The "N" on the Jayhawk

Brick

The last few weeks I keep seeing the letter "N" on the um, crotch of the Jayhawk. I thought it was something new and stood for Dr. James Naismith, the inventor of basketball. But looking here it seems the "N" has been there since 1966. And the "N" looks backward if the Jayhawk is facing left.

It's probably just a coincidence and not done deliberately, but I thought I'd just point it out anyway.

Kansas being referred to as KU is in line with most of the former schools of the Big 8. OU, NU, CU, and KU all represent abbreviations of "University of xxx". I'm not sure why it's like that , but it is.

Mizzou also goes by MU even though they are officially the University of Missouri which would actually be UM, but, agian, the former Big 8 schools...

Don't know about the N, but can you explain why the University of Kansas (UK) insists on calling itself KU?

Likely to avoid confusion with the University of Kentucky, which tends to use the UK monogram.

There's also a (probably apocryphal) story that someone got confused and thought the Jayhawks actually represented the United Kingdom. (The school colors are, after all, mighty similar to those of the Union Jack.)

Kansas being referred to as KU is in line with most of the former schools of the Big 8. OU, NU, CU, and KU all represent abbreviations of "University of xxx". I'm not sure why it's like that , but it is.

Most people in Nebraska refer to the University as UNL, while NU is also acceptable. Outside the state, NU is popularly used.

See this is why Florida should join the Big 12 ;)

See this is why Florida should join the Big 12 ;)

HA! I think you just created a way to get around censorship.

"Yeah, well 'Florida should join the Big 12!.'"

:D

(I'm retarded):down:

The Jayhawk has always worn shoes since its first incarnation in the 1920's. The original designers plan was to have the shoes on to "kick the Missouri Tigers where it counts"

Of course we didn't exactly do that in Kansas City last Saturday, but I'm still a fan.

As for the N, I've been a Kansan all my life and haven't heard that one.

Archived