larrypep

Players in the "wrong" uniforms

Recommended Posts

It's likely pad tape. It's  designed to hold down the jersey and it'll leave some goo that likely picks up field dirt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, fgoodwin said:

John Hadl as a Packer

tumblr_pewrcrpgbj1qlyvh1o1_640.jpg

 

this photo looks like one of the ones from the portait studios in Canton, OH where you (or in this case your Dad) can put on his favorite NFL uniform. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

 

this photo looks like one of the ones from the portait studios in Canton, OH where you (or in this case your Dad) can put on his favorite NFL uniform. 

The man looks like he is getting ready to retire...at his 9 to 5 job. He looks like he is pushing 60.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, insert name said:

Man was only in his 30s. People sure looked older back then. 

Right? I'm 34 and there are rookies from that time period who look older than me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2018 at 2:54 PM, MCM0313 said:

Right? I'm 34 and there are rookies from that time period who look older than me.

I'm going to be 37 in a month and a half and I was carded on the casino floor in Atlantic City a couple weeks ago. It's funny how some of us age well and others don't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2018 at 10:03 PM, jmac11281 said:

I'm going to be 37 in a month and a half and I was carded on the casino floor in Atlantic City a couple weeks ago. It's funny how some of us age well and others don't. 

 

But is looking cardable at 37 "aging well"? Just kidding! Haha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to think it was just a relativity thing, meaning that of course players looked older to me when I was younger than them, but those same players should appear younger to me now that i'm older than them, but that's not the case.  I don't know if it's just that they treated their bodies differently (or not at all), or drugs, partying all the time,  or what, but lots of athletes from even as recently as the early 90s look 10-15 years older than they are (by today's standards.)

 

It could also be the hair styles.  If you got rid of the mustaches on the players, maybe their faces would appear to be their actual age?  Or if you shaved the sides of the horseshoe-bald guys like as is done today, maybe that helps?

 

Let's just look at John Kruk from as recently as '94, compared to another Phillie with similar hair style.  

 

Kruk is and Werth are both 32 in these photos.  Granted, Werth isn't a fat pig (albeit a pig that was a hell of a hitter), but he looks considerably younger than Kruk, even if he too looks to be older than his age.

 

117339.jpg  61f5640f16b9b387db2e1af980c5dbaa.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m serious about this, but I’m not touting as a fact or anything... I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the widespread smoking back then. Half of all adults smoked, and even people who didn’t smoke were probably getting a cigarette or two secondhand from a young age. We’ve seen how wild drug use can age people today, so it wouldn’t shock me if inhaling smoke your whole life did the same thing back then. Athletes are also surely eating better and exercising more today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tom-Scott-Calgary-1984.jpg

Going north of the border yet again, this is Tom Scott, who started his career with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, then was traded for the rights to receiver Joe Poplwaski to the Edmonton Eskimos, where he spent his best years (appearing in all five of the Esks' Grey Cup wins from 1978 to 1982), finishing out his career as a Calgary Stampeder in 1984.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2018 at 10:55 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

I used to think it was just a relativity thing, meaning that of course players looked older to me when I was younger than them, but those same players should appear younger to me now that i'm older than them, but that's not the case.  I don't know if it's just that they treated their bodies differently (or not at all), or drugs, partying all the time,  or what, but lots of athletes from even as recently as the early 90s look 10-15 years older than they are (by today's standards.)

 

It could also be the hair styles.  If you got rid of the mustaches on the players, maybe their faces would appear to be their actual age?  Or if you shaved the sides of the horseshoe-bald guys like as is done today, maybe that helps?

 

Let's just look at John Kruk from as recently as '94, compared to another Phillie with similar hair style.  

 

Kruk is and Werth are both 32 in these photos.  Granted, Werth isn't a fat pig (albeit a pig that was a hell of a hitter), but he looks considerably younger than Kruk, even if he too looks to be older than his age.

 

117339.jpg  61f5640f16b9b387db2e1af980c5dbaa.jpg

 

 

 

Y.A. Tittle was 37 years old in this famous photo:

ap_6409200133_wide-15412d647b9e5f2157916

 

I used to think that was so old. Now I'm six months away from that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea players definitely looked older back in the day. There's so many young baby faced looking athletes nowadays and back in my youth almost every player looked like a father of 4 who had been married for 25 years by that point, an Al Bundy type that got home tossed his briefcase and opened up a beer before plopping down on the couch for the rest of the night... and then you come to compare the ages and they were just as young as the players are now.

 

Here's Clayton Kershaw at 30 years old... and just because I'm a Marlins fan here's Bryan Harvey from 1993 also at 30 years old...

Related imageRelated image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.