So the Melbourne Demons thought they'd have a go too.

No other AFL team is seriously entertaining expansion to China, and Essendon is the closest forming an agreement with Japanese company Yakult.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Archived