Shea Stadium Commemorative Logo

meetthemets

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, at least it's a very nice logo, nothing gaudy and overdone.

Wow I never actually saw the outside of Shea. When did they paint it blue? Its such a dramatic color for a stadium.

I think it was the early 1980s. And they added the giant neon players around that time, too.

It's very ... blue. Took some getting used to. But it was bare concrete before. I think it looks better than what they did to the new Comiskey/U.S. Cellualr, which is a flat black that has faded to more of a dark gray after being bight white.

Well, how does that explain this picture.

sheamain.jpg

As a matter of fact, why the hell did the Jets have to move from there in 1983!? Shea was huge!

I agree!!! The Jets deserve their own stadium in Queens, NOT in East Rustyford, New Jersey!!!!

C'mon Woody Johnson......time to move the Jets back to NYC.......Gang Green has overstayed their welcome in the swamps of Jersey!!!!!

www.newyorkjset.com

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

Well, how does that explain this picture.

sheamain.jpg

As a matter of fact, why the hell did the Jets have to move from there in 1983!? Shea was huge!

That's a mock-up someone did; it's not a picture of an actual Jets game at Shea. You can tell by the scoreboard (plus the way the grass looks in center field). That version of the Bud ad was there pretty recently, well after the Jets left. And it looks like the KeySpan sign next to the Diamondvision is there, which is another recent addition.

In fact, it looks like this is the original:

sheast70.jpg

EDIT: Here's what the 2004 Mets Media Guide (Shea's 40th Anniversary) says:

1980: The orange and blue steel panels were removed from the exterior of the stadium and large blue wind shield panels were installed.

1985-1987: The entire outside of the stadium was painted "Mets blue" and neon outlines of baseball players were placed on each of the six panels.

I grew up in this ballpark, I'm gonna miss it.

The Mets new ballpark, while stunning in design, and much better looking than the old lady that served as their home for 44 years when all is said and done, cannot possibly equal the feelings I'll always have for Shea.

The new park is a re-do on the exterior of Ebbets Field.

That of course makes lots of sense, since the Mets have a connection with the Brooklyn Dodgers...now if you can tell me what it is, outside of also being another National League team based in New York - and owner Fred Wilpon's team of his youth, I'd be happy to learn.

Do the Mets go out and build their own tradition?

NO!

Why do that?

Lets play in a park that used to look like the Dodgers park in Brooklyn.

What Wilpon should have done, but he's too narrow minded, is he should have actually built this park in the Borough of Brooklyn, re-named them the "Brooklyn Mets"...then the stadium looking as it is going to would have looked appropriate.

The Brooklyn Mets?

I smell a concept for someone out there!

I grew up in this ballpark, I'm gonna miss it.

The Mets new ballpark, while stunning in design, and much better looking than the old lady that served as their home for 44 years when all is said and done, cannot possibly equal the feelings I'll always have for Shea.

The new park is a re-do on the exterior of Ebbets Field.

That of course makes lots of sense, since the Mets have a connection with the Brooklyn Dodgers...now if you can tell me what it is, outside of also being another National League team based in New York - and owner Fred Wilpon's team of his youth, I'd be happy to learn.

Do the Mets go out and build their own tradition?

NO!

Why do that?

Lets play in a park that used to look like the Dodgers park in Brooklyn.

What Wilpon should have done, but he's too narrow minded, is he should have actually built this park in the Borough of Brooklyn, re-named them the "Brooklyn Mets"...then the stadium looking as it is going to would have looked appropriate.

The Brooklyn Mets?

I smell a concept for someone out there!

The only thing that is based on Ebbets Field is the front rotunda. Everything else is completely different. I'm sure you'll get over your feelings for Shea the mnute you step into the new park. While I have fond memories of going there with my Grandfather, I can't say the stadium itself holds a real special place in my heart.

I've said it for years...Shea Stadium was one of the worst places to see a game in all of baseball. I've been there many many times and hated every minute of it.

I'll be nothing short of giddy when I get a chance to sit down and watch a game at Citi Park.

I've said it for years...Shea Stadium was one of the worst places to see a game in all of baseball. I've been there many many times and hated every minute of it.

I'll be nothing short of giddy when I get a chance to sit down and watch a game at Citi Park.

Saying the word 'giddy' with reference to New York sports is liable to get your ass kicked at Citi Park, sonny.

nav-logo.png

Funny, I have the opposite reaction to it. It's a dump, in the middle of nowhere, everything except the seating area is substandard and threadbare, the "extras" are laughable at best (what's with the papier-mâché apple coming out of the top hat? A thousand theatres in this city could create a better set), but there are very few better places to watch a ballgame. Not a bad seat in the house - even the nosebleeds have a great view of the field.

I won't miss it, but I hope CitiField has the same sightlines.

Archived