Dolphins-Steelers

rainmaker17

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gillette Stadium was never that bad, and the league forced them to get Field Turf. Pittsburgh and Tennessee have been reknowned for the having worst fields in the league, and I am very surprised that neither has made the switch.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

If you tuned in during the delay (or, I'm sure, watch the hi-lites on SportsCenter), you would have seen (or will see) the grounds crew trying to stripe the field through ankle deep water, and just giving up...

Moose

missed all that. Didn't hear the explanation until after I posted.

newsig.jpg

they should keep it grass. its football, your supposed to play in any conditions. i've played on field turf for the first time last week and i hate it, epically the little rubbers getting in your shoes.

But (poor English aside), the game was torn up at the beginning. Four or five high school games on Friday plus a college game on Saturday leaves the field nothing more than marshland on Monday night.

It's one thing for teams to play in poor field conditions, but the field has always been crappy at best, and then after being torn up and flooded, it was very dangerous to play on.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

they should keep it grass. its football, your supposed to play in any conditions. i've played on field turf for the first time last week and i hate it, epically the little rubbers getting in your shoes.

True, but in today's NFL, where so much money and time is invested in the development and maintenance of talent (albeit in Miami's case, not so much), playing on a field in that poor of a condition is simply bad business practice.

nav-logo.png

True, but in today's NFL, where so much money and time is invested in the development and maintenance of talent (albeit in Miami's case, not so much), playing on a field in that poor of a condition is simply bad business practice.

Plus, it ruined my fantasy teams!!! It would have been somewhat entertaining if I had not been looking for a lot scoring. Get the Field turf.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

Football should be played on grass. Fieldturf should be relegated to domes.

If they decided not to be lazy and actually take the bottom layer off the field first before putting the new sod on top, they would have saved themselves a headache and alot of money.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

The current field is a hybrid of sorts. It's called DD GrassMaster, which is a combination of Kentucky bluegrasses reinforced with polypropylene fibers.

It's been reported by the post gazette all week that the steelers are looking into probably getting a new surface. they even sent guys to take a look at wvu's playing surface recently. Covering the old grass with new is just a temporary fix for the last 3 home games of the season. I think there will be a change during the offseason, Pitt uses the same field and they have complained about it for awhile now as well. This game was in the spotlight so it might be the last straw indeed.

The key with any artificial surface is what's underneath it. AstroTurf would've been okay back in the 70's and 80's had they made a point of putting enough padding underneath it. As it was they put less than an inch underneath, usually overtop a slab of concrete... which might have something to do with guys like Earl Campbell needing a walker nowadays.

nav-logo.png

I used to agree with: "This is Football!". After seeing that though, it was ridiculous. It's different compared to a field "getting muddy" as the game wears on. That was a botched job from the get go. I thought the Pitt Panthers really got the worst of it by playing Saturday after the High School Games on Friday. Then seeing last night, I was like "Wow, this is the best an NFL team can do!?" They say time was an issue with removing the old field, that's why they plopped sod over it. Heck, the field WAS covered too prior to the game. Pittsburgh has ALWAYS had problems with a solid grass surface. So, yeah... it's time to get the same stuff similar to the Patriots, Jets/Giants, Seahawks. I like the surface that you can re-paint. I don't like how Cincinnati and Buffalo look, having sewn in markings.

I aree, it's a different game now. With Millions invested in players and Mega millions invested in Stadiums. You can't expect to play on the surface of two layers of muddy grass/sod and sitting water. Man, how great would it have been if the Steelers lost that game? Do they blame the field?

Archived