Jump to content

Players in the "wrong" uniforms


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

Really? Because it was first called Enron Field on April 7, 2000, and wasn't renamed till 2002, and that picture of Gooden is from 2000.

Somebody should come up with a place to catalog Sports Logos on the Net. I bet they'd be a kajillionaire.

 

059vdba8xygvqj6shc0h65zxt.gif

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/059vdba8xygvqj6shc0h65zxt/Houston_Astros/2000/Stadium_Logo

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Somebody should come up with a place to catalog Sports Logos on the Net. I bet they'd be a kajillionaire.

 

059vdba8xygvqj6shc0h65zxt.gif

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/059vdba8xygvqj6shc0h65zxt/Houston_Astros/2000/Stadium_Logo

 

 

I stand corrected. In retrospect it was a great choice to not have the stadium name on the patch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These have probably been posted, but it's not practical to search and find out.  From 1975 until about 2000, I knew about everything there was to know about the Cincinnati Reds, but I had forgotten that George Foster played for the White Sox.  I was aware of Parker's time in Milwaukee, but it still doesn't seem real.

 

Image result for george foster white sox Image result for dave parker brewers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, DeFrank said:

Can you believe this one?

 

Ruth-Babe-RedSox.jpg

 

Is this guy in the "wrong"" uniform or wat????

 

Everyone knows that Babe Ruth played for the Red Sox.  The whole "curse" thing was based on that.

Here's a glimpse of him in a really wrong uniform:

Related image

 

The Babe was the first-base coach with the Dodgers in 1938.  Though he did sometimes take batting practice.

Image result for babe ruth brooklyn dodgers  Image result for babe ruth brooklyn dodgers

 

 

The strange thing is that he wore no. 35, as no. 3 was worn by a player by the name of Pete Coscarart.

 


Image result for babe ruth brooklyn dodgers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

 

Everyone knows that Babe Ruth played for the Red Sox.  The whole "curse" thing was based on that.

Here's a glimpse of him in a really wrong uniform:

Related image

 

The Babe was the first-base coach with the Dodgers in 1938.  Though he did sometimes take batting practice.

Image result for babe ruth brooklyn dodgers  Image result for babe ruth brooklyn dodgers

 

 

The strange thing is that he wore no. 35, as no. 3 was worn by a player by the name of Pete Coscarart.

 


Image result for babe ruth brooklyn dodgers

Don't forget his time with the Boston Braves.

GettyImages_107406717_y0qu4v17_5mwj3lcd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Babe Ruth pictures with the Dodgers made me realise that it's often when guys work as coaches that we see them in unfamiliar uniforms.  When they're managers, we remember them.  (It's sad that people will think that Mattingly in a Dodger uniform is not wrong.)  But when they're coaches, they kind of fade into obscurity.
 

Here are a few guys in uniforms that we definitely don't associate them with:

 

Image result for willie stargell braves    Related image  

 

Image result for dimaggio a's  Image result for yogi berra astros

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Image result for aaron boone marlins

Aaron Boone on the Marlins in 2007. I'm a Marlins fan and enjoyed his time here but man was it brief. He didn't even make it halfway through the season before suffering a season ending injury. Appeared in 69 games total.

 

Edit: After posting this I wondered where Boone went after 07 and it turns out in 2008 he was with the Nationals and in 2009 he played about a month with the Astros... 

Image result for aaron boone nationals

Image result for aaron boone astros

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/2/2017 at 3:28 AM, Tigers6884 said:

Doc Gooden, in his lone season (2000) in which he pitched for the Rays and Astros before collecting his second World Series ring with the Yankees, his third total. (He did not, however, play in the World Series against the Mets.)

 

f0883c9fa9ffe7a4fbc6651d5cc8b03c.jpg

 

These pics made me curious as to why the Rays dropped their inaugural uniforms so relatively quickly. They only spent 3 seasons in them. Considering how long the process of making a complete uniform overhaul takes, it's safe to assume they decided on dropping their inaugural set within 2 years of wearing them, if not less. I have to believe it's rare for any team to revamp their look so soon after their inception. Even if the uniform is ugly usually a new team sticks to their initial look for a while. Anyone have any insight as to how this happened? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

These pics made me curious as to why the Rays dropped their inaugural uniforms so relatively quickly. They only spent 3 seasons in them. Considering how long the process of making a complete uniform overhaul takes, it's safe to assume they decided on dropping their inaugural set within 2 years of wearing them, if not less. I have to believe it's rare for any team to revamp their look so soon after their inception. Even if the uniform is ugly usually a new team sticks to their initial look for a while. Anyone have any insight as to how this happened? 

The '90s ended. That's about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is one that is "wrong" only because it is unusual.  Though it is very right in terms of How Things Should Be.

Related image
 

It is Pele and Bobby Moore in the uniform of Team America, an all-star team of NASL players that competed in the Bicentennial Cup in 1976 against the national teams of England, Brazil, and Italy.

 

I feel a strong dislike for the concept of national teams. (So please don't tell anyone that I have a couple of hats featuring England's Three Lions crest.) In a better world, international competitions such as the World Cup would be contested not between national teams but between league all-star teams made up of players of various nationalities, on the model of this Team America.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, anythinglogos said:

Something like that was tried in the late ‘80’s. Here’s Maradona and Lothar Matthaus with the Serie A team

Nazionale_di_Lega_-_Milano_-_1988_-_Mara

they played against England and Scotland league teams but I can’t seem to find any pictures of those

 

Wow!  I'd really like to know more about this.  I never knew that there ever were any kind of all-star teams from the English or Scottish leagues.  This competition would presumably have taken place during the time that English clubs were banned from European football after the 1985 Heysel Stadium riot by Liverpool fans that resulted in the deaths of many Juventus fans. 

A tournament today involving teams from the Premier League, Serie A, La Liga, and the Bundesliga would be so interesting.  But, of course, the problem with a short tournament is that the players would have very little time to work out together, the same problem that plagues the MLS All-Star team that faces a visiting club every year. 

 

If only such a thing could completely replace the national team set-ups, so that the league teams could work together on an ongoing basis.  Otherwise, the matches involving these league teams would resemble something between workouts and friendlies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/4/2017 at 9:12 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The Babe Ruth pictures with the Dodgers made me realise that it's often when guys work as coaches that we see them in unfamiliar uniforms.  When they're managers, we remember them.  (It's sad that people will think that Mattingly in a Dodger uniform is not wrong.)  But when they're coaches, they kind of fade into obscurity.
 

Here are a few guys in uniforms that we definitely don't associate them with:

 

Image result for willie stargell braves    Related image  

 

Image result for dimaggio a's  Image result for yogi berra astros

 

 

 

 

 

Pops in a Braves uniform still is a wild one for me, even though I have vivid memories of when it happened. Also, I'll see your Gibby with the the Mets and raise you a Gibby with the Braves...

 

087124abce535f936a068e13aa839caf.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.