Players in the "wrong" uniforms

26 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Yeah, but can you remember a single thing he did there?

Nine seasons! I can't believe it.

He got injured a lot. He also hit his 500th and 600th home runs with the Reds. 

I remember his time with the team better than most I suspect.  

PvO6ZWJ.png

Apologies if the following has already been brought up in this thousand-page thread. As a result of the outrageous expansion of this topic beyond its few true exemplars out to the flimsy standard of "any guy who has ever been traded", as well as the parade of hockey players, all of whom are utterly unrecognisable to me regardless of uniform, I admit that my perception of the topic has become somewhat deadened.

But here is a guy who ranks alongside Namath with the Rams and Killebrew with the Royals as one of the core illustrations of this phenomenon:

20170806_073745.jpg.06114376be7a03421c540ff328cfb04b.jpg   20170806_073921.jpg.cb864e9f6fc6977d623476741a288d84.jpg

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

3 hours ago, DiePerske said:

To me, when someone says his name I think of the Reds, not the Mariners. 

Really? If you don't mind me asking, where you a teenager or older in the 90s?

Because if you were a 10-year-old buying baseball cards in 1991, there really was no bigger baseball star than Ken Griffey Jr. And when the M's changed their logo from the block S to the nautical theme, it was like a whole new franchise joined the league.

For me, living in New York, Griffey was a transcendent star who elevated an entire franchise. The Reds, on the other hand, were Pete Rose/Paul Sabo/Eric Davis.

(I'm now aging myself)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Really? If you don't mind me asking, where you a teenager or older in the 90s?

Because if you were a 10-year-old buying baseball cards in 1991, there really was no bigger baseball star than Ken Griffey Jr. And when the M's changed their logo from the block S to the nautical theme, it was like a whole new franchise joined the league.

For me, living in New York, Griffey was a transcendent star who elevated an entire franchise. The Reds, on the other hand, were Pete Rose/Paul Sabo/Eric Davis.

(I'm now aging myself)

Nope, born 92. 

So I was 7-8 when he came to the Reds, which would mark the time that I really started paying attention/able to pay attention to baseball. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Just now, DiePerske said:

Nope, born 92. 

So I was 7-8 when he came to the Reds, which would mark the time that I really started paying attention/able to pay attention to baseball. 

Yeah, that'll about do it. But I think what's most interesting about Griffey is that he was an all-time great with Seattle, and a generally decent player with Cincinnati. I'm sure there are other comparable players like that -- Gary Carter Montreal/New York, Keith Hernandez St. Louis/New York, Dennis Eckersely Boston/Oakland -- but no one I can think of with the stature of Griffey.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

15 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

But I think what's most interesting about Griffey is that he was an all-time great with Seattle, and a generally decent player with Cincinnati. I'm sure there are other comparable players like that -- Gary Carter Montreal/New York, Keith Hernandez St. Louis/New York, Dennis Eckersely Boston/Oakland -- but no one I can think of with the stature of Griffey.

If the standard is an all-time great for one team and very good for another team (as opposed to terrible for another team, as many of these late-career "wrong team" guys were), then Ty Cobb fits the bill.  After having played 22 years with Detroit, Cobb played two more with the Philadelphia A's.  His service with the A's is not long enough to allow him to be considered one of the club's all-time greats; but, still, he hit .357 and .323 for them in those years, at ages 40 and 41.

Related image

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I can think of a bunch, I'm sure a few of these have been mentioned. 

IMG_5395.JPG

Hasek as a Senator

IMG_5396.JPG

Shaq as a Celtic

IMG_5397.JPG

Hull as a Coyote

IMG_5399.JPG

Flutie as a Patriot

IMG_5400.JPG

Emmett as a Cardinal

IMG_5401.JPG

Brodeur as a Blue

IMG_5402.JPG

Tek as a Mariner

IMG_5403.JPG

Pedro as a Phillie

IMG_5404.JPG

Federov as a Blue Jacket

IMG_5405.JPG

Eddie the Eagle as a Shark

IMG_5407.JPG

Durant in Seattle

IMG_5409.JPG

Smoltz in Boston

IMG_5410.JPG

Torre managing the Dodgers

IMG_5411.JPG

Bishop as a King (lol chess)

IMG_5412.JPG

Lester witht the A's

IMG_5414.JPG

PK with the Preds

IMG_5415.JPG

Wakefield as a Pirate

Jagr with the Bruins

Clemens as an Astro

IMG_5413.JPG

Pierce and KG as Nets

IMG_5416.JPG

IMG_5417.JPG

Rizzo with Red Sox

16 minutes ago, M4One said:

Orel Hershiser with the New York (Mercury) Mets

mercurymets.png

Funny... While I've never heard of this guy, and it's apparently his "wrong" uniform, this is the image that pops into my head when I hear Mercury Mets...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 8/6/2017 at 9:51 PM, RolandProulx said:

I can think of a bunch, I'm sure a few of these have been mentioned. 

IMG_5414.JPG

PK with the Preds

I think the Preds might end up his right uniform. Which Preds uniform is another question...