Players in the "wrong" uniforms

5 hours ago, 1937redskins said:

well, of course it means they changed them

http://www.nhluniforms.com/DefunctTeams/Seals.html

click on each pic in link to enlarge it

Charles O. Finley purchases the franchise

Yellow home jersey (replica) and colored skates of the Golden Seals, on display at the International Hockey Hall of Fame

Prior to the 1970–71 season, Charles O. Finley, the flamboyant owner of baseball's Oakland Athletics, purchased the Seals.[3] Finley and Roller Derby boss Jerry Seltzer had both put in a bid on the team. Although Seltzer's offer was slightly better and included a more detailed plan for revival, a majority of NHL owners from the "old establishment" voted in favor of Finley.[4] General manager Bill Torrey left by mid-season due to clashes with Finley.[5]

On October 15, 1970, with the new season already two games old, Finley announced that the team's name was being changed to California Golden Seals[6] ("Bay Area Seals" had been reported the previous week, and appears on some of that year's promotional material), following a number of other marketing gimmicks intended to sell the team to the fans, among them changing the Seals' colors to green and gold to match those of the popular A's. The team's uniform crest was now the word "Seals" in a unique typeface, but an alternate logo using a sketch based on a photo of star player Carol Vadnais was used on marketing materials such as pennants, stickers and team programs. The original 1967 California Seals logo recolored in green and gold was often seen on trading cards and other unofficial material, but was never adopted by the team. The Seals are remembered for wearing white skates, but initially Torrey convinced Finley to use green and gold painted skates instead, as team colored skates were a trend of the period.[5] However, this was all for naught, as the Seals finished with the worst record in the NHL that year. On May 22, 1970, the Seals traded their pick in the first round of the 1971 NHL Amateur Draft to the Montreal Canadiens along with François Lacombe in return for Montreal's first round pick in the 1970 Draft (Seals selected Chris Oddleifson), Ernie Hicke, and cash.[7] As a result of the Seals' dreadful season, the Canadiens had the top pick in the 1971 Draft, and used it to select future Hall of Famer Guy Lafleur. This transaction now ranks as one of the most one-sided deals in NHL history.[8]

220px-California_Golden_Seals_jersey_at_220px-Oakland_seals_jersey_at_ihhof.jpg

Thanks. The green-and-blue one is actually pretty good. That's probably about what the Canucks would look like if they had a green alt.

With the Raptors success this season, I think it's time for some Kyle Lowry.

84548342.jpg

kyle-lowry.jpg

• Like 1
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 8:11 PM, SabresRule7361 said:

James Lofton (best known for catching passes with the Packers/Bills) as an LA Raider

lofton-hof-action.jpg[/img]

Nothing wrong with that - I mean, sure, the Raiders weren't the team he was known for being on, but he was one of the fastest players in the NFL, so it was inevitable that he'd play for Al Davis at some point in time. Didn't he also briefly play for the Rams? That'd be a bit more interesting (although they too were suckers for fast WRs in the '80s - see Flipper Anderson and Henry Ellard).

justin_morneau_sound_06-09_640x360_70253

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

On 6/5/2016 at 7:40 AM, MCM0313 said:

Nothing wrong with that - I mean, sure, the Raiders weren't the team he was known for being on, but he was one of the fastest players in the NFL, so it was inevitable that he'd play for Al Davis at some point in time. Didn't he also briefly play for the Rams? That'd be a bit more interesting (although they too were suckers for fast WRs in the '80s - see Flipper Anderson and Henry Ellard).

Yes, for part of the 1993 season.

UBwef0L.png

Can we put some names to these pictures. Not a huge hockey or baseball dude but being a huge sports center watcher I'm sure I've heard of their names. I hope I'm not the only person that can't identify these pictures without names. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jgiff17 said:

Can we put some names to these pictures. Not a huge hockey or baseball dude but being a huge sports center watcher I'm sure I've heard of their names. I hope I'm not the only person that can't identify these pictures without names. 

You haven't been watching SportsCenter much recently then.