Players in the "wrong" uniforms

42 minutes ago, Maroon&Gold said:

Joe Mauer was a top 5 catcher in baseball history while wearing the pinstripes. In the gold drop-shadow he was a below average first baseman

spacer.png

I think that should go in this thread :) can't disagree with you though! glad he only ever played for the Twins.

Yankees' Larry Rothschild has history with Dwight Gooden, who was ...

Dwight Gooden's last year, 2000, was split between three teams. I've posted his time as an Astro (in their then-new uniforms introduced that seasoN), and here is his second stopover on the year, with the then-three year old Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

• Like 2

UBwef0L.png

Running backs at the end of the line would be an interesting subthread. There's a long line of Jamaal Charles in Jacksonville and Thurman Thomas in Miami and Emmitt Smith in Arizona and similar.

When I first started paying attention to the NFL in the mid-90s, running back was the premier and coolest position in sports. To see it have fallen so far (like an NBA center) is saddening.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 4/30/2020 at 2:49 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Running backs at the end of the line would be an interesting subthread. There's a long line of Jamaal Charles in Jacksonville and Thurman Thomas in Miami and Emmitt Smith in Arizona and similar.

When I first started paying attention to the NFL in the mid-90s, running back was the premier and coolest position in sports. To see it have fallen so far (like an NBA center) is saddening.

One less obvious player that comes to my mind right away is Herschel Walker.  I'm not sure what his right team is - I'm going to go with Vikings, but I understand if people say Cowboys - but he also wore an Eagles and a Giants uniform (before returning to Dallas.)  He was still in his prime (albeit the tail end of it) and great in Phila, but kind of at the end when he went over to the Giants.

Also - why did guys wear such big shoulder pads back in the day?  Wouldn't they want to be smaller to slip through holes?  And have more flexibility to catch balls (though RBs weren't nearly the receivers that they are today)?

9299834.jpg  oct-1995-running-back-herschel-walker-of8204f6eff4c5bf268491ae23196a6a4b.jpgCowboys-Herschel-Walker-612871fd7030289a61OPTEJeHHL._AC_SY445_.jpg

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

oct-2000-neil-smith-of-the-san-diego-cha

The amazing Neil Smith, who played for three out of the four AFC West teams (best known for his tenure with the Kansas City Chiefs, but he won two Super Bowl rings with the Denver Broncos), finished out his career playing in a SINGLE game for the San Diego Chargers in 2000.

UBwef0L.png

Greg Townsend was a good DL for the Raiders for 11 seasons... and finished up with one for the Eagles:

4f7abef3e0b04c0e97fcf15acd286aa9_front.j

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."