Dolphins-Steelers

rainmaker17

Interesting interview on PTI yesterday when Wilbon and Kornheiser interviewed Big Ben. both hosts (who have called for fieldturf at heinz field) had no comment when #7 flatly stated that both he and the team preferred to play on their "bad field". he stated they enjoyed their advantage when teams came in and could not handle the grass.

amazing how its mostly the fans who prefer field turf........

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting interview on PTI yesterday when Wilbon and Kornheiser interviewed Big Ben. both hosts (who have called for fieldturf at heinz field) had no comment when #7 flatly stated that both he and the team preferred to play on their "bad field". he stated they enjoyed their advantage when teams came in and could not handle the grass.

The Patriots said the same thing quite often before they got FieldTurf.

Stop complaining about field turf killing the purity of the NFL.

I'll make you a deal - I'll do just that, if you stop complaining that some teams still like to play on real grass, even if that means a little mud. :D

A little mud is fine. (Well maybe not for the Rams, but its acceptable)

If your field is in poorer condition than that of some underfunded school district in rural Illinois, that isn't.

Guess which one Pittsburgh is....

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I never realized there are so many people who think games like "The Ice Bowl" were an abomination to the sport...these must be the same folks who said "thank god" when the Vikings moved to the Metrodome.

Does anyone think we'd have a four-page thread about this game if it was played in a dome...nuff said.

Stop me if I'm wrong, but the only climatic problem in the Ice Bowl was that it was :censored: ing cold.

Cold isn't hazardous to a player's health...unless you're dumb enough to lick the frelling goal post. Shoot...if the field freezes, it would improve footing, right?

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I never realized there are so many people who think games like "The Ice Bowl" were an abomination to the sport...these must be the same folks who said "thank god" when the Vikings moved to the Metrodome.

Does anyone think we'd have a four-page thread about this game if it was played in a dome...nuff said.

Stop me if I'm wrong, but the only climatic problem in the Ice Bowl was that it was :censored: ing cold.

Cold isn't hazardous to a player's health...unless you're dumb enough to lick the frelling goal post. Shoot...if the field freezes, it would improve footing, right?

Well, maybe. But a frozen field can be awfully hard on your ankles and other joints, not to mention what could happen if you slam into it.

Cold, rain, mud are all part of the game. Otherwise they'd all be played indoors, air conditioned to 70 degrees.

Seriously though, I'm all for mud and nostalgia as much as the next football fan....but in this day and age there is absoutely no excuse for a football field in horrendous condition like the one in Pittsburgh. Period.

The game of football has greatly evolved since the days of playing in a mud pile with leather helmets. You may or may not like all of the changes, but the game is much better today than it has ever been. If it weren't, then it wouldn't have surpassed baseball as the national past time.

I'll make you a deal - I'll do just that, if you stop complaining that some teams still like to play on real grass, even if that means a little mud. :D

If your field is in poorer condition than that of some underfunded school district in rural Illinois, that isn't.

So that would be a "No" on my deal, then. :P

The Patriots said the same thing quite often before they got FieldTurf.

Yes, but Tom Brady was pining for FieldTurf after the Pats lost to the Jets in similar (albeit not quite as Bad as MNF) conditions last year. If the Steelers had lost to an 0-10 team because of the turf, they might not be so forgiving to the natural stuff. I personally like Baltimore's (shudder) artificial turf the best. I didn't even know it was fake until a few years ago!

I prefer real grass, and am glad that's what they have at FedExField. Having said that, if your field is shared with NCAA and/or soccer teams, then artificial turf makes more logistical sense. And I don't believe it has that great an impact on the purity of the game.

Well, maybe. But a frozen field can be awfully hard on your ankles and other joints, not to mention what could happen if you slam into it.

Cold, rain, mud are all part of the game. Otherwise they'd all be played indoors, air conditioned to 70 degrees.

So it sounds like natural astroturf. :P Oh...break out the sneakers for that game if you think its that bad. (Anybody get that reference?)

Today, we are all otaku.

Cold isn't hazardous to a player's health...

Ummm.... what? :blink:

Not as hazardous and the giant slip and slide. Wear underarmor, keep warm on the sidelines, and pay attention to what those old guys on the team said about Veterans Stadium (or the old school EJD and RCA Dome if nobody's left from then.)

Today, we are all otaku.

So that would be a "No" on my deal, then. :P

The Packers are welcome to stay on grass with open air above them. It helps ensure Favre will be confused and throw 3-4 picks whenever he has a roof over his head. :P

Today, we are all otaku.

Kinger....you got me. I went crazy with grief following the 0-8 start this year. :P

Today, we are all otaku.

Live in the past much? :P

Takes a lot of stones for a Rams fan to talk smack about Favre.

The 2001 St. Louis-Green Bay Divisional Playoff Game is one of my favorite NFL memories. I went into watching the game with a 2 Liter bottle of Mountain Dew (I was 16) and plans do drink a cup of it every time the Rams scored.

The bottle was empty by the end of the 3rd Quarter. :P

Seriously though, Favre has historically played poorly under a roof. I hope history continues to repeat itself on the 16th. :D

Today, we are all otaku.

Live in the past much? :P

Takes a lot of stones for a Rams fan to talk smack about Favre.

The 2001 St. Louis-Green Bay Divisional Playoff Game is one of my favorite NFL memories. I went into watching the game with a 2 Liter bottle of Mountain Dew (I was 16) and plans do drink a cup of it every time the Rams scored.

The bottle was empty by the end of the 3rd Quarter. :P

Funny, I do the same thing with a 1.75 of VODKA. Everytime a Bear QB goes a series without being laid out on his back I chug a cup. I hope to open that bottle this week. :D

Archived