CONCACAF Champions League Announced

Fred T. Jane

I just posted this on the World Soccer Daily boards...

According to Steven Goff, CONCACAF has finalised plans for the CONCACAF Champions League, which will debut in late summer 2008 and run through Spring 2009. The Champions League, which will replace the Champions Cup, which takes place in March-April 2008, will mirror the UEFA Champions League in Qualifying, Group Stages, and Knockout Rounds culminating in a single match Final.

For this year's Champions Cup, the teams are...

DC United (Supporters Shield Winner)

Houston Dynamo (MLS Cup Winner)

For the Champions League, the teams are...

Group Stage:

DC United (Supporters Shield Winner)

Houston Dynamo (MLS Cup Winner)

Qualifying Round:

New England Revolution (MLS Cup runners-up)

Chivas USA (Supporters Shield runners-up)

CONCACAF hasn't formally announced it yet... at least on their website, but considering what MLS is getting as well as the fact that there will be 4 4-team groups, I expect the berths to go as follows:

MLS: 2 Automatic berths, 2 Qualifying Round berths

FMF: 2 Automatic berths, 2 Qualifying Round berths

Costa Rica: 1 Automatic berth, 2 Qualifying Round berths

Honduras: 1 Automatic berth, 2 Qualifying Round berths

Central American nations: 1-2 Qualifying Round berths each

Caribbean nations: 1-2 Qualifying Round berths divvied up via mini-tournaments

With that said, how long until the USSF gives the 4th spot to the US Open Cup winner, as well as what happens to Canada?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

... as well as what happens to Canada?

If Canada had its own top-flight professional soccer league, we might be raising a fuss. But considering that Toronto FC is in MLS, that MLS is basically considered top-flight club soccer in both countries, and that the Canadian Soccer Association is in such disarray at the moment, I don't think we can have any complaints.

I'm not 100% sure on this but I think those for bids go to the USSF which in turn goes to MLS. So that means Toronto is still out.

I'm almost positive that Toronto FC would get in if they're in the Top 4 (Which is what basically will happen with the way the slots are handed out).

Something else I was wondering is since Toronto FC isn't eligible to play in the US Open Cup, does Canada have a Canadian FA Cup for them to compete in?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Something else I was wondering is since Toronto FC isn't eligible to play in the US Open Cup, does Canada have a Canadian FA Cup for them to compete in?

Nope. I don't think we have enough professional or semi-professional teams to make it viable. And seriously, with the mess the CSA is in right now, we're lucky we can even field a men's national team.

The situation with Toronto is similiar to that of the Welsh teams who play in the English football system.

Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham are Welsh teams, but for the simple reason that the English leagues are much more competitive (Wales didn't have it's own premier division until friggin 1992), they have played there for upwards of 80 years. For the past 10 years, they have been told that to qualify for the UEFA Champions League/UEFA Cup, they must do so through the English system (which means they won't be playing European football anytime soon), despite having been able to qualify into Europe through Welsh competitions until 1995.

If Toronto wanted to get into this, which by the way, is a fantastic idea and I hope it happens, I expect they will have to win the MLS/Supporters Cup/US Open Cup to go through. I think this is exactly the competition that CONCACAF needs to get it's teams taken more seriously on an international stage. If they quality opposition often enough, and the games are of a higher quality (I'm not saying they aren't already however), then it might persuade more players to depart Europe and head over there.

"Sorry, your signature is too long..."

They dropped that hint at the Supporters Summit during MLS Cup weekend. I'm excited for this to happen.

Does this mean that SuperLiga will be done away with as well?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded |Β Behance portfolio

Β 

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I doubt it, since SuperLiga is a made-for-TV venture by Telefutura.

Nope. I don't think we have enough professional or semi-professional teams to make it viable. And seriously, with the mess the CSA is in right now, we're lucky we can even field a men's national team.

That mess trickles down in a big, big way. Remind me to tell you sometime about why Winnipeg doesn't have a team in USL.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I doubt it, since SuperLiga is a made-for-TV venture by Telefutura.

Damn. I was hoping that would die a quick death, especially for that reason.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded |Β Behance portfolio

Β 

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Rumour has it there will be a "Canada Cup" of sorts this year between the Montreal Impact, Vancouver Whitecaps and Toronto FC. Perhaps the winner of that would get a spot.

1zqy8ok.gif

I was gonna say something about how maybe...just maybe...the Revolution would get in based on their US Open Cup Championship this year, but hey, I'll take any which way they can get in. They were completely shut out from SuperLiga this year even though they were MLS Cup runners-up in '06, which is still puzzling to me.

Anywho, I would like to see Canada get some sort of first-tier league so there would be more clubs involved, like the UEFA Champions League.

Oh, and Michel Platini can go suck an egg...

That mess trickles down in a big, big way. Remind me to tell you sometime about why Winnipeg doesn't have a team in USL.

Was it because it moved to Phoenix? </ducks>

If this were Texas, I'd have shot you by now.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived