Players in the "wrong" uniforms

Didn't make it through all the pages ... but these are the ones that came to mind for me.

Greg Maddux as a Cub...

feature%20greg%20maddux%20.jpg

Fred Taylor as a Patriot...

041211_Taylor.jpg

Mark Brunell as a Packer...

10favre_slide2.jpg

or a Jet...

mark-brunell-200.jpg

or a Redskin...

Minnesota+Vikings+v+Washington+Redskins+NlcEbyt4DgXl.jpg

or a Saint...

42302_feature.jpg

Tony Boselli as a Texan (even he looks like he didn't like it)...

sportsTEXANSboselli_t640.jpg?a6ea3ebd4438a44b86d2e9c39ecf7613005fe067

Jimmy Smith as a Cowboy...

48c52a0c0e458_68455n.jpg

and this one still doesn't look right...

steve-spurrier-south-carolina-gamecocks.jpg

fP8H4Wf.jpg

A team retiring a number is the samething as putting that player in their hall of fame.

I understand both sides of it. It's impossible to do with dynasty teams. the steelers retired only one number and that came per-dynasty era. There is no way they can retire all the HOF players' jerseys. With that being said they no longer give out certain numbers like bradshaw's 12. There hasn't been another 36 since Bettis. #86 may be another to not be handed out. They can still be handed out though. Swann and stallworth both get handed out.

So you think more respect comes from putting a guys name on a plaque than not letting anyone wear his number?

Also, forgot this one.

Torry Holt as a Jaguar...

torry-holt.jpg

Wow! The jags unis look OK on Holt. It's the super-stretchies that screw it up.

Nobody ... I mean nobody ... circles the wagons like The Buffalo Bills

Retired numbers should be done away with, more respect can be paid through induction to either Pro Football or team hall of fames.

I've heard the opposite argument: some feel that having your jersey number retired is even more significant than making the Hall of Fame. Since usually (not always), retired jersey numbers are given to those players who spent their entire career with one team and helped to bring said team one or multiple championships.

The only thing I disagree with is league-wide retirement. While I certainly understand and appreciate the impact that players like Gretzky and Robinson had on their respective leagues, I still feel only the teams those players actually played for should retire their numbers.

Retired numbers should be done away with, more respect can be paid through induction to either Pro Football or team hall of fames.

I agree. I think I would rather see some rookie QB, let's say for the 49ers, look down on his chest and say, wow, I'm wearing Joe Montana's number. It doesn't disrespect what that player did, it honors what he did. JMO.

iq5b7nF.png

It's like USC. They have the ring of honor, but still issue the numbers.

Plus, when you have more than half the numbers taken on an active roster, and them limited by position, retiring numbers is a bit problematic in the NFL.

VmWIn6B.png

On 3/19/2012 at 4:33 PM, RedSox44 said:
On 3/19/2012 at 4:31 PM, the admiral said:
On 2/25/2012 at 7:02 PM, RedSox44 said:

Omar looks weird in any jersey that's not Mariners or Indians

Oh man, those stupid circa 2006-2007 gradient undershirts. Those were awful.

Yup. They were so bad that the MLB passed a law that said that undershirts had to be all-one-color on the parts exposed or something.

For awhile, I actually liked them, mostly because I was twelve when they first debuted.

I think that pattern was the manufacturer's (Nike?) way of getting around the rule that their logo could not be shown. I suppose this was MLB's way of making sure manufacturers did not start making these designs, rendering the undershirts un-"uniform" as a Nike-sponsored teammate's pattern would greatly differ from reebok-sponsored teammate's pattern. Good idea, MLB.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Omar looks weird in any jersey that's not Mariners or Indians

45022587_dbacks_v_giants_crop_340x234.jpg

Oh man, those stupid circa 2006-2007 gradient undershirts. Those were awful.

Yup. They were so bad that the MLB passed a law that said that undershirts had to be all-one-color on the parts exposed or something.

For awhile, I actually liked them, mostly because I was twelve when they first debuted.

I think that pattern was the manufacturer's (Nike?) way of getting around the rule that their logo could not be shown. I suppose this was MLB's way of making sure manufacturers did not start making these designs, rendering the undershirts un-"uniform" as a Nike-sponsored teammate's pattern would greatly differ from reebok-sponsored teammate's pattern. Good idea, MLB.

Hmm. I heard it was because it was too distracting for batters, seeing that active of a design from a pitcher or a defender.

spacer.png

I agree. I think I would rather see some rookie QB, let's say for the 49ers, look down on his chest and say, wow, I'm wearing Joe Montana's number. It doesn't disrespect what that player did, it honors what he did. JMO.

I agree with you, hose numbers should be available to continue the greatness of them. I realize it is a different sport, but I believe Dale Earnhardt Jr said it best with this quote from scenedaily.com, ?I don?t look at the numbers tied to drivers as much as just the history of the number,? Earnhardt Jr. said Saturday at Homestead-Miami Speedway. ?The number is more of a bank that you just deposit history into."

SouthParkBaseballOriolespngsmall.png

I actually like what Michigan does, with the patch on any honored players. Like the patch for Desmond Howard on Junior Hemingway's jersey.

2IA3b.png

51662227_display_image.jpg?1307378812
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17