Players in the "wrong" uniforms

3 hours ago, C-Squared said:

The Hawks entered the decade with Dominik Hasek & Ed Belfour coached by Vladislav Tretiak... Chicago should have been a dynasty in the 90's.

I don't think Chicago ever really knew what they had in Hasek.  Hell, even after the trade to Buffalo the Sabres left him sitting on the bench while they went out and traded a 50 goal scorer in Andreychuk to get Grant Fuhr, who they had starting over Hasek.  It wasn't until Fuhr got hurt the following year that Hasek came into his own as a starter and became a superstar. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

It's interesting how much LA Dodgers fans embrace their Brooklyn heritage. I can't think of another fanbase that embraces their team's ex-city like that.

The Giants, Braves, and A's all encourage their fans in this direction. The A's use the Philadelphia white elephant logo, and the Braves have a Warren Spahn statue. The Giants have been most vocal about this lately, having brought their three recent World Series trophies to New York for display in their "former home" (in Larry Baer's own words), and having partially paid for the refurbishment of the outdoor stairway that stands near the Polo Grounds site and was installed by the New York Giants' owner.

But the Dodgers, being the biggest of all these clubs, have kept the continuity up the strongest.

It started early, when they filled the Coliseum for Roy Campanella Day in 1959.

roy_campanella_1959_0507_alston_ste.jpg.87f9e079fd9b93c771f9275eadc234c2.jpg

In 1972 at Dodger Stadium, they retired the numbers of Campanella and Jackie Robinson, neither of whom ever played in Los Angeles, alongside that of L.A. Dodgers star Sandy Koufax.

Roy-Campanella-Sandy-Koufax-Jackie-Robinson.png.2f9983352b988909e9b3f93e171eecc1.png

(Note the Brooklyn hat on Campy, as opposed to the L.A. hat he sported in 1959.)

In thinking about Kareem, a native New Yorker, who remained a Dodger fan even after the move, I can think of two other famous people who did the same: Larry King and Don Rickles.

(One might be tempted to name Frank Sinatra here also. But in fact Sinatra had been a New York Giants fan as a kid; he started supporting the Dodgers only after they went to Los Angeles, and really embraced them after Lasorda became manager.)

Side note: the Dodgers should take the L.A. logo off the sleeve. It clutters up a classic jersey, and stops the jersey from being identical to the jersey from the Brooklyn days.

• Like 3

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

17 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

It's interesting how much LA Dodgers fans embrace their Brooklyn heritage. I can't think of another fanbase that embraces their team's ex-city like that.

i was actually saying the same thing to a friend during game 7.

i said the only team that i can think of that even comes close is the dallas stars/north stars thing. i know that's controversial on this forum with some people, but i think the dodgers get it absolutely right. same team. honor it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ColeJ said:

i was actually saying the same thing to a friend during game 7.

i said the only team that i can think of that even comes close is the dallas stars/north stars thing. i know that's controversial on this forum with some people, but i think the dodgers get it absolutely right. same team. honor it.

I assume that part of it is that Brooklyn never got another team. The old New York Giants hat is basically a black version of the current New York Mets hat and Milwaukee, Philly, etc. are all still part of the league. Still, it's interesting that so many Angelenos wear another city's initial.

• Like 1

Ron-Lancaster-Ottawa-1960-11.jpg

I know I post a lot of obscure posts about the CFL here, but that is Ron Lancaster in the uniform of the Eastern Riders of the CFL, the now-defunct Ottawa Rough Riders. He started his career there in 1960 (he actually won a Grey Cup title as a rookie with them that year) and was traded in 1963 to the Western Riders, the still-operational Saskatchewan Roughriders, and embarked on his legendary career from there.

UBwef0L.png

On 11/8/2017 at 10:27 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

Man that uniform looks good there. There were issues with the home white uniforms being too black for my tastes but this one is a great use of that brick red color and the gold trim. 

I was thinking the same thing. The set as a whole was mediocre but that is a really nice red alt.

On 11/8/2017 at 9:27 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

Man that uniform looks good there. There were issues with the home white uniforms being too black for my tastes but this one is a great use of that brick red color and the gold trim. 

It’s only ok because they went to their first WS in it. I understand the whole union station BS they shoved down our throats but the only thing that could have lasted besides the orange and blue is the gold and blue. When they wear those for throwback nights it’s still a great look IMO. I was beyond pumped when they revealed the new set. I don’t care that it’s sorta bland without stars etc it has the H star and orange and blue that’s all that matters. I try to pretend that the brick era with wannabe yankee pinstripes didn’t happen but sadly it did.