Dolphins-Steelers

rainmaker17

When someone dies in a game like last nights, all you morons will be crying for Field Turf to be implemented for all stadiums. I don't like turf very much either, but damnit I don't want random NFL players dying because football traditionalists are being morons.

Knock it off.

There's no call for personal attacks, and they only diminish the point you're trying to make by making it appear you lack any substantive argument.

Dude what's your problem? I wasn't attacking anyone! I happen to like you as a poster, and then you give me this.

WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN TO ME AUGHhhHhhh :mad:

bSLCtu2.png

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are there so many people who want to sanitize the game of football? Muddy uniforms and snowy fields is how football is supposed to be on ALL levels of play, from pop warner to the NFL.

Football is really the only sport in this country that tests your abilities in all enviroments, from sunny Florida to snowy Lambeau.

To take that away and make everything the same everywhere makes the game sterile and boring.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Have you guys ever played on field turf in the rain? Rug burn, rug burn, rug burn, rug burn. Seriously i can see where you coming from bucfan and that was a great post. Playing in the mud and rain is some of the best memories i have from playing football. Sure it isnt as professional. But its what makes football, football. Football is one of the most violent, dirtiest sports to begin with. And with poor weather conditions you can see what happens the miami dolphins almost upset a playoff team. In football games weather is commonly a great equalizer. Any given sunday. If its pooring rain on sunday it can make any team play even harder to overcome the weather conditions. Yes, players are investments and you want to protect them but this also is the SPORT OF AMERICAN FOOTBALL. Grass is what the game was meant to be played on.

My former high school here in Pittsburgh just got a FieldTurf field (Which I designed by the way :D ). The thing that all the players complain about is the little rubber black things that I guess simulate dirt. They get in the equipment and eyes of the players and just overall make a big mess. I walked on the field before the stadium was reopened, and just walking across it got the rubber things in my shoes. It was very annoying.

Have you guys ever played on field turf in the rain? Rug burn, rug burn, rug burn, rug burn. Seriously i can see where you coming from bucfan and that was a great post. Playing in the mud and rain is some of the best memories i have from playing football. Sure it isnt as professional. But its what makes football, football. Football is one of the most violent, dirtiest sports to begin with. And with poor weather conditions you can see what happens the miami dolphins almost upset a playoff team. In football games weather is commonly a great equalizer. Any given sunday. If its pooring rain on sunday it can make any team play even harder to overcome the weather conditions. Yes, players are investments and you want to protect them but this also is the SPORT OF AMERICAN FOOTBALL. Grass is what the game was meant to be played on.

Au contraire...the NFL is professional football.

As a result, it must make a professional presentation in all aspects, including playing surface. Mud and rain is yet another thing glorified by their propaganda department marketing team that they no longer actually support.

But hey....rug burns can be the modern "battle scar" that you so desire. :P

I suggest you devote your time to the local semi-pro team, they play the game that you want to see. The NFL doesn't, and hasn't for some time.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Every part of the game of football has evolved over time. Padding has increased, helmets are safer now, rules are more strict to protect unnecessary injury. If the game itself can evolve over time, why not the surface it's played on? Is it really that blasphemous to update the playing field to make sure the refs don't need rowboats to do their job? I understand the "tradition" argument, but I don't see how switching the field to a more consistent surface is going to drastically reduce the influence of weather on games.

On a purely financial level, games like the Dolphins-Steelers game would cripple the NFL over time if it became a consistent event. Where a game such as this may be a die-hard fans dream, the casual fan would be channel surfing within 10 minutes. I don't believe the core fan base can sustain the NFL in its current form, there has to be something for the intermediate or casual fan. I know some serious fans may scoff at those of lesser dedication or knowledge, but they buy their tickets, their jerseys, they're part of the revenue stream for the NFL. There have to be games of all kinds, the defensive struggles to the offensive shootouts, a domination by either kind can alienate a portion of the viewing audience.

Just my 2 cents, I apologize if I'm way off on anything I've said.

...On a purely financial level, games like the Dolphins-Steelers game would cripple the NFL over time if it became a consistent event. Where a game such as this may be a die-hard fans dream, the casual fan would be channel surfing within 10 minutes.

Wouldn't both the casual fan and die-hard be channel surfing had the game been played in good conditions and the Steelers winning 30-3. The great thing about this variable is that it almost always guarantees a close game.

...On a purely financial level, games like the Dolphins-Steelers game would cripple the NFL over time if it became a consistent event. Where a game such as this may be a die-hard fans dream, the casual fan would be channel surfing within 10 minutes.

Wouldn't both the casual fan and die-hard be channel surfing had the game been played in good conditions and the Steelers winning 30-3. The great thing about this variable is that it almost always guarantees a close game.

But while the game is close, it sucks. Anyway, I remember reading something about being able to just screen the lines on the field with a computer in SI, so this little fiasco will go the way of itchy leather helmets and wool jerseys in a couple years.

But while the game is close, it sucks. Anyway, I remember reading something about being able to just screen the lines on the field with a computer in SI, so this little fiasco will go the way of itchy leather helmets and wool jerseys in a couple years.

Off topic and sorry but man, you like some bad baseball teams there! Orioles? Pirates? Rays? Nats? Mariners? Its like a buffet of suck!

Off topic and sorry but man, you like some bad baseball teams there! Orioles? Pirates? Rays? Nats? Mariners? Its like a buffet of suck!

I'm only a Nats and O's fan. I just like the D-Rays first look(they're my team of destiny in ASB 2000, and the thing about the gradient), the 70's Pirates look(pillbox hats, yellow jerseys, and black sans-a-belts=awesome IMO), and the Mariners teal jersey.

FieldTurf is a great invention, it makes the gameplay fairly consistant DESPITE the weather

That's a great reason to oppose it.

It's why I'm against it.

let's face it, football is a (mostly) winter sport, and sometimes in winter it rains, and sometimes it snows.

Sometimes, it's 90 degrees in the shade.

So what, they got a bit of rain and the ground was muddy.

It was a cause to celebrate the athlete's ability to play in all conditions, not dumb down the conditions artificially to make it supposedly fairer to all.

I loved a bit of hard nosed run it up the guts football for a change.

This was a one-off, not the norm, and as stated by someone who was there, it was the most rain in the area in memory.

And as a one-off, it was great. And it will always be a one-off, because all the moons need to align for this to happen regularly.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

FieldTurf is a great invention, it makes the gameplay fairly consistant DESPITE the weather

That's a great reason to oppose it.

It's why I'm against it.

let's face it, football is a (mostly) winter sport, and sometimes in winter it rains, and sometimes it snows.

Sometimes, it's 90 degrees in the shade.

So what, they got a bit of rain and the ground was muddy.

It was a cause to celebrate the athlete's ability to play in all conditions, not dumb down the conditions artificially to make it supposedly fairer to all.

I loved a bit of hard nosed run it up the guts football for a change.

This was a one-off, not the norm, and as stated by someone who was there, it was the most rain in the area in memory.

And as a one-off, it was great. And it will always be a one-off, because all the moons need to align for this to happen regularly.

Given the way our climate is shifting out of whack and how the NFL seems to be descending deeper and deeper into mediocrity, I wouldn't be surprised if them moons were going to start aligning more and more often.

Seriously...you want it? Semi pro football. Watch it. Love it. Stop complaining about field turf killing the purity of the NFL.

Although having watched that abomination in horror, I disagree that this was smashmouth football. This was grown men playing around on a giant slip and slide. And about as entertaining and good for football as such.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Wouldnt the casual fan tune into that game? WOW horrible field conditions and miami might beat the steelers? No i look for athletes overcoming the odds. If the odds are a poor field so be it.

To take a page from the Patriots fans on this board.... :P

They are all paid professionals here. They are all technically on an equal footing. There is no "overcoming the odds" in this game. It's just a horrid aborition, only the NFL marketing guys have you drinking the Kool-ade of this being a good hard core football game, or having a good story to follow.

(Look...besides the "car of juggernaut" there are no stories in the NFL this year (besides appalling mediocrity). The Dolphins will somehow manage to stave off legendary failure, and then there will be nothing to see there.)

Seriously...if you want to watch grown men on slip and slides, America's Funniest Home Videos has that AND entertaining commentary to go with it.

------------------------------------(Warning...sarcasm)

Actually, they should have kicked off at 8:00 Eastern time. So what if there's lightning in the area?! IT'S AMERICAN FOOTBALL!!!! IT'S EVEN MORE HARD CORE AND SMASH MOUTH IF SOMEBODY STOPS A LIGHTNING BOLT OUT THERE!!!!

Pansies... <_<

Today, we are all otaku.

I never realized there are so many people who think games like "The Ice Bowl" were an abomination to the sport...these must be the same folks who said "thank god" when the Vikings moved to the Metrodome.

Does anyone think we'd have a four-page thread about this game if it was played in a dome...nuff said.

And how exactly are there no stories in the NFL this year? HA thats quite funny. And you have to realize im not wanting to see these games everytime. It was one game on a sloppy field, i dont think synthetic turf is necessary after one game. I really dont think it rains everyday and i really think your just trying to piss me off rams80.

And how exactly are there no stories in the NFL this year? HA thats quite funny. And you have to realize im not wanting to see these games everytime. It was one game on a sloppy field, i dont think synthetic turf is necessary after one game. I really dont think it rains everyday and i really think your just trying to piss me off rams80. more than likely because of your rams ^_^

Archived