Players in the "wrong" uniforms

On 15/12/2017 at 1:37 AM, Lenny Dykstra said:

I remember how some of my old baseball cards were old looking bastards. Sparky Anderson is 39 in this picture. Anderson%20Sparky%20CR73-551_FL_NBLMcWil

Sparky looked 60 for decades.

Here's another guy who looked older than he was, and he is in a "wrong" uniform, to boot.

Gaylord Perry was 41 when he pitched for the Yankees in 1981.

p-342174-gaylord-perry-autographed-hand-

Compare that to Tom Seaver, who was 42 when he tried to make the Mets in 1987.

CT9PTPRWEAAMijp.jpg

(Historical note: even though Seaver was in uniform and travelling with the team in June of 1987, he was never activated. Rather than go to AAA to prepare, he participated in some simulated games in order to evaluate whether he could still compete on the Major League level. When those tests went poorly, he called it quits. But, during his time with the team that year, Seaver did get to mill about on the field as the Mets engaged in a melee against, if I remember correctly, the Cubs.)

• Like 3

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

21 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Sparky looked 60 for decades.

Here's another guy who looked older than he was, and he is in a "wrong" uniform, to boot.

Gaylord Perry was 41 when he pitched for the Yankees in 1981.

p-342174-gaylord-perry-autographed-hand-

Compare that to Tom Seaver, who was 42 when he tried to make the Mets in 1987.

CT9PTPRWEAAMijp.jpg

(Historical note: even though Seaver was in uniform and travelling with the team in June of 1987, he was never activated. Rather than go to AAA to prepare, he participated in some simulated games in order to evaluate whether he could still compete on the Major League level. When those tests went poorly, he called it quits. But, during his time with the team that year, Seaver did get to mill about on the field as the Mets engaged in a melee against, if I remember correctly, the Cubs.)

^ Although Seaver did spend one season wearing the 'racing-stripe' Mets uniform in his short-lived return to the Mets in its first season in 1983.

UBwef0L.png

On 12/22/2017 at 9:50 PM, nyratk1 said:

Tottenham Hotspur star Harry Kane on loan to Leicester in 2013.

leicester-380540.jpg

There's also apparently pics of him from his youth during his one year stay at Arsenal's academy but I don't want to anger Spurs fans.

Harry-Kane-Arsenal-Academy-520x245.jpg

harry-kane1.jpg

(I'm a Spurs supporter. This doesn't bug me. When he wears a Real Madrid shirt, that will bug me.)

• Like 1

ESPN discovering the wonders of players in the wrong uniform:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21891345/james-harrison-latest-pro-athlete-shock-fans-jersey-change

Honestly, I'd forgotten about Smith playing for the Cardinals, despite the fact that I'm a Cards fan and vaguely remember learning about it months ago.

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

12 hours ago, insert name said:

Kurt Warner (center)

kurt-warner-green-bay-06192014.jpg

Is that Mark Brunell to the left of Favre? If so I'm guessing this was in the '94 preseason. Kurt had several tryouts with GB before landing with the Rams. Also: awesome '90s hat he's wearing.

EDIT: Of course it's 1994; they're wearing the "75" patches.

13 hours ago, insert name said:

Kurt Warner (center)

kurt-warner-green-bay-06192014.jpg

Sorry for the double-post, but this picture is really kind of amazing when you think about it. Out of the four QBs pictured, two are in the Hall of Fame, a third isn't a HOFer but was a Pro Bowler (and played long enough to win a ring as Drew Brees' backup in New Orleans), and the fourth is a Heisman-winner (although he was a career backup as a pro). Quite a collection of talent there.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2017 at 1:18 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

Current Vegas Golden Knight point leader Jonathan Marchessault played 2 GAMES for the Columbus Blue Jackets: 

jonathan-marchessault-2014-2330.jpg

He went by Audy-Marchessault at that time so his nameplate was an eyeful 

12123714-large.jpgDetroit+Red+Wings+v+Columbus+Blue+Jacket

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

Tab Perry is not a name most people have heard and he spent his entire 3 year NFL career with the Bengals. This is a wrong uniform because this photo is from a 2005 game against the Texans and he's wearing the 97-03 pants.

T9LNUlz.jpguq4QNs5.jpg

I don't recall ever seeing this before. Other than it not matching up with the stupid white side panel I don't hate how it looks. 

• Like 3

PvO6ZWJ.png