Players in the "wrong" uniforms

Ironically he didn't even play in that throwback game. That was Josh Freeman's first start as a Buc, and also our first win that season. I believe we went into that week 0-8.

Leftwich did start a few games at the beginning of that season, but each of those games were in the standard uniforms.

Dallas+Cowboys+v+Tampa+Bay+Buccaneers+0h

ClAFLDa.png

17 hours ago, chrispw12 said:

a couple wrong version

Moses Malone in that awful Sixers crayon uniform

malone.jpg

I always found it strange to see Moses in a Spurs and Bucks uniform.

920x920.jpg

gettyimages-462663863_master.jpg?itok=3Z

• Like 2

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 2/7/2017 at 8:35 PM, chrispw12 said:

a couple wrong version

Moses Malone in that awful Sixers crayon uniform

malone.jpg

Just curious, does anyone else pronounce crayon as "crown"? I do. I've gotten a lot of s for it.  I've been bullied into just quietly muttering it whenever the rare occasion happens where crayons are brought up.

I guess it's kinda low brow, but it's just always what I've called them.  Hah, low brow makes me think of: "oh yeah???" and  "come here a minute".

Hey, happy Friday guys.

• Like 2

90758391980.gif

I have a humorous story about Recchi here in Tampa...we were sizing his wife and children for new skates and he was busy on the phone listing off cities. Surely, I thought, he's discussing trade destinations with his agent, as he's a veteran player teams normally add and the Lightning were in the midst of their second dead phase. It wasn't until he got to Green Bay and Kansas City that I realized he was placing his NFL bets. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Just curious, does anyone else pronounce crayon as "crown"? I do. I've gotten a lot of s for it.  I've been bullied into just quietly muttering it whenever the rare occasion happens where crayons are brought up.

I have to admit that I have never heard of this pronunciation.

But that reminds me of an interesting lingusitic phenomenon found here in New York: the conflation of the words "drawer" and "draw".  

For people outside New York, the difference between the word "drawer" and the word "draw" is the audible R at the end of "drawer". But for us in New York, that difference is minimal, even nonexistent. Our accent makes these words sound so similar that there are many people who aren't even aware that the word "drawer" exists.  They think that the noun for the compartment in a cabinet is "draw" -- it's something that you draw, so it's a draw!  

I recently talked to a highly educated, highly literate lawyer in my office who thought that; and I admit that I thought that until late high school or perhaps early college.  I would have written "chest of draws".  This confusion is further encouraged by the existence of the noun "draw" in the context of cards, and in the phrase "luck of the draw".

(NOTE: I am aware that this diversion has nothing to do with the ostensible topic of this thread.  But, if I am going to be honest, I would say that this thread has lost all its value and can only benefit from any sort of diversion.  In all of sports history there are about a dozen players who would qualify as really being odd to see in a uniform other than the one with which they are primarily associated; and all of them were mentioned in the first couple of pages of this thread -- ten years ago!  This thread has long since degraded into a place to list any player who has ever changed teams, and then it was further devalued by the listing of players in uniform styles different from their main ones.  Oy!  So if any place is ripe for a little language-related derailing, it's this thread.  Only on account of this will a reader find something worthwhile here.)

• Like 5

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 minute ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Didn't you ever see the word "drawer" written tho?  Especially the lawyer, I'm sure drawer has appeared in case studies that they've read.  "The bloody knife was stashed in a sock in the drawer." something like that.  I'm surprised to hear all this, but it is interesting.

Yes, I am sure I did see that word, for example in a newspaper ad.  But it evidently didn't make much of an impression.  So when I finally realised that it was indeed a separate word, my reaction was more along the lines of "oh, yeah, that's right".

I am sure that a similar phenomenon took place with my lawyer friend.  He surely would have seen and understood the word; but it sort of passed under his radar, and didn't make an impact strong enough to displace the misunderstood sense of "draw".

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

44 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

I guess it's kinda low brow, but it's just always what I've called them.  Hah, low brow makes me think of: "oh yeah???" and  "come here a minute".

Hey, happy Friday guys.

Some people here in PA pronounce it like that. When I first moved here I was really taken back by it.  That and they pronounce the word "on" as "awn." 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I have to admit that I have never heard of this pronunciation.

But that reminds me of an interesting lingusitic phenomenon found here in New York: the conflation of the words "drawer" and "draw".  

For people outside New York, the difference between the word "drawer" and the word "draw" is the audible R at the end of "drawer". But for us in New York, that difference is minimal, even nonexistent. Our accent makes these words sound so similar that there are many people who aren't even aware that the word "drawer" exists.  They think that the noun for the compartment in a cabinet is "draw" -- it's something that you draw, so it's a draw!  

I recently talked to a highly educated, highly literate lawyer in my office who thought that; and I admit that I thought that until late high school or perhaps early college.  I would have written "chest of draws".  This confusion is further encouraged by the existence of the noun "draw" in the context of cards, and in the phrase "luck of the draw".

(NOTE: I am aware that this diversion has nothing to do with the ostensible topic of this thread.  But, if I am going to be honest, I would say that this thread has lost all its value and can only benefit from any sort of diversion.  In all of sports history there are about a dozen players who would qualify as really being odd to see in a uniform other than the one with which they are primarily associated; and all of them were mentioned in the first couple of pages of this thread -- ten years ago!  This thread has long since degraded into a place to list any player who has ever changed teams, and then it was further devalued by the listing of players in uniform styles different from their main ones.  Oy!  So if any place is ripe for a little language-related derailing, it's this thread.  Only on account of this will a reader find something worthwhile here.)

Same here in Jersey, I still remember how annoying it was in Elementary school (Where a lot of the teachers are from Long Island) that all the teachers would say "its in the draw"

• Like 1

AwvgSX4.png

8 hours ago, ImmortalChef said:

I feel like everyone looks bad in a Thrashers uni

Not everyone.

HeatleyandKovalchuk.jpg

Absolutely the correct uniform for both players, and a reminder of all the squandered potential of two NHL careers, one team identity, and one franchise as a whole.

Maybe it's my roots in the Alabama/Georgia border talking, but I miss these Thrashers and hope Atlanta gets a FAIR shot again some time in the future.

• Like 2

The Thrashers were one of the worst victims of the Edge switch. They looked pretty decent (albeit for a late 90s/early 2000s expansion team) and their best for the 06-07 season because they stopped using that stupid secondary logo as anything other than a shoulder patch. Then it all went to hell a season later.

• Like 2

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)