Billick: Ravens Will Protest Reversed Call

Burning River

Ravens to Protest

My question is "What is he Protesting?" Does he think they used reply by some method? Are they protesting that the call was reversed? If you watch ANY reply... only one official (righ hand of screen) with uncertainty waved "No Good". The other Official went to talk to him RIGHT AWAY. They never declared the "Game Over". So, to me the fact that the Ravens ran to the locker room is on the Ravens themselves.

Now, if the officials looked up at the RAVENS HOME FIELD Jumbotron and realized it was "Good", we'll never know. The kick was good regardless. So, why complain? He is basically stating he would rather have the win given to him.

Boo Hoo...!! As a Browns fan, I obviously see no issues here. As an Football fan, I honestly see no issues here. Again, the refs at the goal-posts were in discussion IMMEDIATELY.

Why won't the rules have it allowed to replay? It only changed the incorrect to correct outcome of the game. Are they worried about reviewing it going over the upright and making it a judgement call?

KISSwall09.jpg

In fairness to The Ravens, it sure as hell seemed like someone watched some video before that call was reversed. Yes they got the call right but if they used video to do it then they broke the rules. I am a Browns fan and I'll take the win but I can understand why Billick is protesting.

Hedley has it right. The officials were standing under the crossbar. According to the "official" story, they both watched the same kick and saw different results. If that isn't an argument for allowing a review then I don't know what is.

BB52Big.jpg

I guess I don't agree with the term "Reversed Call". It was a split call from the very beginning. One of the officials waved an uncertain "No Good". The other did nothing but walk over to talk. They were talking right away. Maybe the other should've signaled "Good" to let everyone know that there was an issue. I guess to ask "What were the officials watching?" is valid, but this never happened before. Being right under that bar with that type of kick is probably the worst place to be, I feel.

It irks me that the Ravens are acting like the kick was called "NO Good, The Game is over." Then 10 minutes later, someone ran to the locker room to drag them out to play O/T. The discussion started immediately. They tried the: "Lets get the h*ll outta there, quick!!" approach.

So the Ravens are going to piss $25K (or whatever the protest fee is nowadays) down a well? Okay...

Fact is that game officials can use whatever tools are at their disposal to make any call, on any play of a game. "Not Reviewable" relates to the use of challenge flags, and reviews initiated by the official in the pressbox area. There's absolutely nothing in the NFL rule book prohibiting an official from using it, from asking his colleagues, fans in the stands, or calling his brother in Schenectady for that matter.

nav-logo.png

I guess to ask "What were the officials watching?" is valid, but this never happened before. Being right under that bar with that type of kick is probably the worst place to be, I feel.

How can it be the worst spot?

Ideally, the two refs stand directly under the corners of the goalposts. If it crosses over the crossbar, the kick is successful. Anything else, and it's not.

The crossbar is 10 feet off the ground, which for most officials is a mere 4 feet above them.

Simply put, the officials were caught daydreaming (for lack of a better word) and assumed the kick was unsuccessful once it hit the post. They gave up on the play before it finished. Luckily, the right call was eventually made.

I know they got the call right, but the refs handled it the wrong way. If there was any confusion, then don't make a call. They signaled no good, the players shook hands, and went to the locker room. They should have said they didn't know what the official rule is and will check. Also it is unreviewable, so they aren't allowed to go the the booth and look at it (the one announcer said he saw the ref take a look). I don't think the Ravens should get a win, but I do think the refs should be fined or suspended.

"They" did not make a call. One guy said "No Good" the other started a conversation immediately. There was no "Official" announcement. The Ravens left the field, the Browns argued the call.

I guess that's why there are 2 guys under the crossbar... for cases like this. There was a disagreement, a discussion... and a correct call. To suspend the refs for that would be insane.

Watch the refs in the video. Plus look how soon after the play the head official was looking to resolve the issue. Maybe a minute after. (Not the edited part where the call is made)

Dawsons Kick

so what would they do if they do reversed the call, replay the game. its over and down with move on.
If they were to uphold the appeal, I'd assume Baltimore would win 30-27, and no overtime stats would count for either team.

No NFL game will ever have the score changed once the game is over. Too much gambling money involved.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

"They" did not make a call. One guy said "No Good" the other started a conversation immediately. There was no "Official" announcement. The Ravens left the field, the Browns argued the call.

I guess that's why there are 2 guys under the crossbar... for cases like this. There was a disagreement, a discussion... and a correct call. To suspend the refs for that would be insane.

Watch the refs in the video. Plus look how soon after the play the head official was looking to resolve the issue. Maybe a minute after. (Not the edited part where the call is made)

Dawsons Kick

lmao @ Matt Stover getting "interrupted" during his "victory" interview.

Dawsons Kick

lmao @ Matt Stover getting "interrupted" during his "victory" interview.

Now that's funny :lol:

I saw, I came, I left.

As a fan of neither team...I see where the Ravens are coming from, but I am not going to view them as sympathetic characters. They are upset at the process and essentially asking the league to go back to the incorrect call. They should feel less cheated than Cleveland would have had the wrong call stuck.

Two other points:

1. Whether or not a FG is good should be reviewable. Three points, whether or not at the end of a game, is important. Something like this is exactly why replay exists (or should be)

2. (I know I am in the minority), glossed over is the importance of the OT coin flip.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

so what would they do if they do reversed the call, replay the game. its over and down with move on.
If they were to uphold the appeal, I'd assume Baltimore would win 30-27, and no overtime stats would count for either team.

Actually Roger Goodell would have a variety of options, but one of them (and the one I think he'd pick) is to uphold a protest, but leave the result intact.

nav-logo.png

As a fan of neither team...I see where the Ravens are coming from, but I am not going to view them as sympathetic characters. They are upset at the process and essentially asking the league to go back to the incorrect call. They should feel less cheated than Cleveland would have had the wrong call stuck.

Two other points:

1. Whether or not a FG is good should be reviewable. Three points, whether or not at the end of a game, is important. Something like this is exactly why replay exists (or should be)

2. (I know I am in the minority), glossed over is the importance of the OT coin flip.

... I wonder if coin flips should be reviewed as well? ... :oops:

I saw, I came, I left.

Dawsons Kick

I watched the game. That video is edited isn't doesn't show the exact series of events. The refs waited a long time to announce that the rule was going to be checked. The TV commentators thought the game was over, and most of the fans were leaving the stadium. The refs definitely gave the impression that the game was over. They should have made an announcement immediately or at least when they saw the Ravens were heading for the locker room. I have no problem with the call and I expect or demand that the result of the game be changed or replayed. But you can't let a team head to the locker room thinking they have a win. You can't tell me that didn't put them at a disadvantage coming back out for overtime.

Archived