Nick Saban

DG_ThenNowForever

I thought about putting this in the college football thread, but figured this buffoon deserves his own thread

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/foot...s.ap/index.html

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) -- Alabama's latest loss has coach Nick Saban searching for ways to motivate his team.

Citing the 9-11 terrorist attacks and Pearl Harbor, Alabama coach Nick Saban said Monday his team must rebound like America did from a "catastrophic event."

In this case, that would be an embarrassing 21-14 loss Saturday to Louisiana-Monroe.

"Changes in history usually occur after some kind of catastrophic event," Saban said during the opening remarks of his weekly news conference. "It may be 9-11, which sort of changed the spirit of America relative to catastrophic events. Pearl Harbor kind of got us ready for World War II, or whatever, and that was a catastrophic event."

Alabama's just getting ready to face No. 25 Auburn, its biggest rival, on Saturday.

A Saban spokesman said the coach chose the 9-11 and Pearl Harbor references to illustrate the challenges facing his team.

"What Coach Saban said did not correlate losing a football game with tragedy; everyone needs to understand that. He was not equating losing football games to those catastrophic events," football spokesman Jeff Purington said in a statement to The Associated Press. "The message was that true spirit and unity become evident in the most difficult of times. Those were two tremendous examples that everyone can identify with."

I don't care what his spokesman said. My favorite part? "Or whatever." Classy. Way to maintain perspective.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Considering how reverently Alabamans hold football, I'm not sure if equating losing to a team that lost to North Texas with such disasters is that out of bounds for them....

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I've always said it takes a special kind of idiot to be a football coach. Saban perfectly illustrates what I mean. I've had the fortune (or misfortune) of covering football up close for the better part of 15 years. Trust me when I tell you that you always want to observe football from a distance. "Or whatever?" Welcome to the club Nick.

BB52Big.jpg

If it worked for Rudy, it can work for Nicky, too.

much like his experience with the Dolphins, he too will fail.

one thing they do have in common is that they are both decepticons. ones a political decepticon in which he deceives you in to believing he stands for something when he takes opposite(throwi n W and the rest of the decepticons that pose as R's) and the other is a sports decepticon in which he deceived fans into thinking he was this great savior for the 'fins and was going to lead them to the promise land and then bolted for 'bama. ^_^

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

NICK SABAN - HISTORY TEACHER

I don't know what was worse, comparing a loss to ULM with Pearl Harbor and 9-11, or Saban's inane use of terms like, "kind of got us ready for World War II, or whatever."

Makes me damn glad he's not at L.S.U. anymore. Does your IQ drop when you start spending time in 'Bama? :P

It is what it is.

NICK SABAN - HISTORY TEACHER

I don't know what was worse, comparing a loss to ULM with Pearl Harbor and 9-11, or Saban's inane use of terms like, "kind of of got us ready for World War II, or whatever."

Makes me damn glad he's not at L.S.U. anymore. Does your IQ drop when you start spending time in 'Bama? :P

Michigan State too.

I don't get it then. I remember reading about Pearl Harbor and the death. I was alive to see 9/11 and the death, but I don't remember hearing anything about this latest catastrophy. Does this make me un-American?

KISSwall09.jpg

I don't get it then. I remember reading about Pearl Harbor and the death. I was alive to see 9/11 and the death, but I don't remember hearing anything about this latest catastrophy. Does this make me un-American?

It most certainly does. To this day, I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I found out that Alabama lost to . . . lost to . . . wait a minute, who did they lose to again?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

It most certainly does. To this day, I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I found out that Alabama lost to . . . lost to . . . wait a minute, who did they lose to again?

Most of the teams they play.

The comments from the Alabama football media something today were just as comical, telling everybody they are just wrong in what they hear. I don't know if they collect dummies or if it's the water.

Sure I'm a Bama fan and I know I'm gonna get bashed for this, but...

...what coach hasn't used a historical refrence to illustrate a point to his team? Sure Nicky went overboard, but geez.

The only bad water is in the Auburn area by the way. ;)

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

This is getting blown out of proportion.

Poor taste. Not a big deal though.

I don't think this is getting blown out of proportion. I haven't followed the story closely, but it doesn't sound like anyone thinks he should be fired. He's just being called out for his stupidity and lack of perspective.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Nick Saban is like... a genius... or something.

. . . or whatever.

Coaches just need to realize that they are coaching a football game. They are the coach. Not the AD or school President. Behind the scenes I know coaches offer a lot more to their players as a role model. Many players really appreciate their coaches and what they do (have done) for them.

There is no need to get witty or philosophical in a post-game presser. Just say something along the lines of... "We played like crap and lost. As a coach I need to prepare my team better. It's not the end of the world, we'll correct this." They have to remember that they are not always in the locker room. Not every conversation has to be a "Locker Room" type of talk. There are too many instances where the coach tries to over-explain what happened or make these crazy-a$$ comparisons. Stick to what happened in the game.

Archived